Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Incentives with a New Bike Purchase

Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 PM
stricky
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Incentives with a New Bike Purchase

I hear all these incentives people are getting with the purchase of their new bike. $1000 and $2000 dollar in store credit, 10 - 30% off parts/labor for a year, first 1000 mile service free, free T-shirt, bumper sticker, hand job, etc. etc. Not to mention 10%+ off MSRP. This stuff never seems to happen to me, so I thought i'd ask the experts on how you do it.
Ok here is my question.
When you guys go in to "negotiate" a deal. Do you throw these incentives at the dealer or do they? Do you have specific incentives you shoot for or always ask for? At what point are you asking too much? Or do you simply shoot for the moon? Help a newbie out here on his first harley deal. I'm looking to buy in the next few weeks.
Thanks everyone!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first of all I am a Shriner and I just asked for the shrine discount and I already new that the Ultra was covered on that discount. I got just over 4 K for that, then they just told me that I get 15% off on some extras for the bike and the same for the motorclothes. So basicly I loaded her up and they installed all the parts I wanted at that time.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 PM
stricky
Cruiser

Mphamrick- What about Labor? did they give you discount on labor?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to act like you really shouldn't buy one and act like your not that excited, save that for when you leave.

Make them sell it to you, if you act like you are going to get it know matter what, then it's over and they have you.

look at the bike you want at a dealer that your NOT going to buy from 1st, for 2 reasons: 1) to look hands on at the bikes and 2) to practice not caring lol.

Then go to your dealer.

Then when you go to buy and you have done the above and are at the point to where you are ready to deal, tell them you're going to think about it. Then make sure you have that guys name and # and most importantly, make sure he has yours!

Leave, then wait until 1 hr before closing the NEXT day (dosen't give him a lot of time) and then call him (don't go there).

When I got to this point I said; A buddy of mine wants me to go to a different dealer (never name which one) because they gave him a hell of a deal. (still talking to dealer) I'll tell you what, if you give me my first FULL service for free, throw in a derby and matching timing cover, plus two helmets like my friend tells me I can get, then I'll will be in tomorrow to sign papers, but I have to know today because I'm buying somewhere tomorrow.

He said I can't do that and I said I understand and maybe next time. He called back 45mins later, offered the first Full 1000mi service, derby cover (no timing cover) and 1 helmet. I did not act thrilled, but said that since the drive to the other dealer was far away, that I would except his deal an be there tomorrow sometime.

I since have chucked the derby cover lol.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:49 AM
stricky
Cruiser

Thanks JIMSFBL. Well I know these guys gotta make money too. I was just wondering if any of you had specific incentives you always get. My brother got 10% off parts and his first 1000 mile service free. But this $1000+ instore credit I dont get. How can they do that? Is that with a trade in usually? thanks for the info.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 AM
BigD629
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just called every dealer in state and some surrounding states to get their out the door price. Found one about 60 miles outside the city that was giving 1000.00 off MSRP or for accessories. Plus I got 25% off anything purchased within 60days. This was in June, so I would think there should be some good incentives this time of year.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Varies from dealer & depends on which bike you want to negotiate. Of course they'll want to move the older/non-selling scoots 1st so these will bring better incentives. If it's one of the hot bikes/colors - sales staff will be less willing to work on bonus adds. Best to go in with thought of not owning & do the Lady Gaga (Poker Face)...

Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 AM
stricky
Cruiser

I'm looking at a vivid black road king classic. they had one a week ago, it sold in 2 days. i'm thinking this dealer isn't going to give any incentives on this bike. guess no harm in asking. What would be your basic package incentive I should ask for? 1000 mile service free and some % off parts?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 AM
driver
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a deposit on a 2011 Street Glide with a 103 PowerPak last week (bike will not be here until 24 Feb). After talking to 6 different dealers the best deal I got was MSRP for the bike and $1,000 store credit. No shipping or assembly cost. I think a lot of it depends on the area your at.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM
JHeiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on who you are and where you are shopping. If you have bought a bike previously from a dealer most times they cut you a break. If you are shopping at a dealer that moves a bike every other week he is going to make the deal as sweet as he can to move you out on one.

My favorite thing to ask for but no dealer has taken me up on - at least not yet. I will buy a new bike if I can keep my old one, you Mr. Dealer pay off my old one for me and not add the payoff to the price of the new one and I would like a $1000 in store credit to go along with my lifetime 15% discount on parts and service. If you can do that Mr. Dealer we have a deal - yeah I know I am freaking crazy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Incentives with a New Bike Purchase