Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M&M giving me fits

Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default M&M giving me fits

I have a 1999 Ultra with the M&M fuel injection & it is flooding out all the time & runs poorly. Last year I replaced the injectors, engine temp sensor & adjusted my TPS & got it running ok, drop in fuel mileage down to 30-40 from 45-50. I had bought a Baro sensor & intake air temp sensor but had not put them on until it acted up this year. Seems when it turns cold out, it runs poorly, missing & popping. I put the baro sensor & the intake air temp sensor in it & then got a TPS since when it wouldn't start I messed with the TPS & I could at least get it running. But no matter where I put the TPS (it will set the light if I go too far either direction) it runs poorly. I pull the spark plugs & they are wet, so I dry them off & dry out the cylinders & it runs ok for about a minute (maybe less) & when I recheck, the plugs are wet again. I also replaced the fuel filter & the hoses inside are in great shape. I got some new SE 10mm spark plug wires & put them on since in the 30000 miles that I have owned the bike they have never been changed. Plugs have been changed also. I don't mind replacing some of the sensors since it has 83000 miles on it & it is a 1999. But aside from the computer, all the sensors that control fuel have been changed, with no difference. I did get a crank sensor but that should not affect fuel & I did pull the old one out & it looks ok. In a car if the crank sensor was bad it won't start, I would think that on a bike it would work the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Toby

Old 02-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,534 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Has the bike ever been plugged into a Diagnostic?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like the coil and the cam sensor is the only thing left that you haven't changed but you need the engine codes so you won't have to guess.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,534 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Exactly!

Old 02-05-2011, 05:54 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, you need it hooked up to a harley "scanalizer" to set the TPS correctly. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong there.......

Old 02-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The only thing I can think to suggest is a diagnostic reading, and or consider switching the intake and adding the carb of choice. But only if your not a purist. Some people like to keep their stuff as bone stock as possible. Case in point, My little 37 year old 914' still sports the original D-jetronic fuel injection system. However, I do plan on scoping out a carb intake for my 06' in anticipation for future use. I kinda hope I never need it, but I will be ready, as they did offer carbs on my year model and thus don't think I will be altering much from stock if I do change.
You could have the injectors inspected and cleaned. They will return them with a pressure and spray pattern report, as they test before and after cleaning. Some stock injectors just don't pair up well from the start, and will satisfy any questions about their operation.
$0.02

aka Bob

Old 02-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

If you don't want to take your bike to the dealer you can retrieve the codes yourself (you would need a scanalizer that's not sold to the public). I made my own. There's a 4 pin plug under your right side cover that's not plugged into anything. This is where the scan tool would plug in. Pins 1 and 2 are toward the front of the bike,3 and 4 toward the back. I found 4 female connector pins that fit the male pins in that plug. Pins 3 and 4 have to be shorted together. Strip the ends of a short piece of wire and crimp onto connector pins and plug into 3 and 4 in the plug. Slide 2 more pins on 1 and 2 in the connector. Get a test light (any kind will do) and connect to pins 1 and 2. Turn your ignition switch on and you will see your test light blink 7 times with a pause in 2 consecutive orders. Your next sequence will be your trouble code sequence,count the pulses of light. Look in your service manual and it tells you what the codes relate to. If there's another code it will come up next after a pause,followed by the 7 pulses. You must have a service manual to troubleshoot this.

Last edited by Mike T; 02-05-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Are you saying that on a Twinkie you can't read the codes without a tool? My '98 does, but I've only had to do that once for the FI.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Are you saying that on a Twinkie you can't read the codes without a tool? My '98 does, but I've only had to do that once for the FI.
The dealer can read it for $75 an hour.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't have the money for the scanner or take it to the dealer to get diagnosed. I will try the method to get any codes, the only time I get the CEL on is when I move the TPS to far either way. I may have to pull the injectors & send them in, hope that they are not bad, just put them in last year. I still have the other injectors, so maybe I can send in all of them. I am going to try to make some adapters for my fuel lines so I can check my fuel pressure, maybe it will show that the regulator is stuck causing high fuel pressure. To bad Snap On doesn't make a scanner to check the system out. A HD Scannalizer is on my wish list, but about the time I get one I will upgrade to a newer model & it won't work on it. Since I am in the mountains I don't want to go to carbs, I know you can get them to run ok, but I lie FI. Thanks for the input, sometimes you can get to focused on something that you can miss the simple things, or not realize that there is something that you don't know.

Toby

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: M&M giving me fits