Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS (660) & NIM installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GPS (660) & NIM installation

I just installed the Navigational Interface Module and fairing mount for my Garmin 660 GPS and thought I would share my experience in case someone else is contemplating this setup. Overall, should be able to do this in about 3 or 4 hours, or less if you're a quick reader! I took parts of 2 days, just because nothing else to do in this nasty weather. Hardest part is understanding the HD instructions. First, remove the front fairing to gain access to the wiring and remove your main 40 amp fuse.

Then, I did the fairing mount which requires drilling 3 holes in the inner fairing. 2 holes are 5/16" and one is 11/16". Large hole in center is for wires. This is pretty straight forward and easy to do. I thought about mounting to the handlebars, but thought the fairing mount looked better, plus when I trade the bike, it will go with it. Mounted the GPS fairing mount and fished the wires through the hole. For power, I used the extra power supply that is available on the headlight wiring. The wires are easily identified and provide switched power for the GPS.

Next, I mounted the NIM bracket and module on the right side of the upper fairing. It mounts easily by removing an existing screw and securing the bracket. The NIM will mount underneath the bracket. Then just fish the wires to the top of the radio.

Next, on to the NIM installation. There are two basic wiring harness connections that you need to find. The first is the 35-way connector on the back of the radio. This will need to be unplugged and the end removed so that 5 new wires can be installed. They are marked well and you will need to remove the plugs in the empty holes so the wires can be installed. All wires are color coded, but the wires are very stiff (because of the bulk) and I needed to remove a little of the sheathing or covering to insert the addtional wires.

The other existing wiring that needs to be identified is the 6-way connector, refered to as 6A and 6B. Part of the NIM harness has corrosponding 6A and 6B connections. Integrate these into the existing harness by unplugging the the existing 6A into the NIM 6B and the existing 6B into the NIM 6A. Hope that makes sense!! This part is really just unplugging and plugging back in the new pieces.

I did not use the IPOD connection, so that was left unused and secured. Due to the weather, I will not be able to road test for a couple months. In the garage though, it works fine. The GPS commands come through the headset good, and if the speaker switch is in the rearward position, the commands come through the front speakers. The bluetooth option works OK (through headsets), but my wife says it sounds like I'm in a barrell. Even if I do not use while riding, I can still see when a call comes in and tell the GPS to ignore the call and it goes to voicemail. And of course, the motor was not running.

I've tried to attach a few pictures in case someone is contemplating this setup, but cannot get them uploaded. Hard to think of everything when writing a note, so PM me if you like. Maybe I'll have better luck with the pictures later or can email them to you if necessary.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:13 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am still waiting on my nim kit.was on back order till the end of jan. hope to get it soon.i have a street glide and i already have the chrome handle bar mt that harley just came out with.looks pretty nice.i see u got power from the head light so all is contained behind the fairing.did u relocate the fuse on the gps wiring harness or did u leave it behind the fairing

Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up Estil...thanks for the good information!

Just finished the same installation on my 2009 Street Glide...and I installed the iPod module at the same time. I have a Hawg Wired amplifier on my system and the XM module from Harley-Davidson.

The system works as advertised (sitting in the garage)...and the external amplifier does not cause you any problems. Some others have been worried about this issue (external amplifier) that I've read about on some other threads. I'm in the middle of a number of other modifications and upgrades, as well as some deep cleaning so I have yet to get her out on the street and check it out under power. I'm happy with the way it works right now and I think it will be fine on the road.

Thanks again!

Steve

Old 01-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Estill and SCJE8,

Can you confirm that you installed HD's Road Tech Zumo's with the NIM? I ask because there are reports that the non-HD Zumo 660/665 don't work with the NIM; i.e., they won't provide voice prompts interupting the audio signal. If you;re using non-HD Zumos, that would be new information.

Thanks.

Carl

Old 01-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Dave2261
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Estill and SCJE8,

Can you confirm that you installed HD's Road Tech Zumo's with the NIM?
I'm wondering the same thing.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM
SCJE8
Club Member

Good Morning Carl and Dave...

I did install the HD Road Tech Zumo 660 model. And I'm proud to say everything works exactly as advertised for the NIM, iPod and Zumo!

BTW Carl...thanks again for all of your help during my install. Damn those bent pins! LOL!

Steve

Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Steve,

Glad to help. If you can, supply the link to the "cut down" NUOH; I must have missed it and I'm not sure I'd do it on my NUOH since I have the CB, rider headset, passenger headset, etc. connected to mine.

Considering the costs of the 660, IPOD module, NIM, etc., I'm sure you're very pleased that all that expensive gear works as it's supposed to.

Also, the reason I asked is because some folks have purchased the non-HD 660 or 665 (probably on a sale somewhere) only to discover they don't work with the NIM.

Carl

Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it is worth i have installed the 665 non hd model with no problems. I have voice promts through the speakers weather xm radio mp3 player all working just fine. I even took the power for the 665 from my amp with no ill evects whatsoever! Love this thing it is amazing to have all of thiz right there in front of you.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:57 PM
VandalENG
Advanced

I also have that setup on my FLTRU. Let me know if anyone is haveing issues with listening to an MP3 on an Micro SD chip. Mine seems to play correctly BUT! it activates the VOX randomly and mutes the music for a minute or so then resume playback at normal levels. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I like using the Zumo 660 to play my music because you can play genres, artist etc.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:32 PM
SCJE8
Club Member

Glad to help. If you can, supply the link to the "cut down" NUOH; I must have missed it and I'm not sure I'd do it on my NUOH since I have the CB, rider headset, passenger headset, etc. connected to mine.
The link is an old one that I have not seen in a long time...but I will try to find it for you. I had originally found it when I had my 2008 Ultra. I will state that there are a number of wires and connectors on the NUOH that are not used for my setup...which is the XM module only. I think I was able to reduce it down to 5 XM wires and one connector...then I had to add the 5 wires for the NIM/iPod setup (plus the additional 2 connectors and harness).

Considering the costs of the 660, IPOD module, NIM, etc., I'm sure you're very pleased that all that expensive gear works as it's supposed to.
Yea...lucky for me two things happened...First, I was able to sell my ZUMO 550 to my buddy for $400.00! (I know, I know...I am a bad person!) Second, the ZUMO 660 also works in the car and truck...which makes my wife very happy! And it does not matter what you are doing to your HD...you'd better bring a fat wallet or a credit card with lots of 'open to buy' room on it!

Quick Reply: GPS (660) & NIM installation