Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Rediron
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio?

I have an 04 EG with a blown up radio and I have been looking at the sony cdxm60 from biketronics. It is the only one of four models available from biketronics that say ready for xm radio. Two of the others say compatible with xm tuners. I have and idea what the difference is but am not 100 percent sure. I want xm radio on the bike so I was wondering if all I need in the way of hardware is the xm ready sony head unit and a subscription ( with my stock hidden antenna) or is there something else I will need to get xm.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:48 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to read the info on that radio again. It looks like it does require an add-on unit for XM or HD radio. Does come with a USB port which is nice though.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Go to crutchfield.com for detailed information on head units; you'll probably also find useful information on terminology.

You can also call biketronics; very helpful folks.

Carl

Old 01-07-2011, 08:57 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When a head unit is listed as xm compatible or ready, it means that when you buy the generic xm module, the xm info will display on the head unit. The xm add on unit will plug into the radio and the xm antenna will plug into the module.

Not sure how that will work with the hand controls. I would bet that when you scroll through the sources of the head unit, xm will appear as an option like fm, am, or cd. Should give you full integration if you use the kit.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i checked those out, the best bang for the buck, now this is my thinking, not saying your choice is bad, is the cdx-gt700-hd. reason is, it has the built in H-D tuner, for the FM stations, which now they have a ton of, which are FREE, and the i-pod and USB port on the front, which is GREAT!! if you don't have the i-pod you can use the USB flash drive which you can get now for cheap, i have a 4gb flash drive with over 1000 songs on it i play in the truck. on my radio, all you have to do is plug it in and your good to go, and when your done just unplug it and put it in your pocket. the only thing is this radio is not marine which i don't see it being a problem, and it does has a detachable face which is good. the xm station are good i had them but found the H-D stations was just as good and free.

Last edited by vtwinbob; 01-07-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Rediron
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the posts, you guys were right, you have to install a tuner, an antenna, and a pia (interface adapter). All that crap won't fit under my fairing with my amp so I think I'm gonna go with the HD unit, cdx gt700hd. I would love to have xm but until the hardware loses a few pounds I will have to pass

Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Geoff of NV
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CALL BIKETRONICS!!

I've got their setup on my 06 Standard and it all fits inside the fairing. Yes, it's a tight fit and it took a few tries to get it right. The big bonus from my point of view is that there's nothing hanging on the handlebars and it's all controlled from the handlebar switches. I did try putting the XM antenna inside the fairing but it didn't work worth a damn so had to find a home for it on the top of the inner fairing.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I'm getting XM through my Zumo, with the antenna inside the fairing. The reception is spotty at best. I've got the iPhone ap too, that may work better, I haven't tried it yet.