Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 01-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Road Captain
Question Trailering tie-down points

I picked up a dual Kendon standup trailer recently and am looking for some ideas on securing my Road King for a trip out west. I have 21" soft-strap extensions to go with the ratchet straps. I don't want to use the handlebar up front since this will surely damage the bushings.

My bike has a fairing and extended hard bags.

Thanks in advance

2012 Road Glide Custom, 103", SE Pro Race Tuner, Cycle Visions Mo Flow Air Intake, Rinehart Duals. RC Comp. Epic Wheels, , Lowered Front/Rear (Arnott Air 12" Aldan), Bad Dad 4" Stretched Saddlebags, Sirius XM w/Boom Audio.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:17 PM
One Of The Regulars

I use my engine guard up frount ; and bag guards in rear. Maybe take off your bags and go to frame?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Banned

i use the engine guard with highway pegs to secure in the front. I use the passenger pegs in the rear. I ratchet it down tight and have no problems
Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Social Media Sucks Bigtime Just sayin....

Two soft ties round the frame at the top of the engine guard where it intersects with the frame. Then one each on the main floorboard support. Connect them to the main tie-downs and crank it down. I check the ties once in the first 45 minutes of travel and re-tighten if needed. Then I check em every time I stop for gas, etc. I have trailered my FLHX as far as North Carolina twice and it has never moved.
Just a little extra blingy-bling here and there.

"If you only knew the power of the dark side! " - Darth Vader
"Vader"
Old 01-09-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCOMMISH View Post
Two soft ties round the frame at the top of the engine guard where it intersects with the frame. Then one each on the main floorboard support. Connect them to the main tie-downs and crank it down. I check the ties once in the first 45 minutes of travel and re-tighten if needed. Then I check em every time I stop for gas, etc. I have trailered my FLHX as far as North Carolina twice and it has never moved.

+1 on this, same here!!!

2006 Street Glide FLHXI, Black Pearl, Blue Dakota Digital Gauges, DNA Greed Wheels 21/ 16", 13" Cyclesmith Bagger Bars, Sony DSX-S300BTX Stereo, 2 Alpine SPS 610 in the fairing, 2 Alpine SPS 610C in the lower fairings, 4-Alpine SPS-619 speakers in the Saddlebags, 2 Rockford Fosgate PBR 300x4 Amps under the fairing, Harley Cam Plate Upgrade with Andrews 26N Conversion Cams, CVO Screaming Eagle Slip Ons, Passing Light Kit, Loads of Chrome. Over 85k miles!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Senior Rider

Up front tie to frame where engine guard meets. For the rear we run a strap through a slot in the rear wheel down low. Doesn't move an inch and have pulled a trailer with four bikes from TX to Montana.
103"
SERT
V&H ovals
Old 01-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Road Master

Going thru some old American Bagger rags (July2010) I saw this for the ones with trailer queens. They showed how to install it on a bat wing bike. It bolts on with the two gas tank bolts and the top engine guard bolt.

http://www.kiwi-indian.com/new-harley-prod.html
Old 01-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelbagger1964 View Post
i use the engine guard with highway pegs to secure in the front. I use the passenger pegs in the rear. I ratchet it down tight and have no problems
The rear passenger pegs are a great place to secure to. I use those, a WheelDock Chock up front, and a strap through the front wheel to the front tie down eyes. Both down tubes in the front just above the crash bar are also good.

2011 RKC Power Duals/Monster Rounds/SE A/C
2013 Yamaha XT1200Z
Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Use the bars - no damage will occur. I've towed many bikes many thousands of miles (racing) using the handle bars with zero negative effects. What will help is a brace you can pull the front of the bike down onto which will remove any suspension rebound from serious bumps or g-outs.
I made mine from three 2x6's, one on top of another (all about 8" long) with a piece of carpet on top. Put it underneath the forward part of the lower frame rails and pull the bike down onto it. You can then tie the rear of the bike down and it will never go anywhere.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Prospect
Send a message via AIM to bikehe

I also use some electrical tape on the front brake lever and apply the front brakes. Not too much pressure, just enough to help stop the bike rolling, as I dont have one of those wheel chocks.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 PM

P