Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have Heat Demons, grip recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Have Heat Demons, grip recomendations?

I already have the heat demons but am looking to upgrade from stock grips on my 08 Ultra. I have talked with a few guys about what grips to use, or not use and am curious what has worked best? I really like the large diameter rubber and chrome grips, but have been told the heat doesn't get to the rubber part that your hand actually touches really well. I am guessing the metal surface disapates the heat pretty quickly? Any input is appreciated.
Kris

Old 02-23-2011, 01:47 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in knowing this too. I picked up a set of Performance Machine Contour XL grips for my Street Glide. I ran across these "Heat Demons", and I'm thinking about buying a set to install with the grips.

Those PM XL grips are pretty damn fat. Has anyone run the Heat Demon on these type of grips?

Old 02-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Jerm21
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the "regular" PM grips with the renthal rubber installed with heat demons. I'll report back once I get a chance to ride. after I installed everything, I started the bike and the grips got plenty warm/hot just sitting, but I haven't had a chance to take a long ride on the highway to give you an honest opinion on how well they do. I can say that I have not heard anyone complain about them not being hot enough. Most reports that I have read said that they never move it past "level 2".

- Jerm

Old 02-23-2011, 05:46 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jerm21
I have the "regular" PM grips with the renthal rubber installed with heat demons. I'll report back once I get a chance to ride. after I installed everything, I started the bike and the grips got plenty warm/hot just sitting, but I haven't had a chance to take a long ride on the highway to give you an honest opinion on how well they do. I can say that I have not heard anyone complain about them not being hot enough. Most reports that I have read said that they never move it past "level 2".

- Jerm
Thanks for the feedback

Old 02-23-2011, 06:04 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

I have Heat Demons and am on my third set of grips now due to the lack of heat dissipation...

Recommendation: Get ALL metal grips of some type.

I had the stock grips...could feel plenty of warmth in the garage, but not out on the road where it counts in the cold.

Went to the HD Willie G (Skull) grips whick have a little metal showing, but still mostly rubber. These were a little better...but not quite there.

Next I went to the all metal HD Contrast Cut grips and I saw a major improvement in heat dissipation. I think any all metal...or mostly metal grip would work just fine. I believe it's the rubber that stops the heat from transferring with some grips.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:21 PM
slick10
Road Master

I put the Heat Deamons on the OL's deluxe and she has Kuryakyn iso grips. The grips work great for her and we ride in all kinds of weather. She also has Gerbings heated gloves as she had her left index finger re-attached (yup, it was cut off in an accident 5 years ago) and it needs to stay really warm or she could lose it!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have the Heat Demons With Kuryakyn ISO grips and am quite happy with the combination.

Arvid

Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 PM
viperr817
Road Captain

I have had both hd metal grips and now the hd black tribal plastic ones and I could not really notice a difference.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:40 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

I can see the Kury ISO's working just fine....seems to be plenty of metal there to conduct the heat. They have much more than the Willie G's do...

May also depend on what temps you're expecting your grips to perform in. I ride all year and regularly see 26* temps all winter long on my way to work. With the other sets of grips I had plenty of heat down to around 35-40*. Once it gets below freezing there was a definite difference in my eyes between the rubber and metal grips. Metal just seems to heat up quicker, more evenly, and get warmer than rubber.

That said, I think the Kury Iso's would do just fine by looking at them...

Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Bagger Bleu
Cruiser

Since I stayed with the stock grips on my limited I can not make any suggestions regarding metal or metal/rubber grips. However, the oem grip is rubber and it get's really hot. I ride in winter with unlined goatskin gloves with the heat setting at 2. Might even get all the way up to almost 3 if it's really cold. Thicker gloves would probably call for a higher setting.

Quick Reply: Have Heat Demons, grip recomendations?