Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Safety Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:53 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GPS Safety Mount

I was looking at the places on my bike to mount the GPS, and since I have the over sized windshield it will mount there with the suction cup. I am wondering if anyone else has theirs mounted on the windshield and if so doe the vibration cause any problems. Also is there such a thing as a tether or some way to save the GPS if it was to come out of the mount(other than the power cord).

Joe

Old 03-13-2011, 12:09 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

When I had my tom tom, I suction cupped it to the tach glass (shift by sound anyway). Only fell off once in two years (I did have a nylon safety string). I would think the curve to the windshield would lend itself to allowing the suction to break loose easier.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:39 PM
newbietroller
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A buddy of mine mounted his to the windshield of his Ultra Limited last year. When we took the windshield off this winter, it was broken in two spots, probably from the extra weight of the GPS. He has a handlebar mount now.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:22 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info on the tach, hadn't really thought about that. Checked it out, will definitely work. Must have been a big GPS unit, mine is a small Garmin Nuvi and can't imagine it putting any strain on the oversized Clark windshield. I has enough flat surface that the suction cup mounts securely. But I like the tach mounting idea. I did a search on the internet and found idea using a two piece key chain and small cable. Think I will expand on the idea and use a small nylon strap or line(maybe para cord). Just have to figure a way to mount it to the gps unit, mine has no screws holding the case together.

Joe

Old 03-13-2011, 02:18 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Try Rammounts.com web site they carry all types of mounts for many different brands of GPS units. Also very reasonably priced.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's another place to get Ram Accessories and mounts. I found them to be very reasonably priced and very fast delivery. I have quite a few things "Ram" mounted to my bike and find they are very versitile.

http://www.mountguys.com/

Old 03-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

Here's one I have for a RG - nice chrome & mounts on top of my Instrument cluster ...

http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/

Old 03-13-2011, 03:05 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Watched one fall off my buddy's bike last year while he was riding. He thought the suction cup would hold too. Luckily he saw it falling and actually grabbed it before it was lost. He later installed a short tinted windscreen and drilled a hole in it for the GPS mount. He put a decorative acorn nut on the outside and it looked pretty good, for what it was.

There's lots of good products out there. I use a Ram mount because I can remove the entire assembly easily when I park and the only thing remaining on the bike is the small ball mount. Some products look great when the GPS is installed, but look like a hunk of junk when you remove the GPS.

Shop around for a decent mount. Don't rely on a suction cup.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

ive had the suction cup fall off the car window.use a mount that screws clamps or bolts on.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

I recommend a Ram mount. If you go with the suction cup, you might want to tether the GPS to the bike, just in case the suction cup comes loose.

Quick Reply: GPS Safety Mount