Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Senior Rider
Default Cleaning up solenoid terminals

Yesterday I cleaned all the battery cables and tried to clean the solenoid terminals. The upper one (battery) was easy to access, the lower one (motor) is in very tight quarters. Does the solenoid have to be removed to access this post for cleaning. Not sure it needs it as the starter seems to be working fine now that I removed some corrosion at the post on the solenoid. I would just like to go ahead and clean everything while I'm into it. Anyone done this particular service? TIA, Roy

"Everything that kills me makes me feel alive" ONEREPUBLIC
Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Norton View Post
Yesterday I cleaned all the battery cables and tried to clean the solenoid terminals. The upper one (battery) was easy to access, the lower one (motor) is in very tight quarters. Does the solenoid have to be removed to access this post for cleaning. Not sure it needs it as the starter seems to be working fine now that I removed some corrosion at the post on the solenoid. I would just like to go ahead and clean everything while I'm into it. Anyone done this particular service? TIA, Roy
First, remove your ground cable on the battery, you don't want the motor turning over when you do this, it'll make you hurt yourself getting your hand out of there. Remove the three screws on the solenoid cover and the cover itself. Pull the plunger out. Take a file and clean the corrosion from the brass end of the plunger and reinstall.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Senior Rider

Mike, Thanks for the reply and I will pull the plunger out and clean it, too. What I also want to do is clean the outside terminal that is sort of underneath the solenoid. Were you able to remove that lower cable with the solenoid in place?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Norton View Post
Mike, Thanks for the reply and I will pull the plunger out and clean it, too. What I also want to do is clean the outside terminal that is sort of underneath the solenoid. Were you able to remove that lower cable with the solenoid in place?
You'd probably have to remove the starter to do that and that involves the primary cover too. Clean that plunger and you should be in good shape.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Senior Rider

I'm on it. Thanks again Mike.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 AM

P