Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arnott vs Progressive air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 AM
HotRoc54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Arnott vs Progressive air suspension

I'm looking to pull the trigger on an air suspension kit and was looking for any feed back, ( pros or cons), on Arnott vs Progressive. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 AM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Arnott laying on my work bench now, just waiting for my parts to come back from the painter. I went with the Arnott based on the price difference... I have heard some guys say the Progressives are worth the extra money but I just cant see how for me as I rarely have a chance to ride more than a couple hundred miles a day anyway. Good thread... looking forward to seeing some feedback on this.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 AM
HotRoc54
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ICIBUY
I have the Arnott laying on my work bench now, just waiting for my parts to come back from the painter. I went with the Arnott based on the price difference... I have heard some guys say the Progressives are worth the extra money but I just cant see how for me as I rarely have a chance to ride more than a couple hundred miles a day anyway. Good thread... looking forward to seeing some feedback on this.
I was looking at the Arnott system with the Aldan shocks and not the Bilstein.
Going with that set up there really isn't much difference in cost from what I have seen.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 PM
MILLER41143
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had arnotts on a vrod muscle they were a great product and they were great in their cust. svc

i had an issue one time and they shipped me the new parts the same day free of charge

Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotRoc54
I'm looking to pull the trigger on an air suspension kit and was looking for any feed back, ( pros or cons), on Arnott vs Progressive. Thanks in advance for any help.
have had the alden chrome 12" set up on mine for about a year and have nothing but good to say about the system and the after sale service .there are a few others out there with air systems .maybe some one will chime in and let you know there experiences.
good luck with your decision

Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't do it before experimenting with different oil viscosities in your OEM shocks. You will find many posts here about changing the oil in your stock shocks. It is easy to do and might be all you need.

These aftermarket air shock people might be good, honest, and reliable, but in spite of what many on HDF say about shocks, they were engineered for your cycle. But of course they were made as "one size fits all".

So, by changing the stock shock oil viscosity from 5 wt. (OEM weight fill from Showa)upward, you might be able to fine tune your existing shocks to what suits you. Give this a try before spending $1,000 on yet another air shock system.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:10 PM
HotRoc54
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by albngore
Don't do it before experimenting with different oil viscosities in your OEM shocks. You will find many posts here about changing the oil in your stock shocks. It is easy to do and might be all you need.

These aftermarket air shock people might be good, honest, and reliable, but in spite of what many on HDF say about shocks, they were engineered for your cycle. But of course they were made as "one size fits all".

So, by changing the stock shock oil viscosity from 5 wt. (OEM weight fill from Showa)upward, you might be able to fine tune your existing shocks to what suits you. Give this a try before spending $1,000 on yet another air shock system.
I here what your saying but here is my problem. I'am only 5' 5" tall, or I guess I should say (short). Anyway I have a 2010 SG that I installed a 2008 seat that I had cut down at the upholstry shop and I installed 1" lowering blocks on the stock shocks to get myself comfortable. (Feet flat when sitting still). That has ruined the ride in my opinion. Poor ride quality and bottoming out with rider on. I just thought this would be the way to go to get a much better and comfortable ride.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 PM
ddavis
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new set of Arnott shocks on my FLHX, and have had Arnotts on my Vrod for 3 years. Their new model is based on the QA1 instead of the Aldan or Bilstein. The ride is great. Their customer service is top notch. I have the owner's cell phone, and call him direct at times. He has never turned down my calls.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Air Shocks

Originally Posted by HotRoc54
I here what your saying but here is my problem. I'am only 5' 5" tall, or I guess I should say (short). Anyway I have a 2010 SG that I installed a 2008 seat that I had cut down at the upholstry shop and I installed 1" lowering blocks on the stock shocks to get myself comfortable. (Feet flat when sitting still). That has ruined the ride in my opinion. Poor ride quality and bottoming out with rider on. I just thought this would be the way to go to get a much better and comfortable ride.
Hotrock
Look I am a short guy also much to my dismay. I have tried a number of combinations looking for the magic ride and lowering at the same time. I spent the 1000.00 for the Arnott.Bilstein shocks and was very unhappy with them. I tried every conceivable setting with air pressure and rebound setting. The ride was horrible. They were great in the garage at the bottom end or in a parking lot but I ultimately sent them back. Some guys really like them. I have tried lowering blocks and progressive 11" shocks. I have settled in on Bitchen Bagger 10 3/4 air shocks. Is the ride great. No, but it's far and away better than I got with the Arnotts and at least as good as stock. No matter what you do if you shorten the travel you'll always give up quality. The ride I have now is very adequate for me. I have no complaints and it's also low enough . I never bottom either. I run 25 lbs of air and its all good. I also use a C&C seat with the sides shaved to get me lower. I can ride all day with little or no issues. Hope this helps..

Last edited by Overdoo; 01-25-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 PM
HotRoc54
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Overdoo
Hotrock
Look I am a short guy also much to my dismay. I have tried a number of combinations looking for the magic ride and lowering at the same time. I spent the 1000.00 for the Arnott.Bilstein shocks and was very unhappy with them. I tried every conceivable setting with air pressure and rebound setting. The ride was horrible. They were great in the garage at the bottom end or in a parking lot but I ultimately sent them back. Some guys really like them. I have tried lowering blocks and progressive 11" shocks. I have settled in on Bitchen Bagger 10 3/4 air shocks. Is the ride great. No, but it's far and away better than I got with the Arnotts and at least as good as stock. No matter what you do if you shorten the travel you'll always give up quality. The ride I have now is very adequate for me. I have no complaints and it's also low enough . I never bottom either. I run 25 lbs of air and its all good. I also use a C&C seat with the sides shaved to get me lower. I can ride all day with little or no issues. Hope this helps..
Thanks Overdoo for your input. For whatever it's worth I was told the Arnott system with the Bilstein shocks that your refering to and sell for roughly $600.00 will give you a stiff, firm like ride for an agressive type of riding. The system with the Aldan shocks that sells for roughly $1100.00 is for a more smooth type touring ride. ????????
He compaired it to a Corvette vs a Buick suspension and ride???????
I was hoping to here from someone that has this system with the Aldan shocks to get their opinion.

Quick Reply: Arnott vs Progressive air suspension