Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if you "lose" your gas cap...?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:07 AM
jpglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. This forum is full of great info.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:28 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think my wife has discovered the answer to the age old question, what is the differance between a biker and and an enthusiast. I read her this post and she said a biker knows when the gas cap is on. Why would it be easier to lose a gas cap on a bagger ?

Old 01-06-2011, 02:07 AM
jpglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would it be easier to lose a gas cap on a bagger ? [/

Gas cap is behind fuel door, not exposed.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:28 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, that helps a little. Maybe a string like the brake rotor lock. It just seems if you take your gas cap off and you pay for gas and your at a gas station, you would remember the hole in your tank needs to be plugged. Maybe its late and I need to go to bed. Been a very long day and this thread pushed me over the edge. good nite

Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The consciensious biker does his/her texting while filling the tank, forgot to replace cap...

Old 01-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, im thinking even if its behind a door, your only pumping 4 to 6 gallons right, it cant take so long to pump so little gas, and if your attention gets so lost in so little time, well....

Old 01-06-2011, 05:24 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ripper43
It won't hurt the motor at all... Now, you can get a replacement cap at any auto parts for about $5-6 bucks my Dodge truck cap works on my bike. or you can spend $12 at the dealer for the one that has the bar & shield on it. Most gas stations have a collection of caps right behind the counter that poor souls like yourself have left behind. Ask for one, they will give it to you in most cases. I don't believe all caps are the same thread, but most are.
+1 on that. I was filling up my bike one day when I noticed a cap on top of the pumps some other driver had left there. It wasn't a Harley cap, but it fit just fine.

I left it there in case the guy came back, but made a mental note that if I ever lost one while touring, I could pick one up at an auto store for $5

Old 01-06-2011, 05:32 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jpglide
Why would it be easier to lose a gas cap on a bagger ? [/

Gas cap is behind fuel door, not exposed.
I dont get it either.. I take off my cap and put it on my seat.. no way I am driving off with it under my fat a$$... lol

Old 01-06-2011, 06:20 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had it happen to me but like everything else in life it happens. **** that is.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stops at gas station and pulls in front of pump. Shuts bike off and makes sure not to forget to put the kick stand down. Climbs off of bike and walks into clerk and pays for gas. Then walks up to bike and takes the key and opens flip top door where you fill gas into bike. Removes gas cap and sits it on top of pump. Fills tank very cautiously, so as to not spill and gas on tank. Fills tank to the brim. Put hose back and closes top to gas tank, then climbs back on bike and starts bike, then resets b trip miles. Rides off forgetting gas cap on top of pump. First time was excusable, secound time it happen was stupid, third time was a sign that I had a strange erotic thing for new gas caps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What if you "lose" your gas cap...?