Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial indications of a compensator going bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:34 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not inclined to worry about the SE fretting thing. I'd be more worried if the two surfaces rotated against each other, but they just rest against each other.

I've seen the fix and it looks like it'll work to put some oil here at rest. Will it weaken the thing? Will it add oil when the engine is running? Would seem like oil would spin right outta there?

Old 01-22-2011, 03:06 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mfuchs2004
I'm not inclined to worry about the SE fretting thing. I'd be more worried if the two surfaces rotated against each other, but they just rest against each other.

I've seen the fix and it looks like it'll work to put some oil here at rest. Will it weaken the thing? Will it add oil when the engine is running? Would seem like oil would spin right outta there?
I haven't done the groove mod to my SE comp, but it seems that even if the oil slings out maybe a little will manage to get to where it needs to be. Even if it all slings out while running, there may be a good chance that when the motor is stopped, some oil will drip down from the chain and into one of the grooves. JMHO

Old 01-22-2011, 03:29 PM
fatvette
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed

Old 01-22-2011, 03:32 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

Originally Posted by smithbrl
I haven't done the groove mod to my SE comp, but it seems that even if the oil slings out maybe a little will manage to get to where it needs to be. Even if it all slings out while running, there may be a good chance that when the motor is stopped, some oil will drip down from the chain and into one of the grooves. JMHO
I think so too, but why does it need oil at all in that location?

Old 01-22-2011, 03:37 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SA315B
That sounds like a bad starter clutch; I had the same problem four times with my 08 FLHX over the course of 71,000 miles. The first three were under warranty and the dealer replaced the starter, the fourth time was on me and the indie who was doing a glide pro for me said all I needed was a starter clutch and he was right. The problem comes from a starter clutch that can’t handle the compression and eventually wears out. The only real cure is compression releases.

One indication of a compensator going bad is excessive drive train lash; the cure is a SE compensator. Since going to 103 inches requires compression releases and a SE compensator I made the obvious decision and should be able to pick up my bike the day before the Daytona 500.

The work is being done in St. Cloud which isn’t all that far from Daytona so I made another obvious decision. I’m sitting at the entrance to pit road with great view of turns three and four and high enough to be able to see the entire track.
I don't care what it sounded like. All I know is that is what happened to me and I saw the bad compensator. It was replaced and still running 40,000 miles later with no problems on the same starter assembly

Old 01-22-2011, 04:04 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Bad compensator symptoms

You still have the stock one in your primary

Old 01-22-2011, 04:15 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Fretting

Originally Posted by mfuchs2004

The fretting is in the bore of the sprocket and shaft extension bearing surface. The spokes of the sprocket and cam are kind of a crude setup that seem to like the heavier lubes. I had the rusty fretting with less than 1k on the compensator in the inner bearing area useing Redline MTL. Clutch likes the lighter fluids but the compensator seems to like a heavier viscosity. Pretty good thread over on HTT. I'm sticking with the Formula+ in the primary for now and did not groove the sprocket as of yet.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:08 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscibed to this one too. This damn compensator problem is irritating. Even the upgraded SE has its problems, I gather.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 PM
legendzzz
Road Master

I have heard that BANG! noise when I hit the starter button and it is loud. I thought it was a normal thing never thinking it was an issue. Then I started reading on this Forum and realize it must be the compensator? Well the bike is in the dealer and as the service manager said on friday they are checking as they go in just in case it is something else but as of now it is not the compensator? I spent about $300 getting the SE one and I will give it back if it is not the problem, but what I do not know is what the dealer will charge me for the searching on my bike?
Hope it is not a fortune as the work continues ?

Old 01-22-2011, 05:53 PM
1mrbill
Cruiser

FWIW - BDL (Belt Drives Limited) is coming out with a aftermarket replacement for the stock HD compensator late in february. At least that is what the e-mail from them indicated. I'm going to wait and see what they offer. Baker Drive Train also has one in the works, again, an e-mail from them. The e-mails were a result of me asking them what they had available for replacements.

Quick Reply: Initial indications of a compensator going bad