Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water is speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:31 AM
wsaxton
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water is speedometer

I have a 2009 Ultra Classic with 15,000 miles on it. Yesterday I noticed water in the speedometer and tachometer as I rode home from work. I stopped by my local HD dealer and their response was this is normal and not covered under warrantee. The wording I was given was that it was an environmental thing. Is this normal and is what others have been told.

The glass on both units fogs up if sun beats down on them and goes away when they cool off. This can not be good and should not happen I would think. Anyone else experience this and what should I do?

Thanks
Bill

Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation Common....

I experienced the EXACT same thing - my dealer sent them back to HD for replacement under warranty.

I was very concerned that moisture can so easily get into the gauges, that makes no sense to me.

Originally Posted by wsaxton
I have a 2009 Ultra Classic with 15,000 miles on it. Yesterday I noticed water in the speedometer and tachometer as I rode home from work. I stopped by my local HD dealer and their response was this is normal and not covered under warrantee. The wording I was given was that it was an environmental thing. Is this normal and is what others have been told.

The glass on both units fogs up if sun beats down on them and goes away when they cool off. This can not be good and should not happen I would think. Anyone else experience this and what should I do?

Thanks
Bill

Old 03-02-2011, 05:40 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is true. As much as I hate to admit it, mine does it also and several hundred other have the same issue with thier gauges. The gauges are not sealed from the environment. Humidity and when you wash your UC moisture will get into the gauges.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,879 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Unfortunately, it's normal.

Park it the sun and let it bake. It's just a temporary solution, but it's cheap.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 AM
J-Rod75
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True that conditions can occur where your guage faces can build up condensation....but I've never had this happen on any bike--and if it did...I would certainly throw a fuss over it. A buddy had a ZX9r and it happened.....they were replaced with no problems and my other friend had a night train and they replaced his as well....I'd talk to your dealer again....esp if the bike is COOL when you wash it and kept out of the elements etc. Guages are there for a reason...and it sure would be nice to see em.

And IF NOT.....then apparently this issue is huge and the guages will most likely suffer no ill effect--as won't any wiring...so WTF....ride away...lol. But I'd still throw a lil stink...

Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Ultimately the constant wetting and drying will stain the inside of the gauge glass and will also take it's toll on the gauge face. I've seen it a thousand times. On my last Harley after having replaced the gauges three times, I went with the Dakota Digital gauges. Problem was solved for ever more right up until I sold her, and she is still good today. Haven't had the problem with my 2010 Street Glide yet, but I'm sure I will. I like the silver faced gauges she is sporting, but first sign of moisture and its Dakota once again.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If you turn the bike on (no start kill switch off) and let it set for 30 min to an hour the gauge light will heat up the air in the gauge and cook out the moisture.

Or just take a good ride.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:38 PM
mstakern
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell my gauges fog up when I go out in the winter to start it every week or two just from idling. It does eventually go away. Very disappointing when you drop that amount of coin on a bike, but that is the way it is.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Failz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh, it happens with all of us. So that way, I get to make up what the speedo says! I can pretend it says 70 zillion mph and I'm the fastest guy in the WOOOOOORLD!!!! Until grandma hugging her steering wheel passes me....

I suppose if you get pulled you can tell Mr. Policeofficerman that "Officer, due to the MoCo's slackarseness I was unable to read my vehicle's speedometer and therefore unable to tell if I was speeding or not. This is an issue I and the rest of the Harley riders have brought up to the company butt they just don't care.

AND THEN!

Mr. Policeofficerman will say: MY GOODNESS, CITIZEN! I was not aware of this heinous crime on our fair denizens of this great country! This is clearly not your fault, you are free to go! Excuse me while I go all Loose Canon on these ****'s and saaave the day!

Yea, that's exactly how it will play out.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:54 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

pretty normal on my first 3 baggers i had, but my 2008 has not fogged up
i never had any long term issues with staining or wrecking the wiring on those older bikes
probably 150000 miles

Quick Reply: Water is speedometer