Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ABS light

Half the time the ABS light is, does that mean that its not working when the light is on. I've taken it to the stealers several times to no avail.

Not a big deal, I've riden for 40 years without ABS. But, I paid for the damn thing, I want it to work.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2005
Half the time the ABS light is, does that mean that its not working when the light is on. I've taken it to the stealers several times to no avail.

Not a big deal, I've riden for 40 years without ABS. But, I paid for the damn thing, I want it to work.
Yes in just about all cases if the light is on, it's letting you know that there is a problem with the ABS function.
And it will default to old fashioned normal braking until the issue is fixed.

There should be a "code" set, and the dealer should be able to retrieve that code and fix the issue. I'd try a different dealer if they can't give you any answers.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Yep if it doesn't go out when you start rolling you have a problem...We find a lot of faults at the connector for the front brake sensor...Follow the wire from the sensor at the front wheel up to where it connects to the main harness...Seems to be the most common problem with abs brakes in our part of the country.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 AM
glide2005
Supporter

The code it keeps throwing is the ABS motor or something like that. The dealer has checked all the wireing and put die electric grease on all connectors. They replace the ABS manifold block under the side cover. When I get it back, it works for a day or two, then comes on again.

I use this dealer because they are close to my work and seem a lot sharper than the ones I bought the bike from. You know how that goes.

Thats also what I thought, if its on, the ABS is not working.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:56 AM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

If they don't bleed it correctly and then reset the ABS solenoids, the light will come back on. When I switched to braided lines, the dealer had a hell of a time trying to reset my ABS system, but finally got it.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 AM
glide2005
Supporter

Yes they told me that too. They put it on the computer to beed correcly, but still no worky.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 AM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... as said before, if the dealer can't fix it you need to get to one that can... IMHO.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:12 AM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hit or miss sensor I would say. I would be looking at that front one. See if you can't get them to change it and see if it still cuts out. If that isn't it I would ask them to bleed it again and again and I am sure it will be fine.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:08 PM
glide2005
Supporter

Originally Posted by 18BKLR
Hit or miss sensor I would say. I would be looking at that front one. See if you can't get them to change it and see if it still cuts out. If that isn't it I would ask them to bleed it again and again and I am sure it will be fine.
I will ask them about the sensor the next time I take it in. The brakes have been bled by two different dealers with the same results.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:31 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2005
I will ask them about the sensor the next time I take it in. The brakes have been bled by two different dealers with the same results.
Sounds to me like its time to escalate your complaint.

Your bike is a 2010, so it's still under factory warranty correct?
You should not have to put up with unresolved issues.

Follow the guidelines in your owners manual.

Most sales or service issues will be resolved at the dealership. However if an issue arises that your dealer cannot resolve, please follow the procedure below.

1. Discuss your problem with the appropriate personnel at the dealership in the Sales, Service or Parts area. If that proves unsuccessful, speak to the owner of the dealership or the general manager.

2. If you cannot resolve the issue with the dealership, yu can contact the Harley-Davidson Customer Service Department by calling: 414-343-4056

Or write to:

Attention: Customer Service Department
Harley-Davidson Motor Company
P.O. Box 653
Milwaukee, WI 53201

To avoid delays, please have the following information available to give to the Customer Service Representative:
* Your name, address and phone number.
* Motorcycle V.I.N.
* Name and location of the dealership
* Current mileage
* Clear description of issue
There is absolutely no reason this issue should not be corrected.

Quick Reply: ABS light