Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Incentives with a New Bike Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

Timing has a lot to do with it also. When the new year models start hitting the floor they want to get rid of last years stuff. Ask for the moon, all they can say is no and you can head for the door.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 AM
LCook
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing you need to remember, is that they will make money when they sell a bike. Don't look at it as if you're taking the salesguys paycheck if you negotiate hard. They won't sell a bike at a loss. Just think about it, and string them along. If you go in one day at noon and you leave by 2 o'clock with a bike, chances are you didn't get a good deal. Take your time and don't go in with the intention of buying the same day (unless they meet all your demands). As someone else said, all they can say is no.

Also - get everything in writing. I bought a Ford expedition 3 years ago. In the after market sales meeting where they try and sell you the extra crap - I had a finance guy pushing the maintenance package on me. All maintenance covered for 5 years (oil, filters, etc.) for a fixed price financed in the package. I had noticed earlier that this dealer has their own detailing business that preps cars before sell...a deep clean, if you will. They charge $199 for this service. So, I asked this guy about including a detail in the package with the maintenance deal. He said, "of course" and I got him to write it down on the pitch sheet, and I bought the deal. So, now, every 3k miles, they change the oil, filters, etc. and I get a sweet detailed service on the vehicle. The first few times I went back in, I had to jump and scream and holler because the service guys said "We would NEVER include that in the maintenance package." So, I whip out the pitch sheet with the finance guys initials and date on it...problem solved and I have a freshly cleaned vehicle.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Papatronics
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, at my local dealer I get a standing 10% off parts for current HOG membership.......

Old 02-11-2011, 01:01 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I get 20% off of parts (until I take delivery of the bike) and 10% off for 90 days after delivery. I also get the 1000 mile service free. And free storage for the bike for the remainder of the winter (that extends the 20% off until I decide it's warm enough to get the bike)

I have a pretty good pile of new parts in the living room

Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 PM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a 2011 Road glide Ultra here was my deal.

I paid 22,100 for the bike
I got a $1000.00 Store gift card (Free Labor on accessory's installed or ordered same day as I bought the bike)
Financed thru Eagle mark for 9.6% interest for 7 Years
No payment for 60 days
15% off all parts and labor ( had to sign up for local HOG chapter for 25.00)
7 year total warranty with wheel and tire protection for $1400.00
plus they extended my warranty to April because I cant ride right now
Free delivery
50% off first years service(s)

I felt like I got a good deal plus it took me about 3 months of haggling to finally sign on the dotted line but you cant ride with snow on the ground so play hard to get.

MSRP for my bike was 23,699.00

Last edited by usmc3468; 02-11-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:27 PM
stricky
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, been thinking,.... on a 2011 RKC .. if I offered $22,000.00 OTD. OTD price would include- freight, prep, extended warranty, doc fee, tax/title/license.

Would this be a good offer? with 20% off parts/labor/clothing and free 1000 mile service?

Old 02-11-2011, 03:46 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

check with other riders in your area as to what dealers do for you, I drive past 2 Harley Dealers in my area 15 minutes from me and deal with one that's only 45 minutes away, the one I deal with sells at msrp but gives you first 1K service for free, 2 free t-shirts, 20% off all purchases made at time of delivery, a coupon for 20% off a future purchase good for up to a year and will usually give you a color upgrade for free (depends on the bike but usually about $480 value)

Old 02-11-2011, 04:54 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

My story is a little long winded - but the jist of it is- I treated them with respect and in return I got a great deal...

I did not intend to get my bike last week, it really was a case of me going in to get parts for my 89 and then sitting on a new one and getting a case of the "crazies".

But, when I spoke with the Sales rep from the very first minute, I talked to him just like I would any of my clients at work or any of our partners / subcontractors. I let him know up front that I understood that they need to run a business and make their margins.

With that i asked if he would consider me being able to trade in a 22 year old bike and I asked for a very low amount on the trade in so as to not scare him off. He said he would speak to the owner and that he would call me.

When the owner called we talked and again I treated him just like any of my clients that I have to negotiate with every day. The owner agreed to letting me trade in the old glide if it passed the service departments inspection.

I went down the next day with the bike and gave it to service . We then talked and they offered me the 11% off msrp for the bike if I bought it during this month and 11% off of parts and service for life if I joined the MVP program for 90 bucks. I paid for it right then and we continued to do the paperwork.

When service came back they had a laundry list of what was wrong with my bike, the owner looked it over, looked at me , told me it had been a pleasure to work with me on this deal and that most of the time, the guys he has to deal with are much more of a pain. With that he crumpled up the paper from Service, threw it in the trash and told the saleman to give me the amount we had previously discussed for the trade-in of the bike and seal the deal.

I thanked him and finished up all the paperwork. When I was done, the principle owner of the shop came over to me and told me that she had heard from the owner and the sales rep that it had been real good deal for them to work with me on it and welcomed me the dealership and told me I could come to her if I ever needed anything.

In the end, I saved 11% off of msrp on a fully loaded FLHTX and got 11% off parts and service for life -with a 5 year warranty, road hazard and road side assistance and the asking amount of my trade in.

I have zero problems with the deal and I'm glad they treated me as well as I treated them.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 PM
stricky
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank 89FLHT- Yeah i'm willing to do what it takes to develop that relationship with my dealer for future service/etc. I simply want a fair deal.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stricky
I hear all these incentives people are getting with the purchase of their new bike. $1000 and $2000 dollar in store credit, 10 - 30% off parts/labor for a year, first 1000 mile service free, free T-shirt, bumper sticker, hand job, etc. etc. Not to mention 10%+ off MSRP. This stuff never seems to happen to me, so I thought i'd ask the experts on how you do it.
Ok here is my question.
When you guys go in to "negotiate" a deal. Do you throw these incentives at the dealer or do they? Do you have specific incentives you shoot for or always ask for? At what point are you asking too much? Or do you simply shoot for the moon? Help a newbie out here on his first harley deal. I'm looking to buy in the next few weeks.
Thanks everyone!

YEH!!!! What he said!! I got a key chain. WTF!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Incentives with a New Bike Purchase