Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Louder exhaust advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:09 PM
grandpatim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Louder exhaust advice.

I have a 2001 Ultra Classic with the stock mufflers on it. I'm looking to make it a little louder but not a whole lot. My wife doesn't like loud bikes but she agrees that it could be a little louder. Any recommendations guy's?

Thanks

Old 01-19-2011, 12:09 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

sorry, nevermind. post edited.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SuperTrapp 2 into 1
They are throaty, reasonable noise at idle but come on very nicely when you roll on the RPM's.
Have them on my 03 Fat Boy and will be installing on my 2010 Road Glide this weekend.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

If you want to use stock headpipes, SuperTrapp SE's.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpatim
I have a 2001 Ultra Classic with the stock mufflers on it. I'm looking to make it a little louder but not a whole lot. My wife doesn't like loud bikes but she agrees that it could be a little louder. Any recommendations guy's?

Thanks
There's a plethora of choices out there... Almost anything will be louder than the stock mufflers. Are you wanting to simply change the mufflers and leave the head pipes alone? Not all mufflers will fit the stock head pipes, so when you are looking keep that in mind. Search the Vendor list on this website, there are several that you can talk to about mufflers and get the sound you are looking for.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

As stated above, there are many choices, including Rush, Vance and Hines, Python, etc. Check out some of the sound bytes on YouTube.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with Wild Pigs on my 01 Ultra. Good price and the wife loves the sound. Heard the Rhinehearts, V&H,SuperTrap's, ect. but liked the sound of the Pigs. Not too loud at steady speed, but drowned out the Samson's on my brothers Road King when we're on the throttle.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:05 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a couple blog posts (link to my site below) that go over a few relatively inexpensive options (namely, Superflow and American Custom) which are both great options (IMO/E) if you want "nice" without being "that a$$hole down the block with the loud bike."

Old 01-19-2011, 01:21 PM
sundog1258
Stage II

I put a set of 2010 flht take off mufflers on my 03 ultra, they're cheap, readily available on ebay or possibly at a dealer. They are a little louder than stock, not obnoxious at all, and you get to keep the stock look if that is a problem with the sound police where you live. And you can still hear the stereo. Loud doesn't always equal good sound.
Phil

Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM
grandpatim
Intermediate

Yeah I do want to keep the stock pipes. I would just like to have slip on's I guess. I want a fuller sound but not loud enough to not talk with out headsets and still be able to hear the radio. It just seems like after a while on the highway with the stock pipes it begins to get as quite as my Goldwing was.

Quick Reply: Louder exhaust advice.