Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 road king

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:20 PM
tenn.vol.
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

DO, I SAY DO CHECK THE INNER CAM BEARING, wish I had!
And while you are there install the EV-23 cam....Tenn.Vol.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:19 PM
irishmike
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all -im back -guy never called but what the hell for only 1200 more than his asking price ive found an 05 road king custom with [wait for it]6500 miles.yeah i dont know why the other guy wouldnt negotiate .the bike definatly needed the brakes at least blead if not more .i think he was still too attatched to it .so im off this week to check out the custom -fuel injected 100%stock,i tryed one out in the dealer seemed to fit real good but never got out of the little ride around course in the parking lot-i know that alot of people switched out the handle bars for the reg bars -so the saga continues -does anybody have any opinions about the 05 custom ...thanks again for all those replys ....mike

Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

they only did the custom for a few years.i had a 05 classic nice ride cam shoes after 20-30,000 miles, and start a new thread on this one think they had a recall or service bulletin out for valve seals or guides.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:52 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by irishmike
hi all -im back -guy never called but what the hell for only 1200 more than his asking price ive found an 05 road king custom with [wait for it]6500 miles.yeah i dont know why the other guy wouldnt negotiate .the bike definatly needed the brakes at least blead if not more .i think he was still too attatched to it .so im off this week to check out the custom -fuel injected 100%stock,i tryed one out in the dealer seemed to fit real good but never got out of the little ride around course in the parking lot-i know that alot of people switched out the handle bars for the reg bars -so the saga continues -does anybody have any opinions about the 05 custom ...thanks again for all those replys ....mike
I bought my 05 RK Custom early last summer. It had 4500 miles on it, and I paid $12,750 for it. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend the 05 RK Custom to anyone looking for the same "deal" that I was looking for at the time. It's hard for me to say that I love "something" other than my wife and kids, but this bikes gets as close as anything can get. If this Custom that you're going to look at has been a garage queen, you're in for a pleasant surprise. Since buying mine, I've done a few things to it, i.e. cams, PCIII, Danny Gray seat, Rinehart S/O's, etc. As it is now, I ride with guys that have brand new 103 CI motors that cannot pull away from me.
I have chosen to leave the bars alone because my riding position is perfect. There are a couple of companies that make bars that really appeal to me, Carlini being one that I have bought from in the past. However, since my riding position is perfect for my size, stock ugly has taken on a new beauty!
I could go on, but suffice it to say that I am exceedingly happy with my Custom. I am not very savvy on the computer, or I'd have a picture for you to look at. If you would like to PM me, I'd be happy to email one to you.
Good luck. I think you were wise to hold out for a purchase that felt like a "deal" to you. It's a buyers market right now, and will be for some time to come, so take your time.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

you're a very lucky guy. 1996 was the first year of the new style handlebar controls, i.e. start, turn, horn buttons. the fact that the evo is a carbed bike is a real bonus. i'm with 1931jamesw, the evo's are truly a great engine.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:33 PM
irishmike
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got the rk custom

got the rk custom -so far so good -no plates yet but enjoyed the ride home-took a little getting used to shifting on the lower rpms .im used to my triumph shifting at 5 or 6 thousand -but its a smooth ride and those handlebars,i love em ,they fit me perfectly ...thanks for all the help ...mike