Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long for a dyno tune??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:21 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

It all depends on how good a MAP the tuner starts with. A simple stage I with a good starter MAP takes me about 2 1/2 hours to dial in. If the bike has Cams and I have a close MAP for the build usually 3 hours or so. If it's a cam that I don't have a MAP for could take 5 or more hours. Our shop charges a flat $250 plus tax, no matter how long it takes. There can be alot of issues in a dyno, computer and such, and it's not fair for us to charge by the hour if our computer decides to act up.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
It all depends on how good a MAP the tuner starts with. A simple stage I with a good starter MAP takes me about 2 1/2 hours to dial in. If the bike has Cams and I have a close MAP for the build usually 3 hours or so. If it's a cam that I don't have a MAP for could take 5 or more hours. Our shop charges a flat $250 plus tax, no matter how long it takes. There can be alot of issues in a dyno, computer and such, and it's not fair for us to charge by the hour if our computer decides to act up.

That's what I am talking about. Why should we pay for user/machine error?

Old 02-11-2011, 03:50 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by editbrain
That's what I am talking about. Why should we pay for user/machine error?

If you only knew how much time has been spent over the years wasted because we were having computer issues. Between the vibration and the heat in the dyno room, seams like there is always something going on. we just figure a flat rate is the only way to go. Some we win some we lose, but it's nice for the customer to know exactly how much he will be paying when he picks his bike up.

I just read your signiture, PM me some of the issues you are having with your SEPST, if you want. I don't want to discuss it here and hijack the thread.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:30 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Issues, such as a computer acting up, have to be built into the labor rate because that is the nature of the business or be a non profit organization which is OK, if that is your choice.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Almost a tank of gas.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:29 PM
fripple
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 hrs to do mine. Dallas, TX is see...you have a good tuner in your neighborhood...

http://www.thedynodifference.com/

Old 02-11-2011, 09:13 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by geargrinder
Issues, such as a computer acting up, have to be built into the labor rate because that is the nature of the business or be a non profit organization which is OK, if that is your choice.
Our shops been doing it this way for about 12 years, I don't know how you figure we are non-profit. We average 2 1/2 dyno's a day, some days we get 3 in, some days we're lucky to get 2 done. It all balances out. That equals about $85 bucks an hour the dyno makes in an 8 hour day. When the dyno is down for some reason, the shop pays for it, not the customer. What if you had a tire mounted and paid by the hour and the tire machine broke, shold the shop be charging you by the hour untill it's fixed? The dyno is a tool the same as any other shop tool, if/ when it goes down, it's a maintainence issue.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been quoted 95.00 an hour.. and was told if the map was close then 1-2 hrs should do.

joe

Old 02-12-2011, 12:05 AM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Local HD dealer has a "special" of $399

Old 02-12-2011, 07:25 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I think that we are on the same page. What I meant is that you have to build these issues, that are a normal part of business, into your rates and if you have been doing this for 12 years you obviously understand it. However, the customers often do not, they often look at that $85/hr as close to your take home pay. Our automotive dyno was down for two weeks once awaiting a major and expensive part, our sole business was based around that machine. With the realization that this is a reality of business we soon built this into our new rates, like a retail store builds shrinkage do to theft into their prices. No, we did not charge the customer, whos Viper broke it, for two weeks. Sorry for causing confusion on my post.

Our shops been doing it this way for about 12 years, I don't know how you figure we are non-profit. We average 2 1/2 dyno's a day, some days we get 3 in, some days we're lucky to get 2 done. It all balances out. That equals about $85 bucks an hour the dyno makes in an 8 hour day. When the dyno is down for some reason, the shop pays for it, not the customer. What if you had a tire mounted and paid by the hour and the tire machine broke, shold the shop be charging you by the hour untill it's fixed? The dyno is a tool the same as any other shop tool, if/ when it goes down, it's a maintainence issue.

Quick Reply: How long for a dyno tune??