Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The New Shocks on 2019 models.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 05:42 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts
Default The New Shocks on 2019 models.

Hey guy's,

I just purchased my New Ride about 3 weeks ago and was just curious to see where most of you with a rider have there shock set at, 4 or 5 or ? I haven't really had much riding time with all the torrential rains and cold we've had in East Tn. so I figured I'd see where you all have your adjustment set too, might get me in the ballpark, thanks.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:04 AM
jcarruth
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Set the preload so that you have about 30 mm of sag. Or, set it according to the weight you are carrying per the manual. Either way, you are still riding on one Showa on the left and what is essentially a spring on the right. The stock setup on Rushmore HDs absolutely sucks, and replacing it with premium shocks should be the first upgrade that you do.
Look up Carol Burks (Smarty) on roadglide.org and heed his advice. I went with 13" Ohlins HD 159s on my RGS.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:25 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by jcarruth
Set the preload so that you have about 30 mm of sag. Or, set it according to the weight you are carrying per the manual. Either way, you are still riding on one Showa on the left and what is essentially a spring on the right. The stock setup on Rushmore HDs absolutely sucks, and replacing it with premium shocks should be the first upgrade that you do.
Look up Carol Burks (Smarty) on roadglide.org and heed his advice. I went with 13" Ohlins HD 159s on my RGS.
I totally agree. I went with Ohlins. Would probably go with Pro Action if I had it to do over.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:14 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by jcarruth
Listen to his advice!!!!

Old 03-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,679 Likes on 822 Posts

Anyone ever try to put 2 of the adjustable on, one on each side?

Old 03-08-2019, 03:39 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
Anyone ever try to put 2 of the adjustable on, one on each side?
I don't think there is enough spring strength in the adjustable ones to do that. JMHO but could be wrong.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:20 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Dang, so the new shocks suxk big time. Well I'll play around a bit with the adjustment and if I can't get them to my liking I'll purchase a new set of something and give those a try, thanks.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:28 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
Dang, so the new shocks suxk big time. Well I'll play around a bit with the adjustment and if I can't get them to my liking I'll purchase a new set of something and give those a try, thanks.
Most people think so. But there are a few that really like them. I’m thinking probably heavier riders or those who haul heavier loads.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:13 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
I don't have a problem with them. I swapped on a set on the 2012 SG I had as well. I think people just tend to bandwagon on here at times to have something to complain about. I have mine set up for two up riding with the tour pak on and usually leave them that way. Do I hit a hard bump and notice it once in a while....sure. But it isn't anything that makes me want to go buy new shocks. They ride better then air shocks and my Dyna...so I can handle it.

Make your own decision.

Oh and I'm 5.9 190, so I don't think I'm in the heavier rider.

Last edited by craigffb; 03-10-2019 at 10:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by craigffb:
jd05flhtci (03-10-2019), load97 (03-12-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:39 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

I have new shocks on their way, but I think I should have held off on my purchase. The stock shocks are actually pretty good. My last bike with 12" shocks was a 2007. Those shocks weren't very good! I'm kind of impressed with these, from 2019 SG Special. Raising the back end of the bike an inch is somewhat important to me, so spending the money isn't a total waste, but I don't feel the change is necessary for ride quality.

The following users liked this post:
fairlydangerous1 (03-12-2019)

Quick Reply: The New Shocks on 2019 models.