Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy Haulers for Dressers

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toy Haulers for Dressers

SO other is retired and we want to travel and ride. To do this we are looking at either a small Motor Home or a truck and Toy Hauler. I have located a terrific deal on a Dodge Ram and have found another deal on a toy hauler. When I mentioned this to the Motor Home Salesman he "warned if any gas at all is spilled or escapes due to heat evaporation, the toy hauler will stink of gas for a long time" For those of you who have Toy Haulers, is there any truth to this story or is it just a salesman trying to put me off.
Thanks

Old 01-25-2011, 07:43 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Well, I suppose if it soaks into carpet or something the smell would be with you for a while. I have vents front and rear that I keep open when the bikes are loaded and my flooring is vinyl. No hint of a gasoline smell so far but I've not had any spills either.

Last edited by stro1965; 01-25-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 AM
easycruzer
Tourer

Originally Posted by Theakerr
SO other is retired and we want to travel and ride. To do this we are looking at either a small Motor Home or a truck and Toy Hauler. I have located a terrific deal on a Dodge Ram and have found another deal on a toy hauler. When I mentioned this to the Motor Home Salesman he "warned if any gas at all is spilled or escapes due to heat evaporation, the toy hauler will stink of gas for a long time" For those of you who have Toy Haulers, is there any truth to this story or is it just a salesman trying to put me off.
Thanks
Does your bike randomly leak gas all over itself?? Doubt it.

My trailer never smells like anything at all, it is always clean and dry, so I see no reason a toy hauler would smell any different.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

1st ive ever heard of this....But gas does smell and alot of spillage could be more of a problem than just smell if you get my drift!!.... I have a van that i use for snow removel and keep my snow blowers in it all winter...To protect them from theft but also keep them warm between runs, anyway my truck does smell like gas(doesn't bother me) but at the end of the season the smell goes away within a few days.You could keep a pan of some sort under it...If it leaks but i would hope thats not the case!! If you are just worried about the bike smelling just from riding well i don't think it would be much...guys have been using toyhaulers for years and if it was an issue im sure we would hear about it!! Good luck......o~`o.............

Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would it smell any different than a trailer or for that matter the garage where I been parking the bikes for years? Stay away from sales men who use scare tactics or don't know what they are talking about...

Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Ribitt
Tourer

I am on my 2nd toyhauler and have never had or heard of that. As long as it is not leaking there should be no issue.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 AM
sdsigns62
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy hauler

I have a K&N toy hauler and there is no problem with gas smell at all.
The floor is covered with bed liner type material so it could be hosed out if need be.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 AM
huddle
Intermediate

I see you used the word "Dressers". If you are planning on hauling 2 Dressers I would strongly recommend a Toyhauler with an 8' X 12' garage area. It's near to impossible to haul 2 in a 7' X 10' trailer or garage area in a Toyhauler. If the Toyhauler you are presently looking at is the full open floor plan where you load the bikes end to end in between the bedding and such you will have to remove the bikes at night to have room to cook or sleep. As posted in the second post, vinyl flooring (which is very slick) or the diamond pattern rubber flooring (which is much better) would be a must. Bikes keep in an enclosed place do have the "Garage Smell" but much of it will disappear after a short time. If you leak any fluids it will definetly smell. Even the open floor plan Toyhaulers ave to be practically 30" to have any comfortable room for you and the bikes. The wife and I had one of these for quite a few years (Haulmark Brand) and it was workable but a hassle sometimes. Later both a KZ Toyhauler with a 8' X 12" garage area seperate from the living space. We love this Toyhauler and the quality is second to none. We use ours mostly for 2 or 3 week at a time to different parts of the Southeast. With this you keep your living area clean and ordor free and you have bike security at night. Guess it all depends on how much you plan to use the unit as to what you purchase. If only using it for weekends or a night over ever now an then I think you will find that Motels would be cheaper.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Geoff of NV
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Theakerr,
Simply put, the salesman is chock full of "El Tore Poo Poo".

Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 AM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

I have a 5X10 Haulmark. I put vinyl flooring down. I garage my RK in the trailer, and have used it numerous times. The only thing I smell when the bike is out of it, is wood.
When the bike is in the trailer, I do get a slight odor of fuel, but I have vents, and it dissipates when the bike is removed.

Quick Reply: Toy Haulers for Dressers