Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License plate bolt light......

Old 01-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default License plate bolt light......

I'm moving my license plate to below the turn signal bar with a SoftBrake mount. I will have to find a way to light the plate. Has anyone here used the LED license plate bolts to do that? I was told by one guy that he tried it and used one on each corner but it only lighted the corner not the whole plate and you still couldn't read the plate at night.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm doing basically the same thing, I was thinking of just changing the tail light lens to one with the clear part on the bottom. I'll run that until someone says I can't.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

I looked at them and thought the same- if you go that way, cyclegear ( chain store) has them for about $20 a pair.

in the end I got a roadking signal bar with undermount license plate- just had to splice the LEDS into the run light. I also used the rear lens with no window and the RK signal bar was a little narrower than the original bar on my Classic- which I liked

this is an 09+ rear fender, so wider. cost used from a forum Pal was about $100.

ended up like this:

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-08-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know for sure, but I did buy a package of four for Ten bucks at the Pilot truck stop this last weekend. It looks like they wouldn't shine any direct light on the plate however. I am going to try a couple, or all four to see for myself. As it is, my smoked rear lens has an LED bulb so it doesn't light up my plate either. I'll come back here and post how it did work out.
I'm also going back to buy a pack of blue ones and am going to mount one in between my left hard bag and the rear swing arm facing to the rear. Maybe it will get me pulled over, maybe not. Time will tell!

aka Bob

Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I looked at them and thought the same- if you go that way, cyclegear ( chain store) has them for about $20 a pair.

in the end I got a roadking signal bar with undermount license plate- just had to splice the LEDS into the run light. I also used the rear lens with no window and the RK signal bar was a little narrower than the original bar on my Classic- which I liked

ended up like this:

Your bike looks great in the solo mode.I like the RK setup too.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

My dealer has a license plate frame that has 4 LEDs across the top aimed down on the plate. If it will fit ok I think I'm going to try that.

I thought about the RK turn signal bar but I don't think the pre '09 is the same as the '09 and later. The fender is wider on the new bikes so it won't fit my '08 fender and I don't think the older Kings have the plate on the bottom.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Arnold63
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
I'm moving my license plate to below the turn signal bar with a SoftBrake mount. I will have to find a way to light the plate. Has anyone here used the LED license plate bolts to do that? I was told by one guy that he tried it and used one on each corner but it only lighted the corner not the whole plate and you still couldn't read the plate at night.
I used them on My "brand x" tourer,I liked the way they looked. Kind of a blue tint to them and seemed plenty bright. Cops may hassle you though,they dont like blue lights on the tag! I will say this about them,they are a pain in the *** to work with. The wires are like hair strands,and you have to unwire them to change a plate. If I did it again I would use a lighted [lit?] plate frame. Looking back now,I guess I could have clipped the bolt holes to let the wires thru,but they still sucked to work with.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:11 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Laydown tail light lens with clear bottom.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3400541

Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by acchd
Laydown tail light lens with clear bottom.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3400541
I'm installing a "Bright *** Light" which doesn't come with the down shining license plate light.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:20 PM
gtrb
Road Warrior
Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Tried to use these on an Ultra. Bought them on eBay. There isn't a lot of room to work and couldn't turn the wrench to tighten the nut onto the threads. Turned the threaded part of the light into the nut and twisted off the wires from all the roatation. Ended up buying the license bracket with the LED lights and it worked fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: License plate bolt light......