Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon Air Grips and Chubby Wild One's

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 PM
BIGGUY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avon Air Grips and Chubby Wild One's

I was told that these grips will not work on the WO Chubby bars (1 1/4) because they will only work on 1" bars. But these bars tapper down to 1" where the grips go on and for the controls. Is my info incorrect? Trying to find some comfortable grips because my hands get numb.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

I'd actually heard the same but the OP said it had nothing to do with the bar diameter. It was that the grips were too short...

The fix for the same style grips is the PM Renthals which are comfortable.

lp

Old 01-25-2011, 07:08 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I'd actually heard the same but the OP said it had nothing to do with the bar diameter. It was that the grips were too short...

The fix for the same style grips is the PM Renthals which are comfortable.

lp

what he said, some would say PM with renthal would be a better choice anyway.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGGUY
I was told that these grips will not work on the WO Chubby bars (1 1/4) because they will only work on 1" bars. But these bars tapper down to 1" where the grips go on and for the controls. Is my info incorrect? Trying to find some comfortable grips because my hands get numb.
The Avon grips are 1/4 too short. I measured them compared to the stock grip. The Avon grip on the throttle side will not go on far enough so there is a 1/4 inch gap. I contacted Avon and was told that their grips are for 1 inch bars only. I just ordered a set of PM grips for $104 to replace the Avons. Too bad because I really like the Avons.

Here are some pics. Notice the gap. The throttle grip won't go on any further.

Last edited by sifularson; 01-25-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

So did you ever figure out what the "only for 1 inch bars" comment had to do with it? Makes no sense.

lp

Old 01-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Pc PaiN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They work fine if you aren't too **** to care about the gap. I have them on my WO bars and do not care about the gap.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pc PaiN
They work fine if you aren't too **** to care about the gap. I have them on my WO bars and do not care about the gap.
Are you saying I'm ****? LOL

Maybe I am but it still seems wrong that they would make their grips like that. I did figure out why . . .

Avon simply took their "throttle cable" version and adapted it to work on the "throttle-by-wire" bikes. The TBW sensor doesn't allow the grip to go on the bar far enough to close the gap.

Make sense to everyone?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
So did you ever figure out what the "only for 1 inch bars" comment had to do with it? Makes no sense.

lp
The 1" bars comment came directly from an Avon employee. I have the email here somewhere.

Sure, the gips have a 1" ID. That's obvious. What isn't obvious when they sell them is the gap that will show if you put them on 1 1/4 bars. Thus . . .

"These grips are for 1" bars only."

Get it?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:49 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Here is the reply I got from Debbie at Avon.

Unless you have a step down handlebars you can move the throttle housing .25" & clutch side to match up the grip. Our grips are for 1" bars only. You can call us at 800-334-7477 to talk to one of our technicians.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve is correct, on 1 1/4" step down bars you will be able to see the transition from 1 1/4" to 1". The grips will work (I have them on my WO518's), but a small portion of the 1" bar will be visible.

It does not bother me as I find the grips comfortable and I have black bars, black grips and black controls. You really have to be looking to notice.

Quick Reply: Avon Air Grips and Chubby Wild One's