Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring 103 CAMS

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Truth is it would be very difficult to pick a ''bad'' cam out of those mentioned. Dyno #'s are just that. The fuel moto kit is good because Jamie has spent a lot of time on the dyno developing and mixing the proper components. Harley has too. All the cam makers do R&D to make their products work as well as possible. HD has to please the EPA, the aftermarket guys have to please the customer. My bike lives between 2800 and 3200 rpm. The SE stuff works good for me there. I did my build with the idea of keeping HP and TQ as far to the left as possible. My bike is at 27000 mi total and 17000 since the build. No breakdowns or problems and don't expect any. Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
Truth is it would be very difficult to pick a ''bad'' cam out of those mentioned.
So true. There are a ton of cams available to us these days, the choices can get a bit overwhelming. As a general rule of thumb, I'd pick a cam that returned a corrected compression ratio close to 9.2:1.

If you're starting with a stock 103, such as in the Limited or power pack bikes, an ideal cam would have moderate duration, overlap and lift, and an intake close somewhere between 35 and 38. Good choices include the Woods TW5-6, SE204, and Cycle Rama 575. All would have a nice throttle response right off idle, and a strong mid range.

However, if you're building a 103 up from a 96, it would be advantageous to bump the mechanical compression up slightly to about 10.2:1, and run the Woods 555 or Andrews 54. You'd get a little more hp and torque, and a nice all around touring package.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:45 AM
REDHEAD
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank for the Question that started this thread..

BUT one thing I noticed is : IF Mentioning a different cam.... Could you put in MORE information about the New Mentioned Cam,,,,, So a reader doesn't Have to go look Elsewhere for it.

Example is Like saying the SE255's work good ,great, nice Yada yada yada....
BUT where are the specks for that cam? Now I have to go look.
Make It Easy for the reader and POST some of the needed information : Lift Intake close , durations.

A simple spec for the 255's to understand that it is for LOWer RPM band on a stock compression bike: like lift= .550 on both in-ex then mention
intake valve closes at 25*..... THIS by it's self tells the reader IT is a LOW rpm responder cam...

IF the intake closed at 40* this tells ME that it is a HIGH RPM cam UNLESS a lot of compression is used in the MIX of things here to make the Low end Torque come on Earlier,,,, and NOT what I'm looking for in my 96" or 103" wanting Low End Torque..

THANKs If you can do this...

My 96"09 FLHR, (not 103 yet) using SE 255's (cam inform' above) and full *stage one with TFI for fuel management..(*v&h slip-ons and se air)

Very Impressed with the LOW end RPM power range using the SE 255's.. When I go 103" flat tops, I will install compression releases in the heads and a "street port" BY Dewey's Heads.(install the relief valves)

This combination and 103" will Make a good "Run-able Street Bike" and Have very good Low End Torque, and allows Easy Starting when HOT after fuel stops,,, Using the manual compression releases may save a starter drive and Embarrassment at the Pumps...

signed....REDHEAD

Old 01-20-2011, 11:55 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Nothing personal REDHEAD but I am not going to type every single thing I know about the cam I installed if a person asks "what cam for my application". It's up to you as someone who is interested to use the search feature to dig up the information you desire.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:08 PM
REDHEAD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FX4
Nothing personal REDHEAD but I am not going to type every single thing I know about the cam I installed if a person asks "what cam for my application". It's up to you as someone who is interested to use the search feature to dig up the information you desire.
Well, Just the lift and exhaust close would be enough for me,,, I'm still looking for infromation on the cycle rama 575 cam to see those numbers... I thank a few members that put a little more into a post that Asks for cams good for the 103" build..

This below is a good post that does give MORE than just a # cam... THANKS.

If you're starting with a stock 103, such as in the Limited or power pack bikes, an ideal cam would have moderate duration, overlap and lift, and an intake close somewhere between 35 and 38. Good choices include the Woods TW5-6, SE204, and Cycle Rama 575. All would have a nice throttle response right off idle, and a strong mid range. Quote

Nough said

signed....REDHEAD

Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
+1 Liked the SE 255's in my Stage1 96" but, really like the Andrew's 54H's sense the 103" build! LOL!!

Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 PM
nsodpty52
Tourer

I have the the Woods 6 and couldn't be happier. Its a monster. All of the woods stuff is top notch. Plus you get personal service when you call woods the actual owner/developer answers and talks to you.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
I think for a bolt in cam both the SE 204 (keeps you in warranty) or the Woods 555 are good choices. I got good results without any head work.
The 204 is listed as a race-only part in the S/E catalog, and as such has no warranty. A dealer would be well within their rights to deny a claim if the cams caused any damage.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:48 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

I've been thinking about this since I picked up my RKC In Oct. Was going to go SE-255 or the Andrews 54H, but since the Woods 555's came out, that's the direction I'm taking. Most of my shifting is done in the +/- 3000 range and these cams look like they'll work for me.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

andrews 54's for me. Knowing what I do now I would have stayed with my 103 with 54's. The cost vs hp gains to go to my 117 just wasn't worth it imo

Quick Reply: Touring 103 CAMS