Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV or Harley Race Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:22 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by blusmbl
Either with a piggyback system, that disables some of the functionality of the stock ECU, or with a flash-based tool that overwrites the stock ECU calibration.
Using the PCV as an example, what ECU feature is disabled besides use of the stock O2 sensors? If you mean PCV will not allow you to delve into the ECU tables, this is true.

djl- the Power Vision is a flash based tuner. It still uses the stock ECU code, and is speed density. They have similar/identical functionality to the TTS at this point, with the bonus of an interface box that you can use independent of a laptop. The technology itself is identical until you add the autotune retrofit for the Power Vision, then it'll have a leg up on the TTS for most people.
The AT-100 will not auto-tune, thus won't work as a closed-loop device, as it can't interface with the ECU. This is a limitation of the ECU, not PV, and the PV has no link to the ECU while the bike is running, except displaying or logging J1850 and PV information that can be shown on the display if desired. AT-100 Pro (known as Auto-Tune with the PCV) will data-log to the PV, and using software now in development it will create a new tune that can be flashed to the ECU after the engine is shut-down.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 267 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
as the ECU is not programmed to use wide-band sensors. This is a limitation of the ECU, not PV.
The ecu can use broadbands. It is being done by Rev Performance.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:40 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
and others. Superchips is going to be broadband.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:17 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by blusmbl
Without mentioning too much, calibrating EFI is what I do for a living (on larger engines...). Engineers are usually smug and elitist, I'm trying not to channel the stereotype. You are well above a C+.
Well, I confess I was a business major and have no formal education in engineering, so what little I know is self-acquired. I have a lot to learn and am very willing to fill the cognitive gaps.

Example, I've got a set of Vance & Hines fishtails on my bike. They aren't loud, but on a long trip I'm going to want it a little quieter so I can listen to my ipod through helmet speakers. The quiet baffles Vance & Hines sells are pretty restrictive compared to the regular baffles, so much so that I think they're more restrictive than the stock slipons. That is going to change the tune slightly. Because the O2's are still on the bike, they'll be able to lean it out a little to get back to the target lambda value. Would you notice a difference with a PCV? Maybe, maybe not. I know it would show up on an a/f trace on a dyno, though.
Never tried it, but it would definitely work with AT installed.

Humidity is a pain.
You don't know how much of a pain it really is 'til you endure S. LA during the summer months.

Honestly, the TTS was first, and I want to support them. I also get a work-issued rugged laptop that is usually either in a vehicle at work, or riding in my saddlebag with me anyway. It isn't a big deal to plug the USB cable in and collect data.
I bought a $250 netbook with SSD (no hard-drive) to carry on trips. With no hard-drive and very few moving parts there is less worry about the bike shaking it to death. So far it has survived two years of abuse.

I'm currently bored and sick of winter, I was recording data with the TTS a little while ago with the bike just idling in the garage. It displays most of what I'd like, only complaint is the data isn't all that fast, which is more a function of pulling data over CAN, and not the tool itself.
I haven't tried data-logging with the PV yet, but it is very easy. While the gauges are displayed you can hit "Start" and, you guessed it, the data-logging starts. Very convenient. The resulting log can then be downloaded from the PV to the computer via WinPV software, then viewed in Excel.

Without altitude corrections there will be substantial differences, if you drive up to Denver, as an example, but at sea level I wouldn't expect anything substantial.
So a tune in Denver would not be optimal for use in LA? Won't MAP compensate?

To take this a step further- your PCV+AT module has no major functionality improvements over the stock ECU in the bike. If I remember right, it's auto tuning, but you're still not running closed loop.
Actually, there's a big difference. It does run in closed-loop, writing trims at 50x/sec. in real-time and utilized by the PCV on the fly. If the base-map value is 20 in a given cell with a trim value of -7 dictated by AT it will provide 13% more fuel than the ECU dictates, and the trim value is constantly changing based on the feedback from the WB O2 sensors. The PCV has its own features that aren't available with any flash-based tuner, AFAIK, like the ability to switch between two maps on the fly (many more with the optional LCD-200 display unit), offsets tied to engine temperature, gears, speeds, turbo boost, etc.--just to name a few. Obviously, among the various tuners on the market, which features are more important depends on the needs of the rider.

Only difference is for the TTS, or the PV (until AT comes online), you have to tune the VE tables with the bike running at stoich, then you can go back and set the target AF or lambda to whatever you'd like.
I haven't wrapped my head around all of this just yet, but I understand the upcoming software for the AT-100 Pro will take the data-logs produced by AT100 and make changes to the VE, AFR, and perhaps other tables automatically when the upcoming software is run. OTOH it definitely will not do so in real time by interfacing with the ECU, as it is not an auto-tune device with PV like it is with the PCV.

