Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Wear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Tire Wear?

I have 11,600 miles on my 2010 StreetGlide with original Dunlop tires. From what I read here on the Forum, I have just about run my limit. When I look at the tires they still look great to me. I dont see any evidence of the "tire wear indicators" running across the rear tire anywhere. Should I run these tires until I see the "wear indicators"? I pretty much ride one-up without much additional weight on the bike except for road trips and multi-day tours.

Appreciate any advice.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Saved Sinner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed mine on 2010 Ultra at 16,300 miles only because I had already bought a new tire and chrome wheels and was ready for more chrome. Could have gone 2-3000 miles more.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:05 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Great mileage,I'd get what you can which is prob. gonna be several more thousand miles and then I'd prob. stick with that tire.I made the mistake and bought a Dunlop rear tire from a buddy who closed his shop.It was the 404 I believe,the one that doesn't have "harley davidson" on the sidewall.I think I got about 4 months out of it. It's the load rating that was the main reason. You'll find that there's alot of threads on here about tires...just like oil and everything else,everybody has their opinion.Stick with what works best for you.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't change the tire yet. I have the same tire on my 2010 RK. I've got 12K on it and the rear tire still looks great. Might get 18K out of it. I've heard of some getting over 20K out of the 09 and newer 407R tires.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:35 PM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just replaced my back tire on my 2000 model dresser.... i dont get close to the miles yall posted.. i got 9800 miles outa a dunlop elite 3.... before i run that tire, i averaged around 5000 miles per back tire... i dont ride like a turtle , so i guess thats why

Old 02-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

This is an old subject here. We usually get some idiots that brag about wearing their tires down to the cord. The thing is, tires are worn out before the wear bars are reached, especially fronts. A thin tire is more prone to punctures and damage, and its ride and wet performance are compromised. When you think you still have a couple of thousand miles left, it's time. Bikes are different, tires are different, roads are different, and riding styles are different, so you can not depend on anyone else's experience.

You only have two, think about it.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:53 PM
madcatter
Intermediate

i got 8300 on my 09 ultra before it seriously needed replaced.i also aint no turtle rider,but other than that i beleive its the torque created during acceleration that really wears the tread.if ya stop-n-go alot with rocket starts i cant expect more than what i have.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,871 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Wear indicators show up a short time before cords.

I left Laconia a couple of years ago and had an indicator just starting to show. I figured, no big deal, I'll get it done when I get home. (800 miles)

Rode home in rain for about 3/4 of the trip, all I could think about was the tire. I got home the second day and there were cords showing through on 25% of the tire.

Never again for me, I want good treads on all the time. Tires are too cheap to screw with trying to squeeze them for the last few hundred miles.

Measure the tread depth at the worst point and decide how much is left.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Check it with a tire tread checker to know exactly how much tread is left. I get about 12k - 15k on mine for what it"s worth.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never seen the "tire wear indicators" or even looked for them but I understand they are located by the triangles on the sidewall. I change before I get near 2/32nd's measured randomly using a tire ware gauge.

The '09's and above have the new multi-compound tires so it seems like you should get more miles than that. Of course, it depends on how you ride and on what kind of roads you ride on too, I guess.

Quick Reply: Tire Wear?