Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 FLHX Exhaust Bolt Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 FLHX Exhaust Bolt Problem

Also posted in another forum:

Just a heads up to those of you riding 2010 Street Glides and Road Glides with the factory 2-1 exhaust, seems the bolts that hold the exhaust bracket to the transmission have a habit of coming loose and falling out. A couple of shops that I talk with have mentioned seeing this problem quite frequently.

First indication I had was a transmission leak on the right side of the bike. Had the bike up on the jack to install my new amp and a small puddle of fluid "appeared" under the right side of the transmission over night. Got to looking around and found the two bolts that hold the bracket to the transmission gone. Talked to a couple of techs I know and they replied that the problem has been occurring fairly often.

Now to the fun part, in my case looks like I will have to pull the exhaust to install the bolts. I talked with the service manager at the dealer about this being a warranty issue and he wouldn't take it in to replace the bolts but did give me the bolts. Said something about it being my problem since I had after market exhaust. I argued that it shouldn't be an issues since the D&D exhaust was designed to use the stock bracket. He still declined to do the work.

One annoying thing here is the fact that I have bought two bikes and an engine through this dealer in the last 16 months. Seems like there could have been a little consideration shown on the exhaust warranty issue. Guess they must be too busy in the shop..

Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also on bikes with 2-1-2. I posted the same thing a couple months ago. I check the two bolts every wash. I will do a more permanent fix when I replace the head pipe. Good catch though.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector 12
Also posted in another forum:

Just a heads up to those of you riding 2010 Street Glides and Road Glides with the factory 2-1 exhaust, seems the bolts that hold the exhaust bracket to the transmission have a habit of coming loose and falling out. A couple of shops that I talk with have mentioned seeing this problem quite frequently.

First indication I had was a transmission leak on the right side of the bike. Had the bike up on the jack to install my new amp and a small puddle of fluid "appeared" under the right side of the transmission over night. Got to looking around and found the two bolts that hold the bracket to the transmission gone. Talked to a couple of techs I know and they replied that the problem has been occurring fairly often.

Now to the fun part, in my case looks like I will have to pull the exhaust to install the bolts. I talked with the service manager at the dealer about this being a warranty issue and he wouldn't take it in to replace the bolts but did give me the bolts. Said something about it being my problem since I had after market exhaust. I argued that it shouldn't be an issues since the D&D exhaust was designed to use the stock bracket. He still declined to do the work.

One annoying thing here is the fact that I have bought two bikes and an engine through this dealer in the last 16 months. Seems like there could have been a little consideration shown on the exhaust warranty issue. Guess they must be too busy in the shop..
Find an old allen wrench that fits the bolts, cut off a portion of the angled section and it will fit in behind the exhaust header so you can tighten the bolts down without having to remove anything.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Find an old allen wrench that fits the bolts, cut off a portion of the angled section and it will fit in behind the exhaust header so you can tighten the bolts down without having to remove anything.
I have already used the cut off wrench trick to reach a couple of the other bolts. Problem in my case, not enough room to get the bolts that are missing back through the bracket and started into the transmission because the exhaust is in the way. Seems on a stock headpipe you can use a ball driver to slip the bolts in but on the D&D there isn't enough room.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:14 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somehow there was enough room for them to fall out. right? or am I missing something?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:21 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info, will be checking my bike tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JRBass
Somehow there was enough room for them to fall out. right? or am I missing something?
I recently bought a new exhaust bracket and had it powder coated black.I have been wondering if there was enough room to get the bolts out without loosening the pipes.I've read on here many times of missing bolts,but it never sunk in to my thick skull,that there was enough room for the darn things to fall out.Thanks.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Originally Posted by JRBass
Part of the problem has been getting my big mitts in there with a bolt in hand past the D&D Fatcat exhaust in the bike.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Bobino
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Has happened on my FLHR 2008 last fall, the bolts were loose. Noticed an oil leak while winterizing the bike. Removed the pipes, pulled out one bolt, locktite and torque, then the other one and there we go. Will check the result in spring. (end of March in our area).