Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering tie-down points

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Bgill
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Stop by a local dealer ask if you can watch them open a crate containing a new youring bike from the MOCO.

Very enlightening everything is tied down very low. I now strap around the front forks just above the the fender mounting bolts to anchor my front end. The passenger floorboard mounts in the rear.

Also use a Condor wheel chuck up front and the rear tire sits in a U shaped piece of channel iron a buddy made for me.

Just to play it safe once everythiing mentioned above is already in play I strap up high in the front off the handlebars but I don't torque them don't as tight as the rest, these are used more for stabilty and safety net in case something else unexpected happens along the way

I haul at high speeds and occasionally through mountains and have never had an issue whether hauling 1 bike or 4.

Last edited by Bgill; 01-09-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I take two soft ties and choke around each fork just above the front fender bracket's. the rear, I tie from the passenger foot peg bracket's. Never lost one yet and no pressure on front forks.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:04 PM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the front forks (where the fender mounts to forks) pulling the bike forward into the chalk, the rear is just snug enough to keep the back tire from moving around so you can either strap the wheel down or find an anchor point on both sides of the bike to strap like the floorboards and pull them forward just enough to squat the suspension.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:10 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I always spend a little extra time and money and double strap each point to a seperate eye bolt in the floor. Never know if a strap could break or loosen or whatever. Makes me fell better.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Lots of great innovative ideas. Thanks for all the inputs.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I am going to be installing Kuryakyn Teardrop tie downs on the upper forks.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/856...-Down-Brackets

Old 01-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Nobody has pictures ????

Old 01-10-2011, 02:24 AM
bikehe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
I am going to be installing Kuryakyn Teardrop tie downs on the upper forks.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/856...-Down-Brackets
Those look like the goods. Never new they existed till now, thanks guntoter. I think I will have to get a pair of them ladies

Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 AM
2004vmc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgill
Stop by a local dealer ask if you can watch them open a crate containing a new youring bike from the MOCO.

Very enlightening everything is tied down very low. I now strap around the front forks just above the the fender mounting bolts to anchor my front end. The passenger floorboard mounts in the rear.

Also use a Condor wheel chuck up front and the rear tire sits in a U shaped piece of channel iron a buddy made for me.

Just to play it safe once everythiing mentioned above is already in play I strap up high in the front off the handlebars but I don't torque them don't as tight as the rest, these are used more for stabilty and safety net in case something else unexpected happens along the way

I haul at high speeds and occasionally through mountains and have never had an issue whether hauling 1 bike or 4.
+1 on this. i used to do all sorts of creative crap to try to secure my other bikes on a trailer. but, after seeing this, i do it the same way every time. i also use the boards under the frame, right under the motor. when you strap down the front, where there is no suspension travel, there is no tension on the suspension, when you tighten up the straps on the handle bars (not too tight, as was stated above) if you give it room to bounce, it will. and in the rear, i also use soft straps to the passenger foot board mounts.

i readjusted all of my anchor points on my trailers, now i can fit two full size touring bikes, with crash bars, and high way pegs, side by side on mine (6 1/2 foot wide) without crossing lines over one another from each bike. all of the straps are near vertical now, and dont interfere with each other.

corb