Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I am better off...

Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I think I am better off...

from a previous thread I told of a misunderstanding that led to my cam shoes being swapped out as OEM with a new cam kit vs. the hydraulic kit I was thinking I was getting...anyways, enough about the mix-up

BUT, the dealer did offer me to complete the hydraulic upgrade for cost of parts only and waive the labor. The cost to me would be about $350 (over and above the work that was done with the new OEM cam kit which came to $1045).

I think I should do the upgrade since my goal is to not have to worry about the tensioners and if I keep them the same I have to always wonder what condition they are in and will will cost me $100+ bucks to check them every time......or do you think I should enjoy the savings and ride out these shoes....what say you? (oh, and I am not interested in gear drive at this point).

Old 01-26-2011, 01:03 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

If you are uncomfortable with the shoes as they are installed now, then I would change. Life is too short to have to worry about it all the time; for 350 you can have peace of mind. If you plan on keeping the bike for a while, it is probably money well spent.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:11 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Is the 350 the difference between the OEM parts and the hydraulic set up?

Old 01-26-2011, 01:19 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Yes - the cam kit which included all OEM parts including the spring tensioners were $600 or so and the kit would have been $900 or so with the hydraulic tensioners - so they are just charging me the difference.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:22 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I would take care of getting the original set up that you had discussed which is the hydraulic set up. If you plan on keeping it, get it done with! If not you will be be thinking about it all the while that you still have that bike. That is my 2 cents worth!

Old 01-26-2011, 01:37 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Just keep it as is. I was going to do the upgrade until I found or that my tensioners pads wer just replaced by the previous owner. Down the road, check them yourself, it's not that hard to do. You will be good now for many thousands of miles.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I were going to keep the bike and I had the extra $350, no question, I would do the upgrade. Why not go ahead with the hydraulic and have peace of mind. It will be just one more thing you will worry about if you don't do the upgrade.

Thats just my .02 worth. LOL

Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I followed the other thread too and I'm glad all worked out ok for you.

As far as doing the hydraulic upgrade goes, if you will sleep better then it's probably worth doing simply for your sanity. But on the other hand, I wouldn't lose sleep over the new OEM replacements you have in there now. They're most likely good for at least 30,000 miles... Then consider changing them out at that time.

And just for a point of reference, I had 55,000 miles on my '02 before I checked the tensioners and they were fine. I know when you hear of failures as early as 15,000 miles or so it can scare you, but I think those are exceptions and not the norm.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I don't think you'd be wrong either way.

Last edited by 2black1s; 01-26-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:45 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bronxbill
If you are uncomfortable with the shoes as they are installed now, then I would change. Life is too short to have to worry about it all the time; for 350 you can have peace of mind. If you plan on keeping the bike for a while, it is probably money well spent.
Originally Posted by jacknthebox
Yes - the cam kit which included all OEM parts including the spring tensioners were $600 or so and the kit would have been $900 or so with the hydraulic tensioners - so they are just charging me the difference.
I would take care of getting the original set up that you had discussed which is the hydraulic set up. If you plan on keeping it, get it done with! If not you will be be thinking about it all the while that you still have that bike. That is my 2 cents worth!
Originally Posted by steelerdude1
Just keep it as is. I was going to do the upgrade until I found or that my tensioners pads wer just replaced by the previous owner. Down the road, check them yourself, it's not that hard to do. You will be good now for many thousands of miles.
Originally Posted by 2004Sierra
If I were going to keep the bike and I had the extra $350, no question, I would do the upgrade. Why not go ahead with the hydraulic and have peace of mind. It will be just one more thing you will worry about if you don't do the upgrade.

Thats just my .02 worth. LOL
Originally Posted by 2black1s
I followed the other thread too and I'm glad all worked out ok for you.

As far as doing the hydraulic upgrade goes, if you will sleep then it's probably worth doing simply for your sanity. But on the other hand, I wouldn't lose sleep over the new OEM replacements you have in there now. They're most likely good for at least 30,000 miles... Then consider changing them out at that time.

And just for a point of reference, I had 55,000 miles on my '02 before I checked the tensioners and they were fine. I know when you hear of failures as early as 15,000 miles or so it can scare you, but I think those are exceptions and not the norm.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I don't think you'd be wrong either way.
I think I would sleep better changing them out - I am the type that once I start worrying I can't get over it and I don't need that - Also, if I left them and checked them in 30,000 miles and for some unfortunate reason they are worn (as they were found at this 30,000 mile check-up) then it will cost a lot more then the $350 to upgrade to hydraulic....still thinking on it but leaning towards the swap.....thanks for all the replies.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:59 PM
kdichs1015
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two points, First, SpiderPig's Avatar for the Win!

Second, I was up nights worried about my cam tensioners wearing too. I bought the bike used and it is still under extended warranty, and I have an understanding with the service manager at the selling dealership that they will cover any damage, since they didn't inspect them before they sold me the bike. So, I'm worrying for no reason, other than I hate my bike being in the shop.

Just this week I had to replace the clutch cable because I installed new Klock Werks Ergo bars. I inspected the tensioners while I had the exhaust off, and they look brand new. I have only put 12,000 miles on the bike, and I have no reason to think the original owner put tensioners on it. The bike has almost 69,000 on it now.

I think if it will make you sleep better, do it. But 350 bucks buys a lot of chrome, or better yet, gasoline.

Last edited by kdichs1015; 01-26-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think I am better off...