Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non ethonol 90 octane fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:58 PM
broziff
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Non ethonol 90 octane fuel

It seems the state of Florida as of the new year has ban the sale of higher than 90 octane non ethonol fuel. Question is do you think I need to add octane boost or is 90 octane non ethonol ok for my bike. I think the manual recomends 92. My bike still ran good on it 90 non ethonol much better than 93 with ethonol. This ethonol debockle is really getting out of hand they are killing us with this ethonol crap.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your bike will tell you if it don't like it. (Ping, sluggish, etc).

Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a link to that law? I'm googling but can't come up with anything.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 PM
broziff
Tourer

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
Do you have a link to that law? I'm googling but can't come up with anything.
No I dont the Gas station owner told me that today I went in and asked him about it after I filled up. I asked if it was permanatly he said yes and thats when he told me it was state wide. He was the owner its a mom and pop. He painted over the 93 on his pump. I didnt actually read it anywhere I took his word for it.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. I've been running 91 octane (highest I can easily find) in both E10 and no ethanol versions. Bike runs fine on both (as does every other gas powered vehicle or piece of equipment I have), I just lose about 2 mpg on E10 but save about $.15 per gallon so it pretty much evens out money wise. And no, nothing has corroded or fallen apart even on my 15 yr old 2 cycle LawnBoy.

I just re-read that and realized it didn't answer your question. I personally run the 91 unless it's not available since my compression is a bit higher than stock at 10.3:1 However, you "should" be ok with either fuel unless you notice pinging on the 90 like Ed mentioned. Octane booster does it in "points"... meaning 4 points would get you to 90.4 FWIW.

Last edited by 07RoadHawg; 01-05-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
broziff
Tourer

Ive had to replace a carb on my stihl blower bought from a mower shop luckily it was still under warranty and I didnt buy it from the major home store chains. The mower shop fella told me he sees this alot due to the ethonol when stored even for short periods turns to alcohol and eats up seals and in my case there were little freeze plugs and it corroded the adhesive around them. Ethonol will be a problem for your small engines boat motors, lawn equipment and motorcycles. Consider yourself lucky if it hasnt happend to you yet but it will this is nothing new. As for my Harley I find that the motor runs smoother/better meaning less noise and no chattering especally going up hills on long rides when the engine is laboring at higher RPMs.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run two bikes and a Chrysler 300 on 10% ethanol with no problems. Keeps 10% of cost of a gallon of fuel here in America instead of transfering more wealth to countries that openly support our enemies. Nascar and Indycars are running ethanol. Brazil has become energy independant converting sugar cane to ethanol. If you haven't noticed, this nation is broke. To give our last dollars to our enemies is insane.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I work a marine dealership and the ethonol is really effecting the older boats. The ethonol is a great cleaner and it is braking loose the trash on the wall of the fuel tanks. It breaks the trash down to their smallest partical which will go threw most of the fuel filters. Every boat that doesn't have a 10 micron filter system gets one.

Yamaha has come out with there own fuel stablized designed for the ethonol. I use it in everything that has the same gas in it for more than a few weeks. so far it has worked great in all my lawn equipment and my generator.

Fuel doesn't stay in my Harley long enought to worry about it. But, I would like to know what the pass rating is on the harley fuel filters.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 AM
hogrider09
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Screw up the gas. I hope they dont go to 15% ethanol. There is a place close by that has 93 prem w/non ethanol. NICE

Old 01-06-2011, 02:29 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Guy that lives behind me has a huge small engine repair business. He told me ethanol has been really good for business, but he doesn't put it in any of his stuff and warned me not to use it unless I ran the tank dry before storing. Bought a used Honda ATV and had to have the carb redone because of ethanol. IMO the only good thing it has done is make the corn farmers richer. A top notch mechanic here locally tells me the ethanol will cause problems, after a period of 6 or 7 years, in vehicles that aren't rated for "flex fuel". So the poorer folks who can only afford older vehicles are in for a shock when they buy that real slick one owner, about 7 years old and have to spend a grand (they don't have) to fix the fuel system six months later.

Quick Reply: Non ethonol 90 octane fuel