Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3's on CDs....anyone doing it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 12:31 AM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MP3's on CDs....anyone doing it?

Curious about using the MP3 function of the CD player... Kinda new to the MP3 thing, so I am wondering about it. Looks like I can put ALOT more tunes on 1 cd using the MP3 format . Be nice to have a BIG mix of stuff on 1 cd for the longer cruises. My question is...what is the sound quality like through the harley radio and what exactly do i need to do to convert my cds to mp3's. How do you get the radio to show the song title and artist as well? Do you burn them into folders on the cd or? Thanks guys... Just a thought I had for having 1 CD of tunes...

Old 10-15-2006, 12:51 AM
PrplRdKing
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MP3's on CDs....anyone doing it?

I do MP3's exclusively , I don't even have an antenna anymore. I have Sirius radio and tape it onto my computer and then put it onto a CD. You obviously have internet access so you should be able to convert your CD's into MP3s. I use a program called CDex to convert. Once you put your CD in the program looks for title and artist and labels the songs for you. You can put up to 10 hours of MP3s on one CD and they sound great. The volume seems to be slightly lower than a straight music CD but you can just turn up the volume.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:02 AM
asuperheat
Road Master

I also use mp3 alot load your favorite songs and turn on random works great just convert to mp3 before you burn your cd.(I found free ware on the web to do so)

Old 10-15-2006, 01:03 AM
dionne51
Road Captain

That is pretty much all I listen to is MP3s on CDs that I burn. Volume of the file has nothing to do with the fact they are MP3 files but with settings used while converting. The sound quality is also a function of how high you set the bit rate when making the MP3 files. Anything under 128kbps and you would likely notice that is sounds less clear than the original CD but if you're on the bike with the wind and exhaust you would likely never even notice. I don't burn MP3s at anything less than 160kbps but I use these on systems other than my bike.
I get about 150 or so songs at the 160 bit rate, more if I reduced that setting when converting the files.
I typically just add files to my 'ride' cd and don't put them in any folders but I'm not sure why you couldn't if you wanted to as the system will simply scan through your folders to find the mp3 files.

There are tons of programs out there to help with creating mp3 files. My favorite is actually freeware called 'Audiograbber'. Do a google search for it and you'll find it pretty easily.

Dan

Old 10-15-2006, 01:15 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am waiting for the cd's to be replaced with thumb drives. much better then stupid cds.

Sorry for being off topic.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:25 AM
Tech2
Tourer

I love having an mp3 compatible CD player. You can put well over a hundred songs onto a single CD, and there's really no need for an iPod on your bike. Of course with an iPod you can get more music, but I can fit a lot of music on a few CDs.

You can use Windows Media Player to rip your CDs. If all you are going to use the songs for is playing on you bike, I would rip them at a minimum of 128bit. If you think you will also be using the songs with a digital player (iPod) I wouldn't rip at less than 196bit. There is a difference, and that is my preference. Make sure you save them as mp3 files NOT wmp files. I don't think the HK radio will recognize wmp files. Once you have ripped your CDs, you can burn them to a CD using the burning software in Windows XP, or using any burning software, such as Nero. Burn the files as a data, not a music CD.

And somebody referenced "folders" in a post above, which brings to mind a question:

Can the HK radio deal with folders? I haven't tried. I just burn my 100+ songs to a disc an set the radio to random.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:27 AM
trmn8r
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dionne51
I typically just add files to my 'ride' cd and don't put them in any folders but I'm not sure why you couldn't if you wanted to as the system will simply scan through your folders to find the mp3 files.

Dan
I havent tried but I have been told the HK radio will not read folders all the songs have to be in the cd's root directory. Wish ya could, kinda sucks having 160 songs and no easy way to go from song 1 to song 80 except one song at a time. Seems silly to me my daughers $50 mp3 player can do directories.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:33 AM
dionne51
Road Captain

Yeah, I hear 'ya but I'm not sure I want to be looking through folders on my radio's display while I'm driving. Using the random play feature is nice but I agree that it is a pain in the @$$ to be on song 21 and know what you want to hear is on track 125. I was at least hoping that if I toggle the button to jump to the next track that I could hold it down and it would quickly jump through them but to no avail, one by one is all I can do.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:34 AM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I use dBpowerAmp music converter. http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
Does just about anything I want.
Easy to use too.

Often called a Swiss army knife of Audio, dbpowerAMP is able to:

* Digitally Rip Audio CDs and compress to a multitude of audio formats,
* Convert between audio formats whilst preserving ID Tags. Practically every audio type is supported: mp3, mp4, m4a, Windows Media Audio (WMA), Ogg Vorbis, AAC, Monkeys Audio, FLAC, Apple Lossless (ALAC) and many others from Codec Central,
* Volume Normalize & apply DSP effects [Power Pack Option],
* Windows Explorer Integration: right click >> Convert To, popup info tips (bitrate, length), Explorer Columns,
* ID tag editing [Power Pack Option],
* Record from LPs or anything with Auxiliary Input,
* Fully compatible with Windows XP / 2000, etc,
* CD Ripper boasts Fastest CD Ripping with AccurateRip included,
* Free from nags**, popups, hidden spyware or bundleware.

** mp3 encoder on 30 day trial license
After the 30 day trail on the mp3 encoder it will prompt you to license it. I think it cost $24.00 but it is/was well worth it.
*Edit - Correction, I bought the power pack for $24.00 and the mp3 encoder was included.
Give it a try.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:08 AM
Towpro
Banned

ORIGINAL: trmn8r

ORIGINAL: dionne51

Dan
I havent tried but I have been told the HK radio will not read folders all the songs have to be in the cd's root directory. Wish ya could, kinda sucks having 160 songs and no easy way to go from song 1 to song 80 except one song at a time. Seems silly to me my daughers $50 mp3 player can do directories.
I tried to do the "folder' thing, & your right, won't play. But, thats a minor prob anyway, still great to have the MP3 player, like Dionne said, a few hours of your favorite tunes is the way to go.....peace.

Quick Reply: MP3's on CDs....anyone doing it?