Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto tune or dyno tune for best result's?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:28 AM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Auto tune or dyno tune for best result's?

So if I ran a auto tune system that was at maximum tune, how much difference in hp & torque would there be vs a dyno tune? And can you dyno tune an auto tune system?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Avalanche_Mutt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the competency of the dyno tuner!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx07
So if I ran a auto tune system that was at maximum tune, how much difference in hp & torque would there be vs a dyno tune?
If it is at "maximum tune" (optimal) there would be no difference, as if you're at optimal doing a dyno-tune will only get you back to optimal or worse. Where would depend on the competence of the tech, and expecting a high-level of competence is not a given. WB O2 sensors can tune throughout the bike's operational range, so you can develop a good AFR tune with these products (e.g., PCV-AT, T'Max, and EMS). Fuel Moto sells all of these tuners and it would be wise to give them a call, as they will give you no-BS advise. If you already have a PCV the AT-100 kit would be the best buy among these, IMO.

And can you dyno tune an auto tune system?
Yes, although I don't know why you'd want to do that. OTOH no AT system that I know of will auto-tune ignition advance (not sure about EMS), so to optimize that you'll either need a good canned tune to start with or get a dyno-tune, then let AT do its work as you ride.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:26 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx07
So if I ran a auto tune system that was at maximum tune, how much difference in hp & torque would there be vs a dyno tune? And can you dyno tune an auto tune system?
If the dyno tuner tunes the ignition tables then you would definately benefit from it. If he only tunes the VE tables then probably not much. As a side note, even PowerCommander recommends that you have the auto tune dyno tuned.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts

I run the TMAT on my 117". None of the canned maps available were a good match for my engine build. Although the bike ran fine on a canned map, I was leaving a lot of performance on the table and there were flat spots. Took it to a tuner who dialed it in real nice and made a custom map for the build. It screams now. IMO, there is no way the AT will do that on it's own, it has to be done by a tuner. I have since disabled the AT function because I don't want it "dumbing down" my tune.