Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics Of Your FLTC Tour Glides.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Back some years ago, when most Harleys still had mechanical odometers, I walked around at Americade, checking the mileage on bikes that caught my eye.

Just about all the high-mileage Harleys were Tour Glides. A few FXR's in there, too.

I never owned a Tour Glide myself, but I'm on my second Road Glide. First one ended up with 136,000 when I traded it for the second (an '07 bought in '11). Had 7300 when I picked it up. Doing 40,000 mile services tomorrow...

Old 05-07-2014, 05:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Great thread Johnny, reminds me of a great time I had on a rental FLT back in '85, while taking in Daytona bike week.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Jeremy Haynes
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my 84 fltc

Here is my 84 fltc daily rider and working to find parts to put it back to year correct. cannot believe how much ebay fairings are. have a line on the enclosed chain assbly, so if you guys now where to get parts let me know please

Old 05-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Jeremy Haynes
6th Gear

The day I brought her home road from ft worth to tyler good ride for us to get to know one another

Old 05-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Haven't taken a pic of mine for a while, the overhaul got put on a back burner, family had other plans. At least I got it out of the house, had to put the front and back ends back on to roll it out, felt like wasted effort. Sure got a lot of work ahead for it, winter project turned into a summer project, and I'd wanted to ride it. Might have worked, if not for the frame welding it needs - not in the living room...

Must be a couple hundred pounds off it, sure is a lot easier to move around this way. Not worried about dust in the primary, all that and the transmission is coming off anyway. One thing I'm finding out about a 120,000+ mile, 25 year old bike, is that you can expect to find a new problem under everything you take off. I intend to put it back together starting with a bare, repainted frame.

Name:  outside.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  53.0 KB

Old 05-15-2014, 09:51 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
I intend to put it back together starting with a bare, repainted frame.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:59 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice thread. I was looking for a couple shovels in here, but all the pics look like EVOs.

Way before Malcom Forbes, etc... I had a number of Shovels. My favorite was a FLH cop bike. 1974.

Tour glides are way cool, IMHO.

Very Nice Bike, Johnny. Being its an EVO, you could ride that all over the place and have fun!!!!!

Old 05-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Sissy24
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because we all like to brag/show off our bikes, I'm contributing. Engine rebuilt 2010. I inherited it end of 2011. Had indy shop lower back end 2", customized dad's old Le Pera bare bones solo seat, kickstand extension and new tires.

I am just beginning to learn how to work on the bike myself. So far I've lubed up the clutch cable while replacing the old levers with Kuryakyn Trigger levers and installing the EZ-Pull clutch assist. Great improvement there. Also fixed/replaced a lot of bad wiring on the back end and got the running lights and turn signals working again. Also fixed sloppy jiffy stand. This fall I will do my first oil change myself, and this winter will attempt to figure out why the gauges and radio doesn't work.

Books I recommend are:

Clymer Harley-Davidson Shovelheads 1966-1984
Motorcycle Electrical Systems Trouble Shooting and Repair by Tracy Martin
Donny's Unauthorized Technical Guide - 1936-Present Volume V - Parts I and II - The Shovelhead: 1966 to 1985
And of course the original beat up maintenance/repair manual

Last edited by Sissy24; 05-16-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: damn pics
Old 05-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Jeremy Haynes
6th Gear

Does anyone know if memphis shade batwing will fit the 84-tourglide and if so what plates need to be ordered

Old 05-16-2014, 03:27 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sissy,

Very cool ride, liking the solo seat. I didn't know there was an EZ clutch device for our older rides. I believe my clutch assembly is different than yours, and the new rides. They made an odd setup for a few years.

As for reading material here's one for you:

101 Harley-Davidson Evolution Performance Projects 101 Harley-Davidson Evolution Performance Projects

By Kip Woodring Kenna Love By Kip Woodring Kenna Love

JEREMY, it would be best for you to check with Memphis Shades as to their fitment. I suspect they offer the correct bracketing. Good luck tracking it down.

IMOLD, Lot's of ambition. I admire your project.

Quick Reply: Pics Of Your FLTC Tour Glides.