Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bigger Sprocket for 07 & 08s??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 AM
gregsdart
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 08 RK, didn't like the 2.79 final. The 9.9 percent increase would push it to roughly 3.06, only 6.6 percent higher than the 2011 bikes. That change and an increase in first gear ratio of about 5 percent would really help out with parking lot handling.

Last edited by gregsdart; 02-04-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:59 AM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

iclick,
I can't tell you if the cruise will still work (with the Power Vision or TTS) after correcting the speedo, it should, but I am so sure it will work on your 07 SG after you change the rear pulley that I will buy this 68t pulley and bearing from you if it doesn't. What happens is this; the ecm reads the rpm vs speedo. When it sees a close match, it will allow cruise to function. The folks on this forum that lost cruise or the lite or both, changed the gears inside the primary, now they messed with the match between the tach and speedo. The ECM knows something is wrong when it sees no match. When changing the belt pulley the match is still a match, you just are not going as fast at each rpm level as you were, but the speedo still says you are. What I have read is this, when you correct the speedo with one of those 100 dollar speedo tuner or sensor overriding devices, then you mess up your cruise and 6th lite. This happens because the speedometer pickup is overridden, sending a corrected signal to the speed guage. Now you have lost the match that the ECM is looking for, between the tach and speedo. The folks who corrected with the TTS never reported any problem with cruise, because TTS reprograms the ECM settings so that it is now looking for what is now the new match.
iclick,
I'm so positive your cruise will still work after you change this pulley on the rear wheel that I will buy it from you, at the Zanottis Price, if for some crazy reason it doesn't.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:24 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rare100thHD
iclick,
I'm so positive your cruise will still work after you change this pulley on the rear wheel that I will buy it from you, at the Zanottis Price, if for some crazy reason it doesn't.
Mine too? Ha!

Old 02-04-2011, 01:27 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

iclick,
I can't tell you if the cruise will still work (with the Power Vision or TTS) after correcting the speedo, it should, but I am so sure it will work on your 07 SG after you change the rear pulley that I will buy this 68t pulley and bearing from you if it doesn't. What happens is this; the ecm reads the rpm vs speedo. When it sees a close match, it will allow cruise to function. The folks on this forum that lost cruise or the lite or both, changed the gears inside the primary, now they messed with the match between the tach and speedo.
Well, you still have a change in the tach/speedo relationship with a taller rear pulley. OTOH I agree with you that cruise should work fine, as my understanding is that it is not looking for an RPM/speed relationship, but just the speedometer to regulate the speed and RPMs to sense a sharp rise, like to disconnect cruise when you pull in the clutch. What I don't think I'd want to live with is a 7% or more speedometer error, as my present 4% is too much. Again, I'll report back tomorrow after talking with the dealer about the speedo calibration, although I have a feeling they won't know the answer. My experience with corporate HD is that they won't talk to me anymore about tech matters since I'm out of warranty, so I wouldn't even attempt calling their tech-support line. OTOH the dealer may be willing to contact them if they don't know the answer. I'm not sure since they don't stand to make much money on the job, although this is the off-season and they need work.

BTW, does your bike have a 137T belt like the '07. They changed the width at least once after '07 (narrower), but I don't recall the sizes for various years. Regardless, yours should have the same number of teeth, and if so and yours fits mine should fit. BTW, mine measures 1 1/8" but the parts manual says it is 1" wide.

I wouldn't ask you to do that, but I appreciate the offer. I just want to be 100% sure of what will happen, good and bad, if the pulley is changed with and without a speedo calibration, and if a speedo cal is even possible at all with the Digital Technician. I'm not quite ready to change tuners at this time, and if I did it would be to the PV.

Last edited by iclick; 02-04-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
eja
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seriously considering this mod on an 08 UC. Does anyone have the part number for the extended race wheel bearing to fit the sprocket? Also how about a part number for the 36 mm rear axle wrench? thanks

Old 02-04-2011, 06:19 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I keep coming back to putting a 49 tooth gear in.
http://www.preferredpowersports.com/..._SPROCKET_.htm

But...That means losing the PCV and going to the TTS or Powervision to input the new gear ratios to the ECM and calibrating the speedo. That's a major expense.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer

Originally Posted by eja
I'm seriously considering this mod on an 08 UC. Does anyone have the part number for the extended race wheel bearing to fit the sprocket? Also how about a part number for the 36 mm rear axle wrench? thanks
Part # for 08 models,
9285 extended race 25mm bearing. for 08 models only!
40278-08 rubber isolators need 6 of these
40518-08 68t sprocket
Get your wrench or big socket from Auto Zone! Its a (1 7/16") or 36mm either one.

This is all you need for a 2008 touring.
Do not be alarmed when the axle adjusters are about 3/8 of a inch down from where they were. This larger sprocket will take up a little more slack in the belt, but it works and adjusts just fine.

Last edited by rare100thHD; 02-04-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer

iclick,I just discovered something that may save you and all 07 owners a little money. The 07 jap sportsters have the same 68t IDS sprocket except the part # ends in 07 instead of 08. This item will have your 1" wheel bearing in it. Then you would not have replace the bearing, it should have the exact same bearing that came in your IDS. 40518-07
07 sportsters have a 1" axle. And also have the same 137t belt same width. you will only need the sprocket and 6 rubber isolators.

Last edited by rare100thHD; 02-04-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:51 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

iclick,I just discovered something that may save you and all 07 owners a little money. The 07 jap sportsters have the same 68t IDS sprocket except the part # ends in 07 instead of 08. This item may have your 1" wheel bearing in it. Then you would not have replace the bearing, it may y come with the correct one in it for you. 40518-07
Before you order ask a parts guy to see if the 07 sportsters have a 1" axle. if so then you only need the sprocket and 6 rubber isolators.
That's good info, and you're certainly doing your research! I'll quiz the folks at the dealer tomorrow morning and will report back, that is if I don't freeze riding over there. BTW, what size is the bearing on the 40518-08 pulley? Is it 25mm like the FLH's?

The last time I checked my rubber spacers a few K miles ago they had no slack and were in perfect shape, so I may just reuse them.

Last edited by iclick; 02-04-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:00 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer

The bearing that came in my 68t was the 25mm but the 08's had a extended race instead of the inner spacer. So I just reused mine. My isolators also looked good but for some reason the new IDS had just a tiny amt of slack on the isolators. Maybe cause its larger around., So I highly recommend replacing them. I am next chance if have my wheel off.

Quick Reply: Bigger Sprocket for 07 & 08s??