Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics Of Your FLTC Tour Glides.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:02 PM
dirtygurty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb

ill email them to you.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:52 AM
kino44
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1984 fltc

I will post my PICS soon restoring my 1984 FLTC at the moment

Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems I've come full cycle. Owned my FLTC for 5 years. It was in perfect condition for almost 3 weeks before a left hand turner put my wife and I down hard on the right side. I busted 5 ribs and my hand, she had internal injuries and a broken wrist. Took us 4 months before she could get back to work. Took me 6 months to be able to use my right hand without issues and the ribs still give me some pain.

The bike repair was estimated at $11K (a lot of little things that are hard to see in the left hand side picture) and I proceeded to buy everything to put it back together. I got as far as making it ride-able again, even putting on the aftermarket stereo caddy with an all new sound system which was quite the job to put it all together.

The day we went to the dealer to get the OEM windshield there was a brand new 2014 (8 miles) that had been there 18 months waiting for us to find it. It was marked down several thousand. We picked up the parts on the 3rd and 10 days later we signed the papers.

One reason was ABS braking which I believe would have saved us from the collision. The other reason was that I spent around $3,500 each year on fixing up and renovating the '86 for the 5 years I owned it. Turns out that's about what our payments are on the new Rushmore Ultra Classic.

So here is the last day it was in my possession as later in the day I delivered it to a good friend of mine who wanted it badly. He plans on fixing everything damaged in the accident and I supplied him with all the parts I had accumulated for it. Between the insurance money, which was a down payment, and what he paid to buy it, I have over a year's worth of payments setting in savings. And we're hoping our final insurance settlement will pay off the balance...maybe.

Goodbye EVO. Wish I could have put an ABS system on it. And getting into a collision is not the best way to afford a new bike... but when it works out it is a nice deal. It's the hard way, trading off the pain and suffering.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 04-27-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Ruffinit
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As you say, it's a helluva way to buy a new bike. You say that you purchased an aftermarket radio caddy (I saw the pics of the broken one). Where were you able to find that? I've been looking for one, but didn't want to spend 4-600 on someone's old beat up unit.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:06 PM
saz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Seems I've come full cycle. Owned my FLTC for 5 years. It was in perfect condition for almost 3 weeks before a left hand turner put my wife and I down hard on the right side. I busted 5 ribs and my hand, she had internal injuries and a broken wrist. Took us 4 months before she could get back to work. Took me 6 months to be able to use my right hand without issues and the ribs still give me some pain.

The bike repair was estimated at $11K (a lot of little things that are hard to see in the left hand side picture) and I proceeded to buy everything to put it back together. I got as far as making it ride-able again, even putting on the aftermarket stereo caddy with an all new sound system which was quite the job to put it all together.

The day we went to the dealer to get the OEM windshield there was a brand new 2014 (8 miles) that had been there 18 months waiting for us to find it. It was marked down several thousand. We picked up the parts on the 3rd and 10 days later we signed the papers.

One reason was ABS braking which I believe would have saved us from the collision. The other reason was that I spent around $3,500 each year on fixing up and renovating the '86 for the 5 years I owned it. Turns out that's about what our payments are on the new Rushmore Ultra Classic.

So here is the last day it was in my possession as later in the day I delivered it to a good friend of mine who wanted it badly. He plans on fixing everything damaged in the accident and I supplied him with all the parts I had accumulated for it. Between the insurance money, which was a down payment, and what he paid to buy it, I have over a year's worth of payments setting in savings. And we're hoping our final insurance settlement will pay off the balance...maybe.

Goodbye EVO. Wish I could have put an ABS system on it. And getting into a collision is not the best way to afford a new bike... but when it works out it is a nice deal. It's the hard way, trading off the pain and suffering.

