Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bat-wing'ers: Why didn't you buy a FUGLY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:17 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bat-wing'ers: Why didn't you buy a FUGLY?

I've owned a total of four Ultra Classic's, and two of those could easily have been a Street Glide. I've ridden a FUGLY a few times that belong to a buddy, racking up quite a few highway miles, and have test ridden them every time when deciding on a new Harley purchase.

SUBJECTIVELY, I'm a fan of the classic bat-wing styling and looks. I like that a new 2011 model looks similar to bikes dating back to the early 70's or so. I've always felt that the FUGLY had a lot more wind and buffeting at speed. Handling and comfort on any Harley model is extremely subjective, which is one of the reasons many owners change out the seat, shocks and handlebars. I've always been happy with the ride and comfort, plus the standard level of equipment and the ability to carry what I need with me in the Tour-Pak. First one I had with cruise seemed like an unnecessary feature, but turns out I use it quite a bit, if even only for a couple of minutes, to rest my throttle hand on highway runs.

Obviously, we all have our own reasons for buying what we did, and tend to be fiercely loyal to that model.

So, when you bought your Electra Glide, Ultra or Street Glide, why did you choose it over the FUGLY?

Old 03-05-2011, 02:29 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly - I think for me, it was that I didn't like feeling like I was on a sport bike. I felt really dissoriented knowing the bars and tire was moving but the front end wasn't. Felt the same thing when I road a buddies Goldwing. Not to mention it is the ugliest bike Harley makes. MHO.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Because I didn't want my bike to look like a far east space turd.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:35 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,272 Likes on 21,370 Posts

Originally Posted by LMmarine86
Honestly - I think for me, it was that I didn't like feeling like I was on a sport bike. I felt really dissoriented knowing the bars and tire was moving but the front end wasn't. Felt the same thing when I road a buddies Goldwing. Not to mention it is the ugliest bike Harley makes. MHO.
What he said...and never cared for the look.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:42 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Do not like the look, do not like the fixed fairing orientation while riding, rode one once and hated the wind buffeting, did I mention that the looks leave something to be desired?

Old 03-05-2011, 02:44 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Because when I bought mine, the RG had a blonde engine. Plus my wife felt more secure with the tour-pak. I caught her in a weak moment, so I wasn't going to shop alot.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:45 PM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the opposite and bought a Fugly over an Ultra Classic. I get bored with **** real quick so I've bought more than a few new bikes but I'll have to say that the Fugly impresses me. Maybe it's the new frame (last touring bike was a 2008) or whatever but I like the bike. I don't get the "buffeting" everybody talks about. I did make some changes and additions to the airflow so maybe that is why but the bike is really growing on me. I lay down quite a few miles every year so I'll report back in the fall.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:46 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Now, after riding my BIL's 09 RG, I'd like to have one.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:47 PM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the time, I considered them to be one of the ugliest bikes out there. But now I've seen quite a few custom RG's & I'm starting to like them. I like the potential. Not enough to buy one...yet. I'm planning test riding one this year. Might be a mistake!

Old 03-05-2011, 02:49 PM
mannya4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my first harley last year and had to go with the Street Glide! The reason I didn't go with a fugly if because they are FUGLY! I like the fairing that moves with me and is not stationary. I also don't care for the bug eyed look of the two headlights.

Quick Reply: Bat-wing'ers: Why didn't you buy a FUGLY?