Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cooling Test Data

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Nice work! I’ve done my own fan project, so I know what you’ve got going on there. Don’t take this the wrong way, but knowing what I know about Twin Cam cooling, your results at idle at 70F ambient do not particularly impress me. Not to discourage you in any way but I’ve done this type of testing extensively, and you are going to see radically different results at 95F ambient, turning 3k RPMs. Keep your testing in alignment with real operating conditions if you want reasonably accurate results. Keep driving on with the project, its looking good.
His methodology is sound as the Lenale fan is not really a player at any engine speed other than idle, 0 road speed, and that is where EITMS comes into play. When the bike comes off idle it attains airflow on its own and then the oil coolers come into play. That is real operating conditions as far as the Lenale fan is concerned, idle, 0 road speed(or very very very slow)

Old 01-27-2011, 11:25 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Screw it, just ride!!!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
i can see how this fan theory would work, but you left something out of the equation. the test on your bike was done without the bike moving through the air. our motors were designed, obviously as air cooled motors, and any air cooled engine if it's sitting in still air will overheat. and yes, i was a mechanical engineer prior to retiring 9 years ago. get your bike out in the wind, that's what it was designed for.
Exactly When the bike is moving the fan might or might not make any difference. Nobody leaves later bikes idling. It could make a difference putting along maybe.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Chaffeekid
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Outstanding post! Your repositioning of the horn is also much better than the one offered in the kit! Looks like it belongs there. I think I will go for the Oil Cooler, used to run the old Lockharts on my old shovelhead (78 FLH) out in Ca. Keep us informed of the oil cooler tests. Great Job
Ride Safe

Old 01-28-2011, 06:59 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Escellent write up!

I have to commend you on a great write up! You performed that in a very "matter of fact" way that is easily understood.

Thank you!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Nice work! I’ve done my own fan project, so I know what you’ve got going on there. Don’t take this the wrong way, but knowing what I know about Twin Cam cooling, your results at idle at 70F ambient do not particularly impress me. Not to discourage you in any way but I’ve done this type of testing extensively, and you are going to see radically different results at 95F ambient, turning 3k RPMs. Keep your testing in alignment with real operating conditions if you want reasonably accurate results. Keep driving on with the project, its looking good.
Must be missing something. Why would you sit in traffic at 3000 rpm?

The following users liked this post:
softailman1 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Good data, clear, concise write up!

Thank you.

I was planning on installing a Lenale fan on bike this spring just to ensure I don't end up pushing my bike through Sturgis this summer....

I find it amazing that so many people have no idea what the purpose of a parade type fan is. I also find it strange that these same people have never been stuck in traffic on their bikes...

Again, well done.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Have had my Lenale fan on for the last 6000 miles. Turns on with my ACC switch and works great. I have the oil temp gauge and when in slow stoplight to stoplight traffic the temps start rise. When the oil temp gets around 230 I flip the ACC switch and the oil temp stays around the 230 mark.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 AM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you tested it in the environment it will be most needed.

I have been in traffic for extended periods of time due to accidents (interstate) and no way out. The Fan would shine in that situation.

You are correct, it would not be needed at speed. But sometimes we don't have a choice, we are stuck in traffic.

Good write up; this was not on my todo list, but it may be now...

Thanks,

Last edited by wingfoot; 01-28-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:01 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

As an engineer, I'm very impressed. Maybe I missread it, but when you turn the fans off, are you just turning the Lenale fan off, or the fans to the oil cooler as well?

Beary

Quick Reply: Engine Cooling Test Data