I'd guess the majority of people are going to prefer the PV as it is handy carrying a small GPS-sized unit with them instead of a laptop. I also would believe the Dynojet interface is more flashy and more user friendly.
I wouldn't call it flashy, but does seem ergonomic and functional. After all, if I can more-or-less figure it out in a few days it must not be too esoteric. There are more areas that are not readily discernible to the non-engineering mind than with the PCV software, which was very user-friendly. I've figured most of it out since receiving the PV kit last Saturday, but there's still quite a bit to learn.

Now, when you get down to PV with autotune vs. Thundermax, it's just a matter of personal taste. I think the pricing is almost identical between them. The Thundermax is basic alpha-n instead of speed density, but for a more radical build it shouldn't make much of a difference. One of my coworkers is heavily involved with Zippers, and was really pushing the Thundermax for me. I couldn't bring myself to do it, though.
I considered T'Max several years ago, but decided against it because of its lack of knock-sensing, and I wasn't keen on replacing the ECU. Besides that, quite a few were complaining about detonation and other problems, but I understand the new TBW versions do have knock-sensing included. I have not heard much about the newer units either way, but no bad feedback at all. One reliable source told me it was quite competent, though.

My bike is mostly stock save for the intake/exhaust, so I'm leaving it at the lower end of closed loop for the majority of operating conditions.
I could easily live with the stock closed-loop system now that I have more control over it. If I didn't already have the WB sensors and AT modules already installed and ready to connect to the PV, once that functionality is available, I might re-install the NB O2 sensors and work with them. I could connect the AT-100 to the PV now with some jury-rigging, which would give me more gauge data to choose from like AFRs, but I'll just wait 'til DJ comes out with the appropriate and approved cabling and software. No hurry on that.

Last edited by iclick; 02-25-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:26 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firetender
Originally Posted by scj
You guys want to take a $20k bike and stick a product on it that takes away part of the injection system, go ahead. Those o2 sensors are there for a damn good reason.
You are so right: EMISSIONS CONTROL
This is the main reason for the NB sensors, IMO, and I don't think HD would even use them if emissions regulations didn't force the issue.

I'd like to make the following points on the importance of the NB O2 sensors. First, they only work at idle and only slightly above the cruise range, which is ~50% TP (throttle-position) and below and ~3000 RPM and below. Thus, above that point you are in open-loop mode and the stock O2 sensors do not work.

I've used both the PCIII and PCV, both basic and with Auto-Tune for the latter, and always ran full open-loop until I upgraded to Auto-Tune. Important factors in a well-tuned cruise-range include smooth and cool running; a lack of flat-spots, surging, or hesitation in transitions (roll-on); and good gas mileage. I never had any performance issues when running full open-loop and my mileage was always in the upper 40's to as high as 50 mpg on the backroads. Now, I would like for someone to explain what I was missing by eliminating the stock O2 sensors. To say that they are even a minor factor in a well-tuned, good-running bike is simply unfounded, IMO.

Last edited by iclick; 02-25-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:24 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Revolution EMS uses the Wideband sensors along with a WB controller. They have re-written the ECM code and use completely different O2 strategies than the conventional Delphi ECM, this is the only product currently on the market that offers live-real time wideband tuning with the Delphi ECM.

Originally Posted by mtclassic
and others. Superchips is going to be broadband.
The Superchips tuner is still in development, I met with them a few weeks back. Superchips will offer a wideband option however it is not live on the fly like the Rev EMS.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 02-25-2011, 11:33 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

...the ECU is not programmed to use wide-band sensors. This is a limitation of the ECU, not PV.
Instead of "ECU" I guess I should've qualified it by saying "stock ECU." The Rev Performance device doesn't use a stock ECU configuration. Man, the tuner market is changing like the weather! This is good for the consumer if he can keep up with the changes.

Last edited by iclick; 02-25-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Alymo
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Guys i am new to the forum. i have read this thread and many more and i still cant see a solution for my problem. while living in Dubai a couple of years ago, i bought new 2010 FXDWG. on a trip to the states i picked up the SE air filter and V&H big radius exhaust from HD Seattle. they also sold me a PCV to go along with it. after the install, the bike ran perfect using Dynojets provided maps without any modifications (No Dyno Tuners in the area). i recently got a job in Egypt and took my bike along with me, ever since it has been running like crap, most recently stalls after a few minutes of ideling. i changed the fuel filter (1500 Miles) thinking i got some dirt in there, cleaned my airfilter, checked the spark plugs..nothing. i hooked up the stock O2 sensors to try it out (Closed loop with the PCV) and the problem went away, however the bike is running like crap and the exhaust is popping and crackeling all over the place. Dealership says i gotta install a SERT (which costs 750USD here) and i dont think they have a dyno to tune it peroperly. Any suggestions?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:38 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

check your connections to the pc make sure they are not loose or corroded.