Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if you "lose" your gas cap...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:33 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Last winter's gas cap thread was entertaining. I'm hoping this one gets better.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

On bikes where the gas cap open and exposed to the top it's quite obvious when you forget. If you don't see that it's missing you will soon FEEL that it's missing because the air rushing over the tank will draw the fuel out and spill it all over you. The lid and center console on touring bikes cut down the wind so it's not a problem. Some 30 years ago a buddy I was riding with did not screw the cap down tightly on his bike and it came flying off as we were riding. He was soon baptised with fuel and ended up doing the sock in the tank technique.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Years ago a buddy had a Scirroco when FI began to appear on cars. His car would run very poorly, like it was only running on 2 cylinders if you left the gas cap off or if there was an air leak anywhere on the filler tube. I guess back then the fuel pumps/emissions canister systems worked quite a bit differently and utilized some kind of vaccuum in the tank but today's systems it doesn't matter.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Bfazona
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the previous posts state, you should be fine to run the bike without your cap, minus thr spill risk. How do I know this, the first fill-up on my '11 RG I forgot to replace the gas cap. My Lowrider has the cap in sight, so you would know if it was missing, but the RG has the fuel door to hide the cap. I rode 220 miles without a cap and had no issues, no even a spilled drop, which is hard to believe. Only thing hurt was my pride since my wife still mentions it everytime I get gas.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NECaveman
I bought a spare cap from the HD dealer. I keep it in the saddle bag. About $15 each.
Yes, and I also carry spare plugs, spare belt, spare handlebars and spare tire.

Problem is my bags are the size of refrigerators.

(Pure sarcasm). People worry too much.

bTW: I had a seal go bad on my gas cap last season. I don't recall the replacement cap being any where near as low as $15.
Don't recall the exact figure, but it was closer to $40. Over $30 for sure. OEM cap. Maybe an aftermarket one is cheaper.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 01-06-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM
streetbobkid
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost always stick my gas cap on hanger where the handle of the pump goes, never forgot it while sticking it there

Old 01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

AND Why doesn't the fuel door flip forward and why doesn't the fuel cap have a retaining cord?

Oh well.

lp

Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Put the cap on the right footboard next to the brake lever. That way you will not forget it when you leave as your foot will remind you. And, it wont fall off the seat (if you place it there) and roll around on the gas station drive to be run over by the brain dead idiots who roar through the pumps.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:11 PM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being disteacted is the fastest way to being run down. If you cant keep track of your gas cap, you need to rethink how you ride.
The only time its ever off, is when you are filling. You wont get far before you are soaked.
I bought an after market cap, the OEM is in the tool box drawer. I can not conceive ever needing to use it.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 PM
BADBREW
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff W
OK, im thinking even if its behind a door, your only pumping 4 to 6 gallons right, it cant take so long to pump so little gas, and if your attention gets so lost in so little time, well....
Its not the attention that gets lost its the mind. I have that age old affliction called Sometimers disease. Sometimes I remember, Sometimes I don't. I always sum it up to people as "Too many pockets-not enough memory"

Quick Reply: What if you "lose" your gas cap...?