Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Senior Rider
Default Extended Shifter Peg after Footboard Extentions?

I just added some 1" Harley Goodies rider footboard extenders, which are great, but now I'm kinda thinking I might need a longer front shifter peg. Or maybe I'm just not used to reaching over so far with my foot yet. Muscle Memory? For those of you who installed the same (or similar) HG footboard extentions, did you feel the need to get a longer shifter peg?
Picture: http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...Cleftrear1.jpg
Old 02-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Senior Rider

I bet your toe shifter is installed on the inside? If the toe shifter is not reaching out far enough take both the toe and heel shifters off the shaft and install the heel first and then the toe on the outside.That should move it out far enough to solve your problem without needing a new peg.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Clozoff View Post
I bet your toe shifter is installed on the inside? If the toe shifter is not reaching out far enough take both the toe and heel shifters off the shaft and install the heel first and then the toe on the outside.That should move it out far enough to solve your problem without needing a new peg.
Correct.....my toe shifter is intalled on the inside. However, I removed the heel shifter before I even left the dealer with the new bike. So I guess my options are a longer shifter peg, or some sort of spacer behind the toe shifter, right?
Old 02-12-2011, 12:24 AM
One Of The Regulars

Shifter peg is plenty long for me. My heel shift is removed & my toe shift lever is back on the shaft in the factory position. You'll probably get used to it & if you remove the heel shift, your foot had all kinds of "wiggle room" on long trips.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Senior Rider

Check this thread there were several guys that added spacers of some sort.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...ake-pedal.html
Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Clozoff View Post
Check this thread there were several guys that added spacers of some sort.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...ake-pedal.html
Thanks for the link. That helps.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Senior Rider

Kuryakyn sells a longer shift peg. If you choose to keep the front and rear shifters, the longer peg in front makes both pegs about even.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the opposite problem, before the extentions, I felt my feet were cramped and the shifter peg kept getting in my way. Made some extentions, problem solved. Seems I'm used to pulling my toe inboard to shift, maybe cause my first bike was a pos dirt bike.

2012 Road King - "Pearl"
2007 Road King Classic - Totaled
2002 sportster 883R/1200 - traded
1985 Honda VF700S - wore slam out
1969 Triumph TR6R - wore slam out
Old 02-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Outstanding HDF Member
Mike Sowle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lass7711 View Post
Kuryakyn sells a longer shift peg. If you choose to keep the front and rear shifters, the longer peg in front makes both pegs about even.
+1 on this I have one on all 3 bikes. Think I bought them at the harley shop

America is at that awkward stage, it's too late to work within the system, but it's too early to shoot the bastards"---Claire Wolfe
Old 02-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Rider

They Kuryakyn Longhorn shifter peg is 5/8" longer than the factory shifter peg, which is 2" long. Since I moved the footboards out 1", I want an extended shifter peg that's at least 1" longer. I looked high and low yesterday and came across a black/chome one made by V-Twin Manufacturing for $25 shipped.

They offer one (#21-1665) that's 3.75" long, with an overall length of 4.5". So in the end, I'm gaining the 1" of peg length that I lost, plus an extra .75", which seems just about perfect. Once received and installed, I will report back with a short review. If it turns out to be too long, I'll probably give the Luryakyn Longhorn a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXTEN...item3364db591e
Old 02-13-2011, 10:59 AM

P

Tags
2011, 211665, classic, extended, extened, forum, harley, hd, king, lever, peg, pegs, road, shift, shifter, shifters, ultra