Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non ethonol 90 octane fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by shore
OR you could just put a little Marine Sta-Bil in with each tank and not worry about it.

It's that simple. Sta-Bil stops the break down process of ethanol....it won't reverse it but it will prolong the "shelf-life" of what we are all going to be using.

It really is that simple.

Marine Sta-Bil is a more concentrated version. Hardly costs more and a bottle last for awhile. You'll waste more money trying to find a non-ethanol station.
So what's the difference between regular Sta-bil and marine Sta-bil, just the concentration of additives? Is there anywhere I can verify your statement? Are you saying that I don't have to worry about ethanol if I use marine sta-bil? Reason I ask is that I have an older bike (37 years old) that I don't ride all that often and I'm getting concerned since I have ethanol 10% in it that's been it it for about 4 months. It still starts and runs but I would dump some marine sta-bil in it if there's some validation that it's beneficial.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can check for pure gasoline by location here:

http://pure-gas.org/

Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, we'll use more fuel, however foriegn oil imports will be reduced by 10 %, limiting the funds sent to kill our soldiers and citizens. The extra expense will provide income for Americans.

Last edited by Harleyboyddk; 01-07-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I keep hearing these stories of E10 not causing problems but I sure don't enjoy rebuilding my boat carbs every year and it's become an annual project. My weed eater and hedge trimmer gave up the ghost after e10 ate out the fuel lines...

Old 01-07-2011, 11:40 PM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyboyddk
Yes, we'll use more fuel, however foriegn oil imports will be reduced by 10 %.....
No, sorry, that is what our politicians would have you believe, but it is absolutely not true. Gas displaced (NOT saved) by ethanol is consumed by farm equipment used to raise the corn and by the transport trucks used to take the grain to distilleries.

Please read the article cited - it will be an eye opener. The extra expense is not income to Americans, but tax subsidies to Archer, Daniels, Midland (ADM) and higher prices to consumers.

Even Al Gore admitted he lied about ethanol to appease the farmers in Iowa in order to win the first presidential primary election of the season - they all do. There is no consumer or national benefit, and it consumes more energy to produce than it returns - plain and simple.

Ride in Peace.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

First octane has nothing to do with power. It a measurement of resistance to ignition only.

Second - alcohol has far less btu's than gasoline. To use it requires much bigger capacity injectors.
It is corrosive to metal. You can get more power from it by having much higher compression and dumping more of it in.

Alcohol is the dumbest thing to use in a internal combustion motor when there are better products available.

Your tax dollars subsidize it from helping to build the production plants to transporting it and raising corn. If it had to make it on its own it would not survive as a fuel. It only makes our 535 members of congress richer from the bribes that they get to require it to be used.

There I go again. I meant to say campaign contributions.

Last edited by lh4x4; 01-07-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ethanol sounds good reducing oil imports but the negatives any many.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environmen...sis_quest.html
Rice University analysis questions U. S. ethanol subsidies
Federal taxpayers forked over $1.95 a gallon in ethanol subsidies in 2008 on top of the retail gasoline price, a new white paper from Rice University's Baker Institute for Public Policy found.

The University of Minnesota has also studied ethanol you can Google it. When you are Googling it you are likely to come across sites that think it's a good idea. Those sites are put up by the guys pocketing the $1.95 a gallon of our tax money.

By memory this is what I recall ethanol doing for us;

reduced fuel milage
corrosive to metal and rubber parts of the fuel system
higher grain prices filtering through the entire food system
tax subsidies of $1.95 per gallon
very inefficient in that it consumes a great deal of energy to produce / Biodiesel from soybeans, however is very efficient in this regard

Your state may have pure gas - Google Non-Oxygenated and your state. Or if you are aware of car collector's clubs in your area you can ask them. If you are in Minnesota this car club publishes a list of stations that carry gas with no fillers. Click Features to DL the list. www.msra.com/

Here is what the pumps look like in Minnesota

Certainly modern fuel systems have been designed to resist corrosion from ethanol since its introduction into the fuel supply. Pure gasoline is the holy grail to antique & collector car clubs for this reason. It's just that I don't want to put something into my bike or car that is a just a little corrosive and is ok if I don't use it at a rate that exceeds 10%.