Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far can you go with the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:36 PM
balcy24
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How far can you go with the warranty?

I bought the extended warranty with my '08. Does that mean I have 5 years of worrying about what I can or cannot do to improve the bike? I want to do the basic engine mods -- stage 1, slip ons, fuel management, etc. If I can'tdo that then I may cancel the extended warranty (I have60 days).

Old 01-22-2008, 11:00 PM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How far can you go with the warranty?

It's up to your dealer. My dealer told me that se slipons , pc III, k&n ac would not void the warranty as far as they were concerned. He also mentioned that this might NOT be the case if you had problems away from home with other dealers. Be carefull!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Really depends on the Dealer.... If ya got a question ASK the Service Manange @ your Dealer.. Seems like some will let ya get away with more then others..

Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My warrantyended when Ileft the parking lot. Built a new motor within weeks of buying the bike and no regrets since. Warranties are for those who like the comfort of never having to fix their bike and they're one more tool the MOCO makes their money from.

I live without warranty and like making my own choices. Lifes short...live it and do what you want to do!

Old 01-23-2008, 02:39 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to agree with GlideMan.
If something goes wrong and the factory warranty covers it, then that's great.
If not, then that's what I believe is part of the "Harley Experience" Being able to fix it yourself.
So far, every bike I have owned, with the help of a service manual, I have been able to fix almostevery problem that has occured. The few I couldn't figure out or understand the manual on...well, that's where a six-pak, phone call to buddy, couple steaks on the grill and the next day we were riding together again.
Save your money on extended warranties and invest it in your bike. The pay-off is much more rewarding.
-----of course this is MY opinion-----

Old 01-23-2008, 07:01 AM
adlerx
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: GlideMan

My warrantyended when Ileft the parking lot. Built a new motor within weeks of buying the bike and no regrets since. Warranties are for those who like the comfort of never having to fix their bike and they're one more tool the MOCO makes their money from.

I live without warranty and like making my own choices. Lifes short...live it and do what you want to do!
I'm with you GlideMan. My bank account is my warranty and since I am just finishing a build on my brand new 08, my warranty (bank acct) is pretty darn slim right now! I'll let the dealer warranty stuff like the radio and electronics but as far as the motor and trans, would rather fix it myself and know it's right. If you saw what I saw when I pulled that 800mile motor apart, you wouldn't want a MOCO wrench anywhere near your bike....

Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer did the Stage-1 install on my bike....no warenty issue. they will also do a stage-2 or 3 (103 or 110) upgrade with no warranty issues, but that is only if I do the Harley upgrades. If I go to an indy and do an HQ or some other build I'm sure the warranty will be out the window.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:43 AM
IBHarley
Road Master

if you have no idea on how to work on the bike with a manual than a warranty is security but its up to your dealer if you change something and the warranty that will be implied most dealers that I have had to deal with push a sert, pipes and air kit so if thats all you want to do then go for it some even push a PC3 more than not the dealer is hoping you wont put the miles on the bike and wont have any major problem ,Take a pole on who has actually had to use there warranty for major work and I think youll find that the MOCO is ahead

Old 01-23-2008, 07:55 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Don't let the dealer scare you. They just want you to buy your upgrades from them. If you have a failure, they have to show that whatever you changed caused the failure before they can decline warranty. Then usually the manufacturer of whatever caused the failure will cover you if you bought it from a reputable manufacturer. It may cause you more headaches arguing with the dealer, but if your gas gauge quits working they can't say your warranty is void because you put V&H pipes on it!

Save your money on the extended warranty. If it's going to fail, it will do it in the first two years while still under the standard warranty. Unless your going to rack up a ton of miles, then maybe.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know the price of your extended warranty, so let's just say $1,000. That means that if your first repair under that warranty is $1,000 you've only broken even (not counting the interest you lost), so to actually make anything you need a repair costing more than that grand.

Even if your dealer *says* he'll honor the warranty with *some* mods he's not the insurance company that'll make the final decision. Add to that the possibility that you may have a problem while on a road trip & any modification to a bike under extended warranty is problematic at best.

Extended warranties are a profit center for the dealer. They're comfortable offering two years on the original machine, & if the mods are done correctly with quality products I feel comfortable expecting long life from the motor. JMHO, YMMV............

Quick Reply: How far can you go with the warranty?