Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disassemble Q for Road Glide custom painting

Old 01-19-2011, 02:24 PM
ScottAtl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disassemble Q for Road Glide custom painting

Hi. I am about to breakdown my 07 Road Glide for custom painting and I have a question hopefully someone can help answer.

Do I really have to remove both the front and back wheels to get the fenders off? Seems like I should be abe to at least remove the front one without taking the wheel off. And, can’t the rear fender be removed with the wheel intaked if the bike is on a jack?

Also, are there any suggestions or “got ya’s” to be aware of? It looks like a bit of a challenge to remove everything off that needs painting. Especially the inner and outer fairing. I am changing colors totally so everything that is painted will need to come off.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

Old 01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

you have to remove the front wheel, the rear you can leave on, remove your 2 lower shock bolts and it will let the swing arm drop low enough to reach behind the tire and loosen the bolt there

Old 01-19-2011, 02:41 PM
ScottAtl
6th Gear

Tim, thanks for the info on the rear shocks. I will try that.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are carefull you can straighten the tabs that lock the fender bolts without removing the wheel and take off the fender. It is a little harder to unbolt the fender but is easier than takeing off the wheel. Just reach tru the wheel with a long screw driver to straighten the tabs.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The HD Service Manual for 2007 Touring Models, p/n 99483-07, will be your best friend for disassembly and reassembly. The tip on the shock bolts is a good one, but use it in moderation; i.e. lift the bike only enough to get to the rear fender bolt to avoid damaging the brake line.

Take pictures; use freezer bags or other containers for the various nuts, washers, etc. and label them so reassembly is easy. Label the connectors and/or use a Sharpie to mark connectors that are separated so you can reconnect them easily.

I disassembled my '04 EG in early '09 for a complete repaint and using the Service Manual, keeping parts in labeled freezer bags/containers made for a very easy project--tedious because of all the separate items involved, but easy since there was no confusion about how to put it back together again without problems.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
ScottAtl
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Old Bones
If you are carefull you can straighten the tabs that lock the fender bolts without removing the wheel and take off the fender. It is a little harder to unbolt the fender but is easier than takeing off the wheel. Just reach tru the wheel with a long screw driver to straighten the tabs.

Thanks for the tip OB. I will try and get to the tabs before i go thru the trouble of taking the wheel off. I just when for a short ride to get some gas stabilizer thru the bike before I take it apart. I will start on this tomorrow.

Scott

Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
ScottAtl
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
The HD Service Manual for 2007 Touring Models, p/n 99483-07, will be your best friend for disassembly and reassembly. The tip on the shock bolts is a good one, but use it in moderation; i.e. lift the bike only enough to get to the rear fender bolt to avoid damaging the brake line.

Take pictures; use freezer bags or other containers for the various nuts, washers, etc. and label them so reassembly is easy. Label the connectors and/or use a Sharpie to mark connectors that are separated so you can reconnect them easily.

I disassembled my '04 EG in early '09 for a complete repaint and using the Service Manual, keeping parts in labeled freezer bags/containers made for a very easy project--tedious because of all the separate items involved, but easy since there was no confusion about how to put it back together again without problems.

Good luck with your project.

Carl
Thanks for the suggestions Carl! I have the manual and plenty of zip-ties and bags and a few bins to keep everything organized. Thanks for reminding me to take lots of pics.

I will watch out for the brake line. Great tip.

Scott

Old 01-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottAtl
Thanks for the suggestions Carl! I have the manual and plenty of zip-ties and bags and a few bins to keep everything organized. Thanks for reminding me to take lots of pics.

I will watch out for the brake line. Great tip.

Scott
I too have my bike apart for paint work...I did not take the front/rear wheel off.

I also did very little of what Carl suggested but I am not very smart sometimes (lazy more like it) either. I have 3 cups one for the front center and rear.

My thread ~ https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...nter-pics.html

Old 01-23-2011, 08:33 PM
ScottAtl
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Ultra61
I too have my bike apart for paint work...I did not take the front/rear wheel off.

I also did very little of what Carl suggested but I am not very smart sometimes (lazy more like it) either. I have 3 cups one for the front center and rear.

My thread ~ https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...nter-pics.html
LOL I got everything off except the tank so far. Was not that bad. I'll be OK as long as I dont have tons of bolts and screws left when i'm finished.

Nice pics of your breakdown.