Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

review of Danny Gray Solo Big Seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:11 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default review of Danny Gray Solo Big Seat

just installed the above mentioned seat couple days ago. i woke early this morning and put 275 miles, 5 hours, with zero break in hours to the seat prior to the ride. I was told it may take 800 - 1000 miles for the seat to conform for maximum comfort.

Impressions.

changes the look of the bike to the better in my opinion, it sits me lower by a couple of inches and moved me back slightly.

I normally ride with a back rest and the seat has the receiver for the backrest but i have yet to purchase.

there is enough of a lip on the back of the seat that it securely sets you in. riding without the backrest was not an issue however i will still purchase the backrest, because i like to use it to support while I stretch out.

the seat is firm, with a small amount of padding, it does have gel, it is comfortable. when i first sat on it i had my doubts as i noticed the lack of padding. i could have put more miles on the ride this morning, no squirming, or numb butt.

this makes my third seat, the original is modified with double decker memory foam from Mean City Cycles, much more comfortable than stock.
My second seat and the one i use for two up, (wifes seat) is the Harley Hammock. it is like a lounger.

in order of comfort and on a scale of 1-10 (ten being most comfortable)

Hammock - 9: it almost feels like i am not sitting on a seat more of a chair.

Danny Gray - 8: I'm confident i could get a 500 mile ride in with this seat

OEM modified by MCC - 5 even though its better than stock its no where close to the other two as far a comfort.

Cool factor

Danny Gray - 9
OEM Modified - 5
Hammock -1 (i put a 1 just to make it tangible i could easily give it a 0)

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 2861
Size:  131.0 KB

Old 01-15-2011, 02:21 PM
OlDusty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realy strugled with the DG or Mustang. I flipped a coin and got the stang and love it but I still love that DG too. Very nice sled you have there, im interested in aux lights up front. What is this setup you have with lighting?

Old 01-15-2011, 02:24 PM
ericl
Road Warrior

Dusty its a Road King, the lights are stock, Dragon Fly detachable fairing.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:22 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

eric,
I've had my DG Big Seat over 20K miles now. It's very comfortable. I also have both backrests, I got the low one first. It's great for a couple hundred miles but I use the large backrest for longer rides and multi day rides. I also have luggage that slips over the backrest and rides on the rear fender rack and it will work fine with the small backrest but is more secure with the large one.
I have the DG pillion as well and have been told it's very comfortable but you already have a 2-up set up.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review. Seat looks nice.

I also use the Hammock for 2-Up, awesome seat.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:09 PM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericl
just installed the above mentioned seat couple days ago. i woke early this morning and put 275 miles, 5 hours, with zero break in hours to the seat prior to the ride. I was told it may take 800 - 1000 miles for the seat to conform for maximum comfort.

Impressions.

changes the look of the bike to the better in my opinion, it sits me lower by a couple of inches and moved me back slightly.

I normally ride with a back rest and the seat has the receiver for the backrest but i have yet to purchase.

there is enough of a lip on the back of the seat that it securely sets you in. riding without the backrest was not an issue however i will still purchase the backrest, because i like to use it to support while I stretch out.

the seat is firm, with a small amount of padding, it does have gel, it is comfortable. when i first sat on it i had my doubts as i noticed the lack of padding. i could have put more miles on the ride this morning, no squirming, or numb butt.

this makes my third seat, the original is modified with double decker memory foam from Mean City Cycles, much more comfortable than stock.
My second seat and the one i use for two up, (wifes seat) is the Harley Hammock. it is like a lounger.

in order of comfort and on a scale of 1-10 (ten being most comfortable)

Hammock - 9: it almost feels like i am not sitting on a seat more of a chair.

Danny Gray - 8: I'm confident i could get a 500 mile ride in with this seat

OEM modified by MCC - 5 even though its better than stock its no where close to the other two as far a comfort.

Cool factor

Danny Gray - 9
OEM Modified - 5
Hammock -1 (i put a 1 just to make it tangible i could easily give it a 0)

Very nice looking!!!

I wanted a DG but didn't have the $. I found a C&C Solo for $75 on line that I'm hoping does the job for me. Good review!

The following users liked this post:
Bobby-b (08-02-2020)
Old 01-17-2011, 01:12 AM
ericl
Road Warrior

what makes this forum great is people posting on what they like or dislike what works or what doesn't. i do not think that i have made a single mod without checking this forum first. its nice to know that there is a place to look that someone will give you an honest opinion to assist us not so in the know in making decisions. thanks to all.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the "Big Seat" also. Good review.
Name:  b0833a46.jpg
Views: 2024
Size:  136.3 KB

Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 AM
AZSN8S
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knewt5
I wanted a DG but didn't have the $. I found a C&C Solo for $75 on line that I'm hoping does the job for me.
I have them both and really think you'll be happy. I don't find any difference in the comfort of either. The DG is higher in the back than C&C and some say better support but to me I feel no real difference - that's just me.

changes the look of the bike to the better in my opinion
ericl - I don't know what it looked like before, but it sure looks good now! - GREAT CHOICE and review.

Tony

Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah I like the Danny Gray too.I have the speed cradle solo and have had a couple 600 mile days with no problems.

Quick Reply: review of Danny Gray Solo Big Seat