Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Incentives with a New Bike Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 07:44 PM
barkingspud
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're paying cash, the dealer has fewer opportunities at making additional money from you. They make a TON of money on the financing piece. I'm not one who has 20k cash laying around (or a home with equity) so, there are two or three components to the sale for me. Trade value, Price for the bike and finance rate. All three negotiated as a separate item.

I bought a used 2009 FLHTCU in the last month from a local dealer and got it for 18K. I got KBB trade in value for my Honda. Where they got me was the finance rate with Harley Davidson Financial (Eaglemark). It was a juice loan. LOL...Needless to say, I caled my local credit union and re-financed for the same 72 month term at 7.5%. Needless to say, the dealer was a bit miffed because they were probably making a TON of money on the juice loan. I hadn't even made my first payment.

Moral of the story for me. get financing FIRST! I was expecting the same experience when I bought my Honda as I got a 60 month loan for 4.9% without any hassle.

I did get a few parting gifts though. A couple of t-shirts, battery tender, 20% off P&A and Motor clothes for 90 days, 10% off after that when I join the local HOG chapter. Oh, and they picked up my scoot and are storing it as a "complimentary" service.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up my 2011 Rootbeer Limited the last week of march. The salesman made the mistake of saying they wanted to move x number of bikes by the end of the month.

I ended up OTD for $24,000 - $250 gift card - 2 shirts - 20% off for life as long as I keep my hog membership - and 10% off non hd parts
And the best thing I got was a permanent grin!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:30 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

It all has to do with the dealer.
I have been riding around alot with my buddies while they look for new bikes here in Louisiana and the dealers don't offer much. Maybe $500 and a t-shirt.
When I bought my 2010 Street glide in NC before I moved I got $1000 for parts, free first service with all synthetics, two t-shirts, three hours or free labor, and a free riders edge class that I gave to a buddy that needed it. I tell my guys to try to get more but we had one dealer in TX tell my bud that they didn't need his buisness that bad, and that they had enough customers buying and were going to get what they where selling for the bike so they didn't need to offer incentives. Whe didn't stay long!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 AM
elmo771
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

When I bought mine in October, a 2012 Ultra classic, My deal was 13,000 trade in for my 08 Road King. I paid Msrp but got the 5 year warranty and first service included. A 15% discount on parts and accessories, 2 shirts And I used My credit union for Financing. I didn,t think I did bad.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 879 Likes on 382 Posts

When anyone buys a new bike at my shop they get 2 t-shirts, 1,000 mile service, 10% off for 3 months, national HOG membership, local HOG membership, and a detail kit.
It's printed on the tag that hangs on the bike.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:54 AM
dlowenth
Stage IV

Thanks for all the feedback. I combined what I was seeing and went back to the sales guy and they agreed to my terms! Hooray! I pick it up at 3pm! :-))))

• The motorcycle at list (even though there are only four in the state)
• A $1000 in store credit (gift card)
• The 1000 mile service for free
• 15% off any in store purchases for the first 90 days
• Free labor on the install of any parts I buy at the time of pickup
• NO setup fees
• Free trailer delivery

Old 12-19-2011, 12:02 PM
barkingspud
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dlowenth
Thanks for all the feedback. I combined what I was seeing and went back to the sales guy and they agreed to my terms! Hooray! I pick it up at 3pm! :-))))

• The motorcycle at list (even though there are only four in the state)
• A $1000 in store credit (gift card)
• The 1000 mile service for free
• 15% off any in store purchases for the first 90 days
• Free labor on the install of any parts I buy at the time of pickup
• NO setup fees
• Free trailer delivery
Congratulations!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:11 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Wow, seems it worked great holding out a little to do some research. Might be a good time to have that 120R installed before pick up!
Enjoy

Old 07-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Acuestick1
Novice
Default A few mistakes...

In reading this thread, I have picked up on a common misconception that I believe is worthy of mention. One dealer cannot do anything more than any other dealer can do on a new bike... I'm speaking as a former dealer in new vehicles. The Harley (no matter what model) costs the exact same to each dealer as to another, with no difference whatsoever. So... if you go to Sacramento and they have a smokin' FLH that you just love, there's hundreds of them throughout the country at other dealers that cannot be discounted ANY MORE than the one you're staring in the face in Sacramento. The key is WILLINGNESS, not ABILITY. All these franchise dealers pay the exact same and get the same factory incentives from Harley Davidson as each other. It is our job only to find the one who is MOST WILLING to earn our business. Motivation is very high at the very end of each month when they are making their last push to achieve quotas, and even more motivated the last week of December. Never get confused into thinking that this dealer or that has better prices on new bikes. The only thing that separates them is their motivation. So... be educated, be calm, patient and personable. The more they like you and connect with you, the more likely they will be to work hard to get your business. Also worth noting, is the more hours spent on you, the less willing they are to let you leave without offering you all there is to offer. Hope this helped someone.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Acuestick1
Novice
Default Offer a profit!

Go into your dealership armed with the invoice price of the bike you want, an offer of a reasonable profit margin and a willingness to walk out if they aren't willing to achieve your goal. The info you need is here (http://www.seedealercost.com/product...ar-select=2015) and every dealer will hate me for mentioning this. Also research dealer incentives before arriving, so you have all the info you need to make an educated decision. The first dealer that realizes that you know your stuff and you're prepared to leave and go to the next dealer... will be the one to sign you up on YOUR terms. Good luck guys!