Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

screaming eagle compensator. recall or depends on the dealer ?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:30 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default screaming eagle compensator. recall or depends on the dealer ?

Hello, I have a 09 rkc, bike began to make a "clonck" sound 2 weeks ago every time I start the engine, today the clonck sound louder and the bike moved foward a bit and the engine didnt start (btw it was in neutral). I think it is the compensator, what do you think?

is there an official recal or internal document about this problem? I heard somewhere that some dealers change the compensator for the SE one just paying the diference.

Im from Spain, Harley Davidson Europe is a shame, it is like a circus full of clowns that dont care about customers and have no idea of anything. I asked to 3 dealers in spain and they say "leave the bike here and we will check everything but if it is the compensator is your problem and you will have to buy a new one and install it and it is arround $1500"

So if you know of any official document that says compensator must be changed for the screaming eagle one, please post it or send me a copy.

Thank you!

Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solitario
Hello, I have a 09 rkc, bike began to make a "clonck" sound 2 weeks ago every time I start the engine, today the clonck sound louder and the bike moved foward a bit and the engine didnt start (btw it was in neutral). I think it is the compensator, what do you think?

is there an official recal or internal document about this problem? I heard somewhere that some dealers change the compensator for the SE one just paying the diference.

Im from Spain, Harley Davidson Europe is a shame, it is like a circus full of clowns that dont care about customers and have no idea of anything. I asked to 3 dealers in spain and they say "leave the bike here and we will check everything but if it is the compensator is your problem and you will have to buy a new one and install it and it is arround $1500"

So if you know of any official document that says compensator must be changed for the screaming eagle one, please post it or send me a copy.

Thank you!
We are having similar problems here with this issue, I had problems with my compensator, took it in they looked at it and said they could not replace it until it was broken. The day before however I was told I could pay the difference for the SE compensator. I have not seen any recall or TSB about the replacement of the stock compensator. They know there is a problem with this design because all the 2011 models have the SE compensator. I just purchased it and installed myself cost $300 for everything I needed.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:07 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A circus full of clowns is right. I went through some crazy crap here in Belgium before I gave up and just decided I'll find the time to do all wrenching myself.

Example: I've been having compensator problems and told them exactly what I wanted them to check. It seemed the service representative understood exactly what I was talking about. When he called me to pick up the bike he had put in new spark plugs and wanted to charge me $160 Euro for it. Not once did he crack open the primary. Now I have a lift and taking care of myself.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:38 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading many posts on here it seems very much a dealer call. My dealer (who admittedly I never use the service dept) was very close to doing it for the cost of the ESP deductible but in the end came up with a symptom I have never read about so they said "no."

He would start then turn off my bike and since he did not hear a gravel sound as it was turned off then I didn't have a problem. Never heard that as a "check" and left resolved to just do it myself this year.

I have got to remember to call and try to get credit for that ESP bought but never used.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:39 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Mine was upgraded to the S/E at no cost to me. I even offered to pay the difference, and was told by the service manager that he'd get it covered.

I really miss Harley Davidson of Maryland.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 AM
TheRainMan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley has an arrangement with Deeley in Canada - they seem to have Mafiosi tactics and have locked all dealers out of replacing the compensator until it is literally toasted. A clunk isn't enough - they seem to want to see bodies on the highway...

Old 05-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Guy2008Ultra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer I bought my used 2008 Ultra with 14K on it, won't repalce it so I guess I have to spend the money and do it myself.
I was told that some make the bang noise and some don't. It's normal.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 PM
SKMLG
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue for about 2 years and finally took it in (after the factory warranty had expired).

Lucky for me the service manager took interest and said he would submit a claim for a "goodwill warranty" with Harley and see if they cover it.

Two days later, all I had to pay was a $99. "good will fee" and they covered everything. They even sprung for a new design starter clutch and some other "revised" starter drive parts with the SE compensator. Total repair bill was over $900.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:09 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by SKMLG
I had the same issue for about 2 years and finally took it in (after the factory warranty had expired).

Lucky for me the service manager took interest and said he would submit a claim for a "goodwill warranty" with Harley and see if they cover it.

Two days later, all I had to pay was a $99. "good will fee" and they covered everything. They even sprung for a new design starter clutch and some other "revised" starter drive parts with the SE compensator. Total repair bill was over $900.
Sounds like you have a great dealer. Keep supporting your local dealer and they will usually take care of you.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Harley doesn't believe in recalls, lot 08 and 09 have throttle loss while on hwy which is very dangerous, to date Harley will charge you if you want it get repaired with new improved parts. They replaced my compensator after it broke into pieces I paid the difference to get SE one.