Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas smell with PCV?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:54 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Gas smell with PCV?

My '09 Road King has a stage I and I am really happy with it, big difference with the PCV. About the only downside that I can think of, is that it smells like gas fumes when I park in the garage after a ride. I have to leave the garage door open to ventilate the smell.

Anybody else with the same problem? solution?

Regards,

Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 AM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, mine does the same thing, all due to how rich it is now i guess. Vent for half hour and done.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:13 AM
alkrisma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will the power vision do same?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

I don't use that system- questions for the "smelly guys"

1. Is fuel mileage horrible- most agree that 40 MPG or better is where the bikes should be

2. Is the bike idling ( or near idle) for any long length of time before parking?

3. Have you tried bringing the bike up to say 1800 RPM for a short period ( 30 secs), then switching off ( and with the ign. switch- throttle by wire systems can be confused if the throttle is open and the kill switch is used).

Here is where I am going:

If mileage is good, that would indicate that tuning is good at range where bike is usually ridden ( 2500~3500 rpm most of the riding would be in this range)

Could the mixture be off just at the idle range? if the bike is idling, unburnt fuel is collecting--- could running at a higher RPM ( where the mixture is mostly being burned) clear the pipes of unburnt fuel?

This assumes that you are not running the bike in the garage for any length of time, I don't run any motors in there with out assuming the exhaust can't dissipate ( and cars/ water cooled motors are much more efficient- our air cooled motors pass alot of unburned hydrocarbons, so you can't compare there- a lawnmower would be a better comparison.

Smoke, If you see black smoke, that indicates unburned fuel, white smoke is burning oil.
smoke on acceleration only, indicates tuning problem or worn piston rings, smoke of de-accel indicates tuning or worn valve seals- If color is black indicates the former, whiteish, the latter.

Unburnt fuel can also be influenced by cam selection, and pipe design ( if stock this shouldn't come into play).

And with an air cooled motor, tolerances are looser. When the motor is fully warmed, tolerances are correct, better burn is achieved, and mixture needed by over rich ( as it is to keep a cold motor running)

Catalytic failure- where the hydrocarbons are not removed from the exhaust, this can be because the cat didn't get hot enough.

and there is also a chance that the tank is over filled, a fuel line leak or the evaporative canister is loading up with fuel

the evaporative canister is meant to collect fumes and release them into the intake tract when the bike is running- this system can have a kinked line or be overwhelmed by excess fumes.

raw fuel is pretty smelly in the air- standards for old air cooled motors ( porsche, VW, H-D) are at 500 parts per million, modern cars are a fraction of that

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-09-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:00 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

If you have an open air (high flow) cleaner or any non stock a/c the gas smell can come thru the filter media and also sometimes(this did happen to me) the vent line from the gas tank, when the gas tank is removed, sometimes doesn't get re-attached and the fumes are more pronounced. My line, where un-attached, was underneath my seat just in front of it.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:17 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I think I can clear up a lot of worry here. Most of the late model fuel injection bikes have some gasoline fumes emminating from them when they are parked hot in a garage area. There can be a number or reasons why this is occurring. If you give it a little extra gas when going into the garage and then immediately shut it off, there is going to be some raw gas which gives off fumes for a few minutes until it evaporates. If you shoot into the garage, clean out your pipes and then cut the ignition right away, once again you are leaving raw gas in the injectors or thereabouts. So, pretty much all fuel injection bikes are going to do it from time to time. Not much to worry about unless you need to spend time dwelling on such things. Now, if there is a puddle of gas under your bike, then it is time to bring out the worry beads and have a close look.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:29 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

BS!

The bike needs tuned properly. Get rid of the canned map.

This is another good reason to leave in the o2 sensors which means buying a tuner that incorporates all the factory functions.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:34 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,103 Likes on 1,339 Posts

If you are getting a bit of fuel smell it is very likely coming back thru the intake and is an effect from changing the stock air cleaner to the Stage 1. This is completely common when using an open element, and despite a little residual whiff of fuel this does not present any issues whatsoever

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
BS! The bike needs tuned properly. Get rid of the canned map. This is another good reason to leave in the o2 sensors which means buying a tuner that incorporates all the factory functions.
It isn't BS, but constantly proselytizing about the importance of O2 sensors and/or the alleged superiority of your favorite tuner on a PCV thread is. If the garage fills with the smell of gas after you turn the engine off it isn't a result of the map. The O2 sensors would have absolutely nothing to do with this since all they do is act as switches to keep AFRs at stoich during cruise conditions. When the bike is sitting in the garage with engine off it isn't at cruise and the O2 sensors aren't working. You have a distorted view of the importance of the stock O2 sensors, as they have little to do with how well the bike runs or how good the tune is.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

*** Deleted double-post ***

Last edited by iclick; 03-09-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas smell with PCV?