Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"best" position for highway pegs

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 PM
407Guy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "best" position for highway pegs

I'm looking to get some highway pegs for my FLHX (2009).

A couple weeks ago I was at the local HD dealership and one sales person said for me to get the long-angled pegs for my bike because "your knees need to be bent." I'm about 5'7" and the long seems like it will be too much for me.

Anyone have thoughts on the comment quoted above?

Granted I did not ask "how much" they should be bent but I though the purpose of the highway pegs is to stretch your legs out.

Thanks for any info/opinions.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:25 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I got the long angled pegs for a gift and they were to long. I have a 32" inseam on a tall day. I changed to the short and they are perfect for me. Mine are mounted low so I can rest my heels comfortably on the boards if I want.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it's personal preference and depends on height, leg length, etc. I am 6'2" and no matter where I put my feet, my knees are bent. I would just go with comfortable, but I guess if your legs are full extended and straight out, that might put weight on your knees or make your knees hurt after a long time.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 PM
407Guy
Cruiser

I'm about a 29-30" inseam.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM
407Guy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sargek
I guess it's personal preference and depends on height, leg length, etc. I am 6'2" and no matter where I put my feet, my knees are bent. I would just go with comfortable, but I guess if your legs are full extended and straight out, that might put weight on your knees or make your knees hurt after a long time.
Yeah, that's the thing. You can't really "test ride" the pegs. I don't want to spend money on one set to think, "sh*t, i shoul have gotten the other ones."

Old 03-10-2011, 12:31 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your legs arent bent the knees are in a "locked" position and it becomes uncomfortable. BUT if thats what you like great. Bottom line highway pegs are very adjustable and the only way to find out what you like is to put them on and (heres the best part) go for a ride and see if they are going to work in that position. Heck you may even end up changing them for the ride you are going on that day/s. If you like 'em stretched out for short runs, do it, then adjust them for longer runs when needed... Its all about comfort for YOU.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:31 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 30 inch inseam and have the shorts. They worked great before I added my vented lowers. Now that I have the vented lowers I cant turn them in as much and they are a little to far out.

I would go with the longs if I was you.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:57 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think no matter what length or where you put them, if you are on the bike long enough you're going to want a change. I have the short extensions and my knees are bent slightly, I can push back on them and sit back on the seat and that will straighten my legs under pressure, or I just hang my feet over them and let my ankles rest on them, that works too. But sometimes I want them higher or lower. Some times I stand up and ride, when I was younger I put my feet on the handle bars. There is no perfect position if you are on the bike long enough.

Added: I tried the long ones but exchanged them for the short because the long ones were to close to the shifter and brake.

Last edited by jjnoble; 03-10-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master

I just went through this decision at the dealership last weekend. One salesman had recommended the short, a more experienced on the long. I bought the long under the theory I could always exchange them. I am 5'8" with a 29 inch inseam and ride a RKC. The long offset were definately the right answer for me. I mounted them so they are just above the brake pedal and out about 2". It was perfect. Had they been a bit long I could have just mounted them higher and angled them down as they adjust in several directions. Short would have been no good.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:15 PM
407Guy
Cruiser

Cool, thanks everyone.

Keep the thoughts/opinions coming.

Quick Reply: "best" position for highway pegs