Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to look at my first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:45 AM
nickel dime
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to look at my first Harley

I'm about to go look at a 2001 FLHTCI that is selling for $8400. Single owner, 14K miles, garage kept etc, etc, etc. I know you guys have been asked this a thousand times (and I promise to check the self help section before asking too many stupid questions) but is there anything I should look out for on this bike, regular problems or other issues?

Another thing I've been trying to figure out is what is the difference between the "C" the "CI" and the "UCI"? I'm assuming the C is carbed and the CI has EFI but what does the Ultra have that the others don't?

Thank You for putting up with a newbe

Old 11-01-2011, 06:06 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure it's not a FLHTCUI ?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With that mileage and garage kept, sounds like it may be a good deal, what about extras? Just make sure all the numbers match and clean title, I would still haggle a bit on the price anyway.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 AM
nickel dime
Cruiser

Sorry, I got the CUI mixed up. The ad lists it as a CI. I've talked to him once on the phone and going to look at it after work tonight.

He said the only extras he's put on it is a true dual exhaust with aftermarket mufflers, a leather Corbin seat and lower fairings. He also says he has the title in hand.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

would not use the term "only" in a negative way for those upgrades. Sounds like some nice upgrades.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:44 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its an Electraglide classic fuel injected. Difference between it and an Ultra are- lower farings(which hes added), no cb, no intercom, no rear speakers on tourpak, no lights in tourpak, i think the front fender rail is different. That sounds like a pretty good price if its been taken care of.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:18 AM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a decent deal. The twin cam 88's have cam chain tensioner problems. Something to have checked or see if the owner fixed it. I know someone that just upgraded his to the hydraulic setup with the new oil pump and it cost him a 1000. welcome to the forum

Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
nickel dime
Cruiser

Thanks for the information. I have a lot to learn about these big boys.

I intended the remark to the "only" upgrades as a positive thing. I'm looking for a mostly stock bike so that I can customize it (or not) to fit me rather than adapting to someone else's personality.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thenewrage
Sounds like a decent deal. The twin cam 88's have cam chain tensioner problems. Something to have checked or see if the owner fixed it. I know someone that just upgraded his to the hydraulic setup with the new oil pump and it cost him a 1000. welcome to the forum

With 14k I dont see that being a huge issue, only if those are 14k city miles, but would definitely get them checked either way. 2001 was also the last year for the margetti marelli injection. Do a search on it. Those that have it may chime in a give you their experiences. I seems a decent price but I would show up with less in cash say 7800 and have some extra in the car and see what he says. Hard to turn cash down when you see it. Good luck

Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Sounds like a very good deal with those extras

Quick Reply: About to look at my first Harley