Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak Rear Speaker Pods--Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:05 PM
StanfordMan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tour Pak Rear Speaker Pods--Question

I have a 2009 Street Glide with a four-point docking hardware kit. I plan to buy a King Tour Pak with a Detachable Tour Pak Mounting Rack that will allow to attach and remove theTour Pak easily. I'd also like to add the rear speaker pods. However, both my dealer and the parts catalog indicate that the HD rear speaker pods will only work with the rigid mount Tour Pak (e.g., like the one that comes standard on the Ultra). So my question is whether anyone has any experience or knowledge as to whether rear speakers can be added to a detachable King Tour Pak? For example, even if the HD rear speaker pods won't work with a detachable Tour Pak setup, there are other after-market rear speaker pods out there (e.g., J&M's 5.25" speakers). Does anyone know if any of the after-market speaker kits will work with the detachable Tour Pak?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:22 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Short answer, yes it can be done. I have a king tour pak w/ side marking lights and speaker pods. I had them both customized to be detached. Both of the wires can be stored underneath either the 2 up seat or my C&C solo seat.

YELLOWBIRD

Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordMan
I have a 2009 Street Glide with a four-point docking hardware kit. I plan to buy a King Tour Pak with a Detachable Tour Pak Mounting Rack that will allow to attach and remove theTour Pak easily. I'd also like to add the rear speaker pods. However, both my dealer and the parts catalog indicate that the HD rear speaker pods will only work with the rigid mount Tour Pak (e.g., like the one that comes standard on the Ultra). So my question is whether anyone has any experience or knowledge as to whether rear speakers can be added to a detachable King Tour Pak? For example, even if the HD rear speaker pods won't work with a detachable Tour Pak setup, there are other after-market rear speaker pods out there (e.g., J&M's 5.25" speakers). Does anyone know if any of the after-market speaker kits will work with the detachable Tour Pak?
Here is a couple links I have been looking at as I have a 09 Streetglide with a detachable tourpak and looking at adding rear speakers to it but have not decided which way to go yet. Maybe someone else can pipe up here and give us there opinion.

http://eglidegoodies.com/id286.html
http://www.biketronics.com/products/...Addon-Kit.html

Last edited by Scubamike; 02-14-2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You've found another example of HD's left hand not knowing what HD's right hand is doing. Specifically, you can buy an HD detachable tour pak kit for Ultras which is what you are contemplating doing, but skipping the permanently mounted tour pak that comes OEM from the factory on the Ultra and going directly to the detachable option.

Go ahead and get the HD rear speaker/pod kit if you want and install it per the instructions. When you want to detach the tour pak you'll need to unplug the connectors at the speaker pods which is exactly the same procedure HD uses in the Ultra detachable kit. Installing quick disconnect plugs as many have done simply reduces the amount of wiring stored under the seat when the tour pak is removed.

Unless you want the passenger controls or the convenience of the wiring supplied in the HD kit, consider buying aftermarket pods (some accept 6.5" speakers) and doing your own wiring.

Carl

Old 02-14-2011, 10:19 PM
StanfordMan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like Hogtunes sells a rear speaker pod kit that works with a detachable tour pak. Take a look at this link: http://www.hogtunes.com/bikes/FLHX/FLHX/pak.html

I have no idea what the quality of Hogtunes' speakers is, but this definitely looks like it's an option.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:57 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I added the speakers to my Tour Pak when I installed the detachable kit to it.
I am installing the Boom Intercom Kit to keep the Intercom for the passenger when I take the Tour Pak off. I thought about how to connect the speakers. I decided to take the factory plugs and make a 4 pin plug to connect the speaker wiring. One side has the light plug. The other side has the harness for both speakers. I am taking the wires for each speaker in the back of the speakers so they have a cleaner look.When i take the Tour Pak off, I just tuck the wires under the seat.

The antennas are in the fairing.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

The Hogtunes rear speaker pod/amp kit is used by many here. It doesn't use the rear speaker output signal from the Harman Kardon head unit (it takes the front speaker signal and splits it in the amp to provide the signal for the front and rear speakers amplifying only the front speakers) so you won't have fader control front/rear. The signal split is explained in their "Tech" section very well.

If you want to access the rear speaker signal from the HK and have fader control, it's easy to do (you'll need the 35 wire connector that plugs into the back of the radio and the sockets that go on the end of the speaker wires to assemble the connector) though the dealer will have to flash the HK head unit with the Digital Technician to turn "on" the fader control. You won't need the flash if the radio has already been flashed--just scroll through the bass, treble, etc. menu and if "fader" appears, the flash has already been done. If you don't want fader control, connecting to the rear speaker pinouts of the HK radio will still provide the rear signal to the speakers.

Good luck with your research.

Carl

Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Using HD parts for rear speaker pods is pricey. In addition to the kit, HD also requires use of the non-Ultra overlay harness (NUOH), p/n 70169-06, which lists for $120. If you buy the HD pods/speakers on Ebay, you'll need the harness that connects between the pods and the NUOH, audio harness 77157-06 which lists for $97.

If you want to use aftermarket pods, and also access the rear speaker pinouts of the HK radio, it's easy to do. The rear speaker pinouts on the HK radio requires use of the 35 wire connector, p/n 72384-06BK, and the sockets that go on the end of the wires to assemble the connector, p/n 72381-98. Seal pins are also used to fill the unused chambers of the 35 wire connector, p/n 72397-98. An open barrel crimp tool is used to attach the sockets to the wire ends prior to insertion into the 35 wire connector. You can order the 35 wire connector, sockets, and seal pins from any HD store.

The chambers in the 35 wire connector are numbered to correspond to the pinout on the HK radio. The pinouts to use are: Chamber #1--right rear+; #2 left rear +; #24 right rear -; and, #25 left rear -.

Carl

Old 02-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
I added the speakers to my Tour Pak when I installed the detachable kit to it.
I am installing the Boom Intercom Kit to keep the Intercom for the passenger when I take the Tour Pak off. I thought about how to connect the speakers. I decided to take the factory plugs and make a 4 pin plug to connect the speaker wiring. One side has the light plug. The other side has the harness for both speakers. I am taking the wires for each speaker in the back of the speakers so they have a cleaner look.When i take the Tour Pak off, I just tuck the wires under the seat.

The antennas are in the fairing.
Hope you will take the time to post a "how to" with pictures of your installation of the Boom Intercom kit. I'm sure it will be a big help to others.

Carl

Old 02-15-2011, 09:57 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordMan
It looks like Hogtunes sells a rear speaker pod kit that works with a detachable tour pak. Take a look at this link: http://www.hogtunes.com/bikes/FLHX/FLHX/pak.html

I have no idea what the quality of Hogtunes' speakers is, but this definitely looks like it's an option.
I added the Hog Tunes speaker pods to my King tour pak (detachable) and they work great! As Yellowbird said, wiring with quick disconnects hide under the seat when the pak is not in use.

Attached Thumbnails Tour Pak Rear Speaker Pods--Question-ultrastandard-006.jpg   Tour Pak Rear Speaker Pods--Question-ultrastandard-001.jpg  

Last edited by 07FLHT; 02-15-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Tour Pak Rear Speaker Pods--Question