Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Hydraulic Tensioner kit installation woes!!

Old 02-12-2011, 03:57 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,943 Likes on 1,703 Posts
Default SE Hydraulic Tensioner kit installation woes!!

Here’s a long post for ya…. 1999 carbureted Dyna with 50k miles. SE Hydraulic tensioners upgrade kit going in and keeping stock cams. The instructions that come with the SE hydraulic upgrade kit state at the top of page 1 that the following additional parts are needed:

25285-08 spacer kit
17045-99D cam service kit
25533-99A gear retention kit
25716-99 splined cam drive sprocket (99 dyna/touring models)
94667-00 oil control kit (99 dyna/touring models)

So, one would assume that going into a 1999 Dyna you would have to purchase all of the above. You get to page 2 and the top of the page states “For carbureted models” and you scroll down to #2 which reads, “For 1999 Models only: See the service manual to remove and discard the currently installed cam sprocket.” Also on page 2 it states to grab the roller bearing upgrade kit from the cam service gasket kit and install it on the rear sprocket as shown in the diagrams.

Now comes part of the kicker. Not until you get to middle of page 5 under #20 does it say “For 1999-2000 Dyna, etc. models….”These vehicles will retain the original style primary cam chain and sprockets to work with the cam position sensor. The roller style chain and sprockets in this kit are to be discarded.” So, basically all you can use in the kit is the plate, tensioners and oil pump and you have to keep both front and rear silent chains.

So the rear camshaft in the 99 Dyna is smooth and keyed, not splined. The 25716-99 sprocket that they tell you that you need to buy is splined and will not fit onto the keyed smooth camshaft. So, basically that was a waste of $70 to buy the new sprocket and you have to use the existing sprocket.

Now, under service bulletin M1097 regarding the upgraded roller bearing kit, it specifically states in the bulletin that the roller bearing is to be used on rear “splined” camshafts. Some folks have successfully installed the roller bearing on the smooth camshaft. I was able to successfully install the race and bearing with the o-ring. However, in the instructions in the hydraulic kit it tells you to install it using the gear and gear retention bolt. In doing this, it crushed the bottom of the groove in the keyway and caused a burr. So that had to be taken care of.

Now when you put the stock sprockets on and use the .350 stock spacer and put a straight edge on the sprockets, you will find that the rear sprocket has to be space out farther to be in spec. So you go to the handy 25285-08 spacer kit they told you to buy and you will find that it is like putting a wedding ring on a babies finger………it’s way oversized so that kit was a useless waste of money. So you go to the 1999 Dyna service manual and find that the next sized up spacer is .360 which would probably work. Punch in the numbers and find out that all those spacers are now obsolete.

So research reveals that the stock 25544-99 cam is superseded by -99B rear cam kit. A breakdown of this kit shows that it is a splined cam (25544-00) and includes the 25716-99 splined sprocket. The 25544-00 A grind cam is used in all carbureted models through 2006.

So figuring that you don’t use half of the kit, you might as well buy the parts individually and save some cash……………….WRONG! A breakdown shows the plate itself to be $319 and the pump alone is $197 so you’re already up over $500 and you haven’t bought the tensioners yet.

So the bottom line is to make this kit work with a 1999 carbureted Dyna with keyed cams you need to change cams to either performance cams or grab someone’s stock A grind cam take-offs.

Sorry for the long rant, but you would think the MOCO would specifically state this in the instructions instead of leading people astray.

Last edited by dawg; 02-16-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Well the A grind take-offs arrived in the mail today. They looked better than the stock 50k mile cams that were in there so that's a plus. New bearings and dropped them in. Able to use the newer splined sprocket and make this work now.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Well done Dawg. We're right behind you!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:49 PM
haman66
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one more favor

how about a nice neat parts list of you you ended up needing thanks John ps i know it all on the page somewhere

Old 06-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Eaglewolf
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dawg
Well the A grind take-offs arrived in the mail today. They looked better than the stock 50k mile cams that were in there so that's a plus. New bearings and dropped them in. Able to use the newer splined sprocket and make this work now.

Hey there Dawg, I wished I would have read this before purchasing mine from Harley and would have bought an aftermarket upgrade kit.
In all of the parts Harley says you need and then AFTER opening the instructions and finding them telling you to discard certain parts, those parts that I cannot use adds up to $150.00. That's a lot of money!
Can you please tell me what the A Take Offs are that you are referring too?
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, my cams are the non splined cams as well.
Thanks Dawg

Old 06-04-2014, 06:08 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Eaglewolf
Hey there Dawg, I wished I would have read this before purchasing mine from Harley and would have bought an aftermarket upgrade kit.
In all of the parts Harley says you need and then AFTER opening the instructions and finding them telling you to discard certain parts, those parts that I cannot use adds up to $150.00. That's a lot of money!
Can you please tell me what the A Take Offs are that you are referring too?
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, my cams are the non splined cams as well.
Thanks Dawg
The A cams I referred to pertain to the stamp on the camshafts for a carbed bike. What I did was found a set of take-off cams someone was selling on ebay.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Eaglewolf
3rd Gear

Thanks brother. I found a set for my fuel injected model that has only 4K miles on them. Guess these would be a good choice for my bike.
Ride safe, ride free.