I hear ya! Last August I was T-boned by a guy in an F-150 while on my 99 night train. I spent 10 days in the hospital with my left femur in 15 pieces, open tib/fib fracture, TBI, memory loss and almost bled out. Femur fracture cut my femoral artery and I lost 4 pints before the EMT's noticed the spurt from my tib fib fracture....... Just had my second surgery last month, there was a femur fracture that never healed, but I should be good now. The worst part was, my EVO Night Train was JUNK! Best part was my helmet showed his grill and hood who was boss! There was absolutely no salvaging the bike, and how I came across the 07 I have now.

Very happy to see your wife and you up and about again! It is a little scary how fast that crap can happen with someone not paying attention, isnt it!

Sad to see the old steel go, I was. That's why I bought my 96 tourglide. I have to have an evo or shovel around. Wife has come to terms with the fact that it is non-negotiable......

Good luck with the new bike and godspeed!

Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ruffinit
As you say, it's a helluva way to buy a new bike. You say that you purchased an aftermarket radio caddy (I saw the pics of the broken one). Where were you able to find that? I've been looking for one, but didn't want to spend 4-600 on someone's old beat up unit.
I was very lucky to find a radio caddy. Back in the 80s there was a manufacturer making a caddy but they are rare. I don't understand why the OEM is not around it was much anymore? They used them into the 90's. Mine came attached to a 1980 FLTC fairing I picked up to replace the damaged original. There's even a whole conversation about the caddy.

WTB Stereo Caddy for '86 FLTC Tour Glide Classic.

Originally Posted by saz
Very happy to see your wife and you up and about again! It is a little scary how fast that crap can happen with someone not paying attention, isnt it! ...

Good luck with the new bike and godspeed!

Thanks for the well wishes but it really sounds like you got seriously injured. I hope your recovery is a quick one from here on out.

It's a rush to jump to a new bike. I never, ever expected to afford one, but even through the collision, the wife and I knew how much we love to ride and that we would be back in the saddle again.

I wanted to clarify that the $11K caught me way off gaurd. But there are a couple of perfect condition '86 FLTC being sold for that amount. When it came down to the offer to settle I excepted $5,800 and then bought it back for $900. The total included damaged safety gear.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 04-27-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:08 PM
heavyd460
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2011 Road Glide Custom. A bit of powder coat, and a couple of go-fast goodies.

Attached Thumbnails Pics Of Your FLTC Tour Glides.-photo2.jpg  
Old 04-27-2015, 02:47 PM
saz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Thanks for the well wishes but it really sounds like you got seriously injured. I hope your recovery is a quick one from here on out.

It's a rush to jump to a new bike. I never, ever expected to afford one, but even through the collision, the wife and I knew how much we love to ride and that we would be back in the saddle again.

I wanted to clarify that the $11K caught me way off gaurd. But there are a couple of perfect condition '86 FLTC being sold for that amount. When it came down to the offer to settle I excepted $5,800 and then bought it back for $900. The total included damaged safety gear.

Yeah, dealing with insurance companies, hospitals and lawyers is about as much fun as (forgive the crude analogy) masturbating with a cheese grater........

11K was the repair estimate? WOW! I wanted to buy my 99 back, but that apparently isn't allowed in Colorado. It was going to find a final resting place above my Buddy's bar as a subtle reminder.

The new ones will give you a bit of a sticker shock, that is for sure and for certain. One good thing came out of the accident. My wife was motivated to get back on her own bike after 10 years once she saw how fast I was willing to get back on. Sometimes you need to see the good in any situation.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:14 PM
dirtygurty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TOUR GLIDE!!!!!! that looks like not a tour glide to me.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:31 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

This thread is for Tour Glides.

Not Night Trains or Road Glides. There are specific areas if you want to show them, or anything else off.

Please be considerate, Unless you have an FLT, FLTC, or an FLTCU to show or discuss then locate the right thread to show or discuss other models.

If you have converted Tour Glides you are welcome to share those here too.

Thanks for the consideration and understanding that this discussion is specifically about Tour Glides.

Quick Reply: Pics Of Your FLTC Tour Glides.