Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lurker ready to buy 2005 Electra Glide Ultra, Then; Service Fee, Doc. Fee, Extended W

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Vt Rider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lurker ready to buy 2005 Electra Glide Ultra, Then; Service Fee, Doc. Fee, Extended W

I've been reading the forum for quite a while as I've been researching what to buy. I found a 2005 Electra Glide Ultra with 9k miles at a local dealer. I had already found financing and went in today to work a deal. They wanted $13,995, I offered $13,000 back and forth a bit then we went in to look at the numbers and they hit me with a $469 Service Fee, $199 Document Fee and $1500 for a 3 year extended warranty suddenly we've elevated the price more then $2000 from where we started. They said I was qualified for 10.99% through Harley Davidson which seemed high.

I've gotten them to come down to $13600, got rid of the $469 Service Fee and then they started negotiating the financing rate. They said they could drop it to 9.99%, and then they asked if I would do it at 8.99%. I told them I didn't like the games and felt like they were trying to get me to pay points on the loan.

Then we started discussing the Extended Warranty which they strongly recommend. Of course they do!

I left it that I would think about it over night and let them know.

Any thoughts from the group on the motorcycle, the deal and or the extended warranty?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Which dealer did you go to?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Vt Rider
Any thoughts from the group on the motorcycle, the deal and or the extended warranty?[/FONT][/COLOR]
(A) Make sure you understand what the "extended warranty" covers and does not cover...you might be surprised at the difference in your definition and theirs.

(2) The price just sound a bit high to me...or I'm pricing my '08 UC (with ABS) too low.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Vt Rider
Intermediate
Default Green Mountain Harley

I went to Green Mountain Harley. Very nice group, turns out the salesman who wasn't there today is an old friend of mine.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

FWIW , I bought my 05 EG Classic in October 2007 for 13.5k. 9k is very low miles but it's still a 6 y/o bike. That said, I love my 05 and have no desire for a newer ride. The only things I ever heard about the 05's were that the early bikes had problems with the valve seals (not sure if this was a warranty item or not) but I think they fixed it with a mid-year change. The other thing is it has the pre-07 spring loaded cam tensioners. I have not had a problem with mine but others have had some early failures. I have almost 50k now and it runs great.

The bikes are great, what is a fair price is up to you.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

You would do better at Wilkins, just saying. John is great. I had bought my 04 from there.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

The financing rate sounds terrible. Look around at your local credit unions. I got a loan for 3% just for opening an account with $50. Not a fan of extended warranties either.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a big fan of the extended warranty. Bought it on my first HD and have not used it (hope I did not just jinx myself) and skipped it on the used 07 we just bought for her.

They keep working the finance rate which is their job, wouldn't take it as anything personal. But you said you had financing lined up......how is your rate in comparison? Lowest rate/shortest length of term in your budget wins!

I would answer Dawg's question, he would be a great source for some info in the Vermont area.skip this, I see you did BTW......welcome to the forum!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

The 05's had valve-itis as we call it. You should look for an 06 or better

Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Sounds like they are trying to take advantage of you. If you have financing at a better rate, why even consider HD financing. $199 doc fee??? WOW! Not sure where your at, but around here it's $70. and I think that's high to fill out paper work. a service fee??? NO WAY! As for the warranty, $1500 can go a long way if you do your own repairs.

I would find another dealer. Also check the classifieds here, as well as ebay. Price seems on the high side.

Quick Reply: Lurker ready to buy 2005 Electra Glide Ultra, Then; Service Fee, Doc. Fee, Extended W