Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cooling Test Data

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:21 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Lou
Yep been chatting with Wards since I posted my Vegas overheating/shutdown dilemma and have read 1/2 of his 46 page thread as well. I'm by no means an expert but using common sense I think the dual setup is superior in air flow than a single and the size isn't gaudy like the Love Jugs and finally the fact that it kicks in automatically from 35mph or slower is HUGE. I don't want to have to remember to turn on/off the air cooler at ever stoplight or stop sign. What a pain in the **** that would be. Auto is good, install it and forget about it, that is the way to go. Finally the price he provides for HDForums members is an excellent perk.

I have Ward looking into PCing the setup in wrinkle black instead of flat black but whether or not that happens the flat black PC is good enough and he'll also do the screens to match. Great communication, great looking product and the discussions from other members and his own feedback give me confidence over other brands by far.

Looking forward to riding in the Vegas heat and not worry about getting stranded
I don't have the auto switch availavble yet but working it, it can be added later. My prototype has a jumbled up mess of components that achieve all my desired auto switching functions, besides being upwards of 150.00 in components, its a complicated hook up and I dont think you could hide the whole mess on the Dyna.
Jason

Old 06-07-2012, 01:13 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Lou
I totally agree I want an oil cooler as well and a fan assisted one is obviously better. Who's are you using and does it fit a Dyna? I haven't research them yet but after the air fan cooling setup from Ward then that will be the next purchase.

Since this is my daily rider I look at practical/useful mods as far more important to my bike than the cosmetic mods. That's why I went with wrinkle black PC, less cleaning, more riding
I have the Ultra Cool, and yes they do fit the Dyna. They just recently came out with another model that uses 2 fans, I don't know much about the specs or details, give them a call and check it out. I beleive Jagg makes one also, I don't know any details about that one.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:44 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to read most of the posts. I've heard complaints about jug fans blowing the hot air on the leg. Any comments?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFirstHD
I tried to read most of the posts. I've heard complaints about jug fans blowing the hot air on the leg. Any comments?
I would think that most of the folks who complain about the heat being blown at your leg are the naysayers. Those who don't feel a fan is necessary. Those that will tell you that Harley has been building air-cooled engines forever without fans so why do you need one now. Those that swear their bike never gets too hot. Those that say their bike never goes into EITMS mode. Those who have never had a fan. Etc., etc., etc.! Get the picture?

The real answer to your question is yes you can feel the heat. But when the fan is needed most, during prolonged idling or very low speed conditions, your legs are most likely already uncomfortably warm and the additional heat on your right leg is inconsequential. If the additional heat on your leg is bothersome, simply move your leg - problem solved.

I'll "suffer" through the additional heat to my leg so my engine doesn't have to. It's a worthy trade-off for me.

Last edited by 2black1s; 06-07-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFirstHD
Yes you feel hot air on your leg, however the air is about 100 degrees cooler than what would normally radiate off of the heads. When sitting still you can slightly adjust your leg position out of the direct path of the air coming off the cylinder. I would suggest a shield type product such as Capt Itch's Crotch Cooler if you are concerned about rider comfort, engine cooling fans are more for the benefit of the engine. BTW the FCS will work with the Crotch Cooler.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:22 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Yes you feel hot air on your leg, however the air is about 100 degrees cooler than what would normally radiate off of the heads. . . . . . .
That's how I feel about it. I have the Lenale and it blows more between the jugs than these new fans since they blow "on" the jugs. But in any case it don't bother me no more than the radiating heat did before.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:11 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

Thanks,

I've got the no more fried thighs on my '06 so I know about the heat.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

I just liked the first step when you ride the bike. Pretty much lost me after that

Old 09-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Kingsma
Stage III

Hello,
did anyone think of or tested the airflow restriction of the oil cooler fans itself?

Last edited by Kingsma; 09-06-2015 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Wrong forum
Old 09-06-2015, 04:59 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,612 Likes on 5,176 Posts

Here are some Lenale fan cooling number for you. I just trade the bike off with 50K on it, that was used in this test. I have had the Lenale fans on my last 3 bikes they work. I have not put one on my 2016 RGU yet I want to see how it acts with the wet heads first

Lenale fan temps

No Harley was hurt in this test. Photos of temp displayed

http://s259.photobucket.com/user/smi...=recent&page=1

Out side air was about 70 degrees
103 with lowers open
SYN 20/50 oil
Temp management off
No natural air flow
Started bike allowed to idle
At 261 turned on Fan
40 seconds dropped to 255
90seconds 239
120 seconds 225
at this point the drop slowed a bit
3 minutes 219
5 minutes holding 219 @ same 1000 rpms
7 minutes raised to 221
10 minutes 221 1000 rpms holding
Fan off
10 seconds 230
1 minute 248 climbing steady
1 minute 30 262
2 minutes 266
3 minutes 277
3minutes 20 280
4 minutes 293
FAN on drops of 1 degree per second or so
2 minutes 260
3 minutes 248
4 minutes slowed to 237
FAN off allowed to come to 331
Fan on
Fast drop
1 minute 289
came back down to 228

So there it is for now I will do more as I have time.
Click here to enlarge

Last edited by smitty901; 09-06-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Cooling Test